• Register Today It's free!

Tensioner removal

Blue_Oval_Ford

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Sport 4X4
Ok, not sure where I should ask this question so I am going to place it here. I need to replace both the timing chain tensioners on my SOHC because they are becoming noisy during start-up. I had the 01M01 and 00M12 done by the dealer at 47k miles. I now have 159k miles on the engine so I know the tensioners need to be replaced again. My question is, can I use a standard 27mm socket or do I have to use an impact socket to replace the long tensioner bolt. What is the torque specification for the tensioners? Are they difficult to replace? I have all the parts so I would like to get it done this weekend if possible. Thanks!

Hello, I did my own 00m12 job and am not aware of a torque spec for the long tensioner, you wont need an impact socket, I found it easier with a spanner as the piece that sticks out is really long!
One tip I have is the washer that comes with the kit for the long tensioner is rubbish, really thin and bound to get distorted, I used my old copper washer just rubbed it down flat on a piece of wet and dry on glass and used that instead- it sealed well and I have no leaks- please be careful with the washer if you use the thin one with the kit.........if it gets bent out of shape it will spew oil forever!

Back