Terrain Management Addition? Canbus connection needed | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Terrain Management Addition? Canbus connection needed

Yea, I upgraded my IPC so I cant speak for the PIU IPC as I never did it on that. You may check the PCM, ABS and RCM for a setting that is in there. I know when I added MFT to my PIU I needed to change a setting in the RCM for the 911 assist to work. Point is I wasn't expecting that but it was obvious once I did it why I needed to. I used the F150 Spreadsheet as a reference beings it was so complete. Quite a bit matched up so at least I knew I was headed in the right direction. I will try to remember to check my ATCM for configuration but I don't think I could access it either.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks @bill32399 and @Kikinz24 for the help. I’m now worried the IPC might be required based on what you’ve both said, which I was hoping wasn’t necessary but if it is that would be great to confirm for everyone here.

I am guessing your using the PIU IPC with just the center screen. I know it shows in the Left screen when you switch it so that could be the issue. I found an IPC out of a 13' Limited at the U pull it and put it in. Added a ton of options I did not have before so that alone was worth it to me.

I am guessing your using the PIU IPC with just the center screen. I know it shows in the Left screen when you switch it so that could be the issue. I found an IPC out of a 13' Limited at the U pull it and put it in. Added a ton of options I did not have before so that alone was worth it to me.
Yes I'm using the PIU IPC with the center screen. I was really hoping that this wasn't a requirement. None of the local U-Pull yards have vehicles that new around me and you have to get them through an LKQ or something where they pull it for you, which is more $. But even a quick search on Ebay shows they can be had for $50-75 on the lower end, so not too bad.

How much re-programming was involved with the IPC swap? I wasn't ready to go there yet, so not sure how bad that conversion will be if I'm already this far in. I also wanted to relocate the column shifter to the console this summer so that seems like the perfect time to do this as well. We can start a new thread about swapping IPCs too if that's a good place to document that process in it's own thread. I'd love to confirm this is the last step required to get Terrain Mgmt working though, so I'm tempted to do that swap sooner and or move up the console shifter as well.

Yes I'm using the PIU IPC with the center screen. I was really hoping that this wasn't a requirement. None of the local U-Pull yards have vehicles that new around me and you have to get them through an LKQ or something where they pull it for you, which is more $. But even a quick search on Ebay shows they can be had for $50-75 on the lower end, so not too bad.

How much re-programming was involved with the IPC swap? I wasn't ready to go there yet, so not sure how bad that conversion will be if I'm already this far in. I also wanted to relocate the column shifter to the console this summer so that seems like the perfect time to do this as well. We can start a new thread about swapping IPCs too if that's a good place to document that process in it's own thread. I'd love to confirm this is the last step required to get Terrain Mgmt working though, so I'm tempted to do that swap sooner and or move up the console shifter as well.
Honestly the cluster is plug and play . Only thing that may need changed in it is if your vehicle is awd and remote start options .( My cluster was from a fwd) I never cared to have the awd gauge turned on. As for center console shifter that's an easy task to accomplish aswell. You stated the terrain module is illuminated . Are any of the modes currently red. ?

IPC swap was easy, Just plug and play. I pulled mine and got it for $30. The Explorer I got it from had a front camera which is kinda rare and finding the bit to turn that off so I quit getting the error was a pain. Programming was simple as I used the options in Forscan that were there and it was all I needed for the most part. Now correcting the mileage is gonna be fun as Forscan does not have it available for mine.

IPC swap was easy, Just plug and play. I pulled mine and got it for $30. The Explorer I got it from had a front camera which is kinda rare and finding the bit to turn that off so I quit getting the error was a pain. Programming was simple as I used the options in Forscan that were there and it was all I needed for the most part. Now correcting the mileage is gonna be fun as Forscan does not have it available for mine.
Well I have my IPC in and ATCM module appears in forscan, but when I turn the dial I get an error that the system has a fault. I tried changing the stability control setting to Dynamic to see if that might resolve it but that didn't work. I also have Terrain Mgmt enabled in Forscan as well. Any thoughts on values for the IPC or another module to get it working. And Mileage is off by about 20k miles, so I do need to figure that out too.

Well I have my IPC in and ATCM module appears in forscan, but when I turn the dial I get an error that the system has a fault. I tried changing the stability control setting to Dynamic to see if that might resolve it but that didn't work. I also have Terrain Mgmt enabled in Forscan as well. Any thoughts on values for the IPC or another module to get it working. And Mileage is off by about 20k miles, so I do need to figure that out too.
So I may have found your problem. Did you get you ATCM module out of a 16' or newer Explorer? I found those are all CGEA 1.3 and 11'-15' are CGEA 1.2 networks. If you did buy it out of a newer one than you just need to get one out of an older Explorer. I found this out as I was looking to upgrade my Canbus network to the 1.3 and my new ATCM did exactly what your describing when it was on my older Canbus.

What gauge cluster do you have. If it's a piu cluster it will not show the terrain management the firmware is different from a base ipc1 and ipc2.

What gauge cluster do you have. If it's a piu cluster it will not show the terrain management the firmware is different from a base ipc1 and ipc2.
Yea we covered that several posts back but yea he would need to change that out.

Yea we covered that several posts back but yea he would need to change that out.
thanks for the thinking on this. Yes I have the upgraded cluster and tried that with the terrain management. I would have kept tinkering but the cluster complains about not finding the sync touchscreen so I pulled it back out and disconnected the terrain dial while I worked on the cluster issue.

I believe my dial is from an 11-15 since it has the silver trim on the console but the console came with PIU so I really don’t know what year it came from. I still wonder if the transmission or ecru need some additional programming to use that terrain module.

Maybe this might help in determining what is required or if it can be done at all.

Peter

For the record twisted wiring has zero to do with the sensor “checking itself” or any kind of test. Twisted pair wiring is strictly to keep noise out of the bus. Nothing else.

Back