Terrain Management Addition? Canbus connection needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Terrain Management Addition? Canbus connection needed

DHG2496

Reaction score
City, State
Fruitport, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
14 Explorer PIU 3.5EB
This has come up in a few threads about adding the terrain management. I’ve been digging through the wiring guide and parts guide and don’t see anything additional in terms of a module. From what I can tell the dial just needs power and the. Has two additional wires that need to access the Can bus module network. There are two wires white and white-blue stripe that come out of the console and would go into the retail harness from what I can tell.

anyoneknow where or how those wires would normally be terminated? I’m assuming there is a junction somewhere that has open pins to add this but I can’t find a diagram or details on where they go from the console. Hip wing to solve this puzzle once and for all so we can determine if this is possible or not

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"Hip wing".....:dunno:

So I went back and did some digging through the wiring diagrams.If I'm reading this correctly the Terrain Management dial's white and white-blue wires just need to be spliced into the other white and white-blue wires that make up the can bus network. From looking at this, I think there is a splice point in the left-hand side foot well. Here is what I found that leads me to believe this might be possible.

Terrain Management Connection to Canbus (Connection C3639 & C237 are the dial itself and the console harness connection)
screen-shot-2020-03-07-at-5.52.06-pm.png

Terrain Management wiring in Console, I can confirm that there are the white and white-blue wires coming out of the dial and out of the connection in the retail console. (C2452 is a splice point that the manual says is in the LH Footwell)
screen-shot-2020-03-07-at-5.54.04-pm.png

Can bus/ODB Joint Connector pinout, appears pins 2 and 8 are used for a few modules Cruise Control, Terrain Management and a couple others, hoping tracing back pins from the ODB2 port to the foot well will help me locate the proper splice point in the footwell.
screen-shot-2020-03-07-at-5.54.22-pm.png

I would be curious if the programming is in the pcm to use it.

I would be curious if the programming is in the pcm to use it.
Me too. I just wish we could get official confirmation on what is/isn’t possible. Such a shame cars aren’t all open source! I’d love to know before I go splicing into the rest of the canbus system.

Curious how this is coming along.

Curious how this is coming along.
I'm hoping to dig in this weekend or maybe this afternoon if I can break away form work stuff. Virus response at work has been a little disruptive to dig in too much this past week. Currently I have power to the dial as I was working on interior lighting and power ports in the console. it lights up now!!

I have to extend canbus next, which is is really the real test to see if it works. Stay tuned.

So a little update but no confirmation yet. I had ran wires over to the drivers foot well and before splicing everything in permanently, I attached a couple pins to the wires and plugged them straight into the ODB2 port since that is a really easy spot to test.

Upon starting the car, the lights on the terrain management dial turned off. So my hunch is that this would indicate that the car told the dial/module that it was disabled. Next step is to actually wire it in so I can get forscan plugged in and see if I can access the module or BCM to enable the module I have no idea what setting would do that, so any tips or thoughts would be appreciated. I also saw some people in the F150 forum talking about adding similar modules to their trucks but didn't find any promising threads or settings for those that I could test with. I'm still hopeful that it's just a setting to enable/disable.

So a little update but no confirmation yet. I had ran wires over to the drivers foot well and before splicing everything in permanently, I attached a couple pins to the wires and plugged them straight into the ODB2 port since that is a really easy spot to test.

Upon starting the car, the lights on the terrain management dial turned off. So my hunch is that this would indicate that the car told the dial/module that it was disabled. Next step is to actually wire it in so I can get forscan plugged in and see if I can access the module or BCM to enable the module I have no idea what setting would do that, so any tips or thoughts would be appreciated. I also saw some people in the F150 forum talking about adding similar modules to their trucks but didn't find any promising threads or settings for those that I could test with. I'm still hopeful that it's just a setting to enable/disable.

I can confirm what you are doing is correct. Once you turn it on in Forscan it will work. You will see in the Left screen on the gage cluster it will report what mode you are in. You will even notice a difference when you change it while driving.

@bill32399 do you know where in Forscan you do that or what values need to be changed to enable it. I'm pretty excited to hear I'm on the right path and this will work. I'll do a full write up once I've got it working.

