• Register Today It's free!

Temp hand

Robrt32

Reaction score
City, State
Sledge Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer XLT
I noticed a lot of threads on the bouncing temp gauge....What is considered getting too hot.... mine seems to be bouncing more and more... I got a new T-Stat but it was the cheap one... Thinking maybe change it to a OEM?... Its going up between the R and M then dropping back down between the O and R... Ive burped it.. I'm also thinking of putting a manual temp gauge in so i can the the exact Temp..At what point would you shut yours down?

only advice i can offer is that mine when i bought it filled the rad up with water but after finally getting it running i left it alone for about 20 minutes and looked at my guage and it was 3/4 of the way up ( around "a" ) found out that the old stat was locked shut and it was starting to run like it was hot so at that point i shut it off .

hope this helps .

It sure is weird, Today i drove it 100 miles or more, temp stayed between the o and r all day, yesterday was cooler than today and yesterday it climbed up to the m , a couple times......haunted..

typicaly if the sending unit forthe guage goes out it will just read slowly going twards cold ,so i don't think it would be that .just make sure you got the correct mix in it and make sure you get all the air out .one way i have found that helps me when i think the fluid level is not what it should be is to park on a slight hill with the nose of the truck pointed up so that all the coolant after it is cold and no pressure goes back to the engine.so when i undo the cap to see how far it has gone down i'll know right off how much it has gone down or from being full .

but like stated before ...new stats have been known to be bad right out of the box .on mine driveing down the road it will stay right at " o" all most all the time but when it's cool and or winter driveing when i start back driveing from a light for example... it will drop down to "n" or just slightlly below that till i get to overdrive(45-50 mph) then it will come back to "o" after a few seconds ...so i guess yeah do move a fair bit for normal driveing temps.

Back