• Register Today It's free!

temp gauge

ems702

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, Nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 ford explorer 4.0 xlt 4x4. I know there are man many threads about temp gauges but I can't read them all. I just replaced Radiator Full thermostat housing. Temp Sensor. Water pump not leaking acording to mechanic. Fan Clutch is also fine. Occasionally I will be starting to accelerate and as I do the engine will give a reving sound like its sucking air or heavy shift. The temp gauge will go to hi. I turn off AC let off gas it will go back to normal. It does it when AC off as well. After a bit I can turn everything back on and I have no issues after that. It will rev and get up to 3000 rpm. Not sure if its tranny related, that is only about a year old. Its perplexing and I have racked my brain and read so many forums that it's like a WebMD thing. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Have had my Exp for about 4 year and just in last year this started happening and I have replaced and repaired almost everything. Did pressure test it was fine. No air in system just had it burped last week when they replaced thermostat.

You got a bubble in the system or a stuck thermostat. Odds are its the bubble. When refill the system (4 times in the last 3 years) I will usually fill the block through the thermostat hole, and then install the thermostat housing, then top up the rad. Then when I start it leave the heating system on max to get the last of the air out. I had the exact same problem as you the first time I drained the system to change the rad. I also had the same issues when the thermostat stuck closed last spring.

2007 ford explorer 4.0 xlt 4x4. I know there are man many threads about temp gauges but I can't read them all. I just replaced Radiator Full thermostat housing. Temp Sensor. Water pump not leaking acording to mechanic. Fan Clutch is also fine. Occasionally I will be starting to accelerate and as I do the engine will give a reving sound like its sucking air or heavy shift. The temp gauge will go to hi. I turn off AC let off gas it will go back to normal. It does it when AC off as well. After a bit I can turn everything back on and I have no issues after that. It will rev and get up to 3000 rpm. Not sure if its tranny related, that is only about a year old. Its perplexing and I have racked my brain and read so many forums that it's like a WebMD thing. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Have had my Exp for about 4 year and just in last year this started happening and I have replaced and repaired almost everything. Did pressure test it was fine. No air in system just had it burped last week when they replaced thermostat.
Did you get if fixed? I have a similar issue and looking for the answer

Back