Mine went into the shop for a couple days to have the front axel seals replaced while we are on state wide lock down, otherwise I'd run out and play around a little more. Good thing is, mechanics are "critical services" so I can get that done while we aren't supposed to be out driving around and I have no immediate need for the vehicle.

I did not use the "As built" option in Forscan to do it. If you choose the option underneath for the BCM that does NOT have "As Built" next to it, it gives you the options that they have preidentified and confirmed that you can change. This is where I went to do it. Mine has worked fine since being installed.

I did not use the "As built" option in Forscan to do it. If you choose the option underneath for the BCM that does NOT have "As Built" next to it, it gives you the options that they have preidentified and confirmed that you can change. This is where I went to do it. Mine has worked fine since being installed.
Awesome. I just wasn't sure if that was a BCM setting or some other module, and I also wasn't sure if it was one of the pre-defined toggles that we could turn on. I was going to poke around in Forscan when I got it back from the shop but appreciate you saving me the hassle and now I know straight where to go.

Where did you make your splice for the dial into the Canbus system? I think I'm just going to go right into the wires on the back side of the odb2 port since its easy to access.

Awesome. I just wasn't sure if that was a BCM setting or some other module, and I also wasn't sure if it was one of the pre-defined toggles that we could turn on. I was going to poke around in Forscan when I got it back from the shop but appreciate you saving me the hassle and now I know straight where to go.

Where did you make your splice for the dial into the Canbus system? I think I'm just going to go right into the wires on the back side of the odb2 port since its easy to access.

I pinned mine. Cut a couple of the connecters at the U pull it and got the pins out. Ran mine into the one behind the glove box.

I pinned mine. Cut a couple of the connecters at the U pull it and got the pins out. Ran mine into the one behind the glove box.
I have pins from a harness too, any chance you have a picture of where you plugged in behind the glovebox? I ended up going towards the drivers side only because I knew I could test quickly with the ODB2 port but just looking for the best long term destination now.

I have pins from a harness too, any chance you have a picture of where you plugged in behind the glovebox? I ended up going towards the drivers side only because I knew I could test quickly with the ODB2 port but just looking for the best long term destination now.

I don't have pic's. I hate pulling the glove box out to. I think we all know if the famous PIA white pins in there. There is another spot below the steering wheel to the right. It's taped up with both a HS and MS Can next to each other.

I don't have pic's. I hate pulling the glove box out to. I think we all know if the famous PIA white pins in there. There is another spot below the steering wheel to the right. It's taped up with both a HS and MS Can next to each other.
Is this the connector you connected to? I found this picture in another thread on the site. Seems easy enough to find if I can get the glove box out.
img_0145-jpg.173028

Is this the connector you connected to? I found this picture in another thread on the site. Seems easy enough to find if I can get the glove box out.
img_0145-jpg.173028

You could as it has the HS Canbus in it(I used this for the HUD). That is the plug for the Generic Function Module for the police stuff. The Wire diagrams show it officially connecting to the one just to the right of the steering column if you trying to keep it OEM.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I’m at a bit of a loss now and maybe I just need to go back and double check all the wiring And settings in Forscan, but I think I have everything wired up and turned on but not seeing any indication that it’s working. I’m also. It familiar with how it’s supposed to work, do you have to be in gear or driving or should it be functional in park?

I finally got into the final steps yesterday and went into forscan and checked the terrain mgmt settings for IPC And it is Enabled. I didnt see anything specific to the terrain management in BCM (maybe there is a setting I’m overlooking elsewhere) but the terrain dial is lighting up again now. Just no indicator of what mode it’s in on the dial and nothing appears on screen when I rotate the dial. So I’m missing something but I feel like I’m close. Can someone that has this working share the actual values that forscan shows for the terrain management dial enabled? I had a situation when doing the AWD gauge that flipping the setting in the simple interface didn’t appear to work but I went in and changed the value manually in the other mode and it worked. So ijust want to make sure it’s not something like that. Everything else appears to work through the simple interface. I also tried disabling saving the config, power off and then reconnect and re-enable and still. I change.

Back