temperature gauge reading hot

raku_you

Reaction score
City, State
Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Sport
Hi,

I have a 1995 Ford Explorer Sport that I recently changed out the instrument cluster because my odometer stopped working.

The instrument cluster is from a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer. Well, now my temperature gauge is reading hot, but not into the red part, all of the time now with the "check gauge" light coming on every now and then.

Do I need to change out the temperature sending unit to make the gauge read "normal" again.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can try changing the sending unit. You should also pull the codes to see why the CEL is coming on. The codes are still stored even if the CEL is off. I'd do that first.

I will change the sending unit this weekend along the thermostat. I am hoping that will solve my problems.

The "check gauge" light started coming on when I swapped out the instrument cluster so I think the temp gauge and the "check gauge" light are somehow related. The truck is not running hot.

The check gauge light is probably coming on because it thinks that the temperature is going too high. Do you have a temperature probe to attact to a multimeter or an IR gun to confirm the temperature that is being displayed?

I had a mechanic plug into the truck's diagnostic port and the temperature reading was normal according to the scan.

Does anyone if the temperature gauge and/or sending unit is the same for a 1995 Explorer Sport and a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer? The two instrument clusters appeared to be the same. All of the other gauges are working fine. It's just the temperature gauge that is reading incorrectly.

RockAuto.Com listed the 1995 Explorer and 1998 Mercury Mountaineer temp sending unit as the same part number. Thanks for the suggestion!

I replaced both the temp sending unit and thermostat yesterday. The truck's temp gauge is still reading hotter than normal. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks.

The problem is the 98 gauge. Somewhere in the gauge there is a resistance change from year to year
This is sending a higher voltage back to the PCM triggering the CEL-even with no real existing problem.
Try switching back to the 95 gauge. The gauges are modular and will "pull out" of the cluster.

I was afraid I was going to have to pull the instrument cluster out again.
OK, when I get a chance I will swap out the temperature clusters.

Thanks everybody for your help.

Well, even though the temp gauge is reading hot at least the "check gauge" light is not coming on anymore after changing the temp sending unit and thermostat.

I guess now I will be changing out the temp gauge on the instrument cluster.

Back