• Register Today It's free!

temp gauge moves back and fourth

KobeJ05

Reaction score
City, State
Marina, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer 157k miles
ok so i replaced the radiator, thermostat and radiator cap and my gauge still does back and fourt but when it does go up it goes between the n and o then goes back down below the n. i see no leaking water. could this be my clutch fan? when i accelerate the only time it goes between the n and o then goes just below the n. so im puzzled on whats going on here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine does the same thing (except between O/R), I am suspecting either fan or sending unit ATM. Going to replace the temp gauge sender here next week, will post about if that does anything.

At least I no longer overheat, this is just a bit annoying.

Mine does the exact same thing. New radiator, fan, clutch, water pump, thermostat and cap (not to correct this problem, btw). I suspect it is either a sending unit or just a fluctuation of temps is the thermostat opens and closes. I'm not terribly worried as it never ever gets over halfway on the gauge, but it is kinda weird fore sure.

I had the "H" valve fail on my '94.
While I waiting for the new valve to arrive I had the heater hoses bypassed and my temperature gauge fluctuated as if the thermostat was bad.
Once I installed the new "H" valve the temperature gauge stabilized.
Not sure what caused it. My bypass was not very good, kink in the hose so the flow I'm sure wasn't to good.

Ive changed ALL of it... Ive even went to a aftermarket gauge.. I loose no water its does not run hot but the gauge moves back and forth.. I quit worrying about it

I change all

I had the same problem, but I changed everything: Radiator, thermostat and the two sensors that are mounted at the thermostat's both sides. Attention: A sensor sends information to the engine and the other one to the gauge.
Therefore, it must change both. It worked out well to me and now I have not problems, the gauge marks good the temperature of the motor ( always in normal ).

ok, I only changed the sensor to the gauge.. I didn't change the other one.. I may try that since I have a WHOLE nother Exploder parts truck now and damned if I don't think the parts truck has more power than mine..lol.. It may be geared different but it feels like it has more get up and GO...Its got a cracked head and the interior is raggedy though..

Sep01_001.jpg
works now it was the sending unit. i got it from napa

Good Job

Alright bud. Roll on!:thumbsup:

Nice rig BTW.

Sender was my prob too after a radiator swap. Getting all of the air out of the system is another issue with the infamous swinging temp guage. Glad you figured it out.

I had similar problems recently on my 92. Replaced the thermostat first, which got the needle up a little from being buried on the C side. After replacing the gauge sending unit, it seems to work fine. I'll replace the ECM unit when I have time/money - it looks easier to get to than the gauge one, too.

Back