• Register Today It's free!

Temperature Gauge

2XOWNER

Reaction score
City, State
GAINESVILLE FLORIDA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94&92 XLT
I Need Some Advice About My Temp Gauge on my 94 explorer.i Replaced My Radiator And Themostat Today And Now My Temp Gauge Is Constantly MovINg..it Goes To About Half Way And Then Goes Down To The O In Normal..then It Rises To The Half Way Mark And Then Lowers To The O Again..i Need To Know If This Is Normal For New Thermostats Or Not??any Advice Is Much Appreciated..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Moved from tech corner....

Technician's Tips and Tech This forum is where professional automotive technicians or skilled automotive hobbyists can share their tech tips. Do not post your questions here! Post in the forum best suited to your topic. Questions posted in this forum will be deleted!

seems to be a common problem. i dont think its any part just the gauge going nuts. ive learned to just live with it. lots of threads about it though.

sounds like it's working to me. As the thermostat closes, the engine heats up. The gauges goes up. Once a certain temperature is reached, the thermostat opens. Coolant flows through the motor, cooling it off. The gauge goes down.

Mine 1992 does it too even with new temp sending unit ...the one with only single wire that go to the gauge.

That means it's working. It's actually giving you real time info on what's happening. As the motor heats up the temp rises, then the t-stat opens and dumps all that cool water stored in the radiator into the motor, causing the temp gauge to drop again. Then the t-stat closes due the cooler water, and it warms up again until it does it again. Most new t-stats will do this at first, but as they get older the temp gauge will settle out along with the spring in the t-stat.

Mine did that after a thermostat change as well. Are you sure you turned the little orifice to the 12 Oclock position. You might just have to drive it a while to expell all the air out of the system. One way to tell if air is still in the system is right after you turn it off open the hood and look down into the recovery bottle. If you see small bubbles coming up from the lower hose you still have air in there

Problem Solved..i Had A Bad Thermostat..i Purchased Another Thermostat And Changed It Again And It Seems To Be Fine...thanks For All Of The Advice From Everyone..

Back