Terrain Management Addition? Canbus connection needed | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Terrain Management Addition? Canbus connection needed

One other Forscan question that I don’t know if either woul effect this functioning. Does anyone know if Advance track needs to be enabled? I also noticed my Drive type was set to an odd value and not AWD as I would have expected.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you see the ATCM in you list of modules?

Any update? The two things I want to finish enabeling in mine is terrain management and shift up and down for center console. It's literally the only 2 things I have not gotten to work on mine

Any update? The two things I want to finish enabeling in mine is terrain management and shift up and down for center console. It's literally the only 2 things I have not gotten to work on mine
I went back are ran the canbus wires over to the Police GFM harness behind the glovebox. Dial is still lit up all blue, nothing is organge and it doesn't seem to have made a difference. I still don't see the module in Forscan and I've dibbled/re-enabled it in Forscan IPC settings.

Can't help with the shift up/down, haven't started on that yet. Relocation of my column shifter to the center (and hopefully shift up/down as part of that will be a summer project.

You made sure to twist the CANBUS wires right? I did upgrade my IPC also not sure if that made a difference for me or not. I know this may seem like a dumb question but it is AWD right? Not just FWD.

I went back are ran the canbus wires over to the Police GFM harness behind the glovebox. Dial is still lit up all blue, nothing is organge and it doesn't seem to have made a difference. I still don't see the module in Forscan and I've dibbled/re-enabled it in Forscan IPC settings.

Can't help with the shift up/down, haven't started on that yet. Relocation of my column shifter to the center (and hopefully shift up/down as part of that will be a summer project.

I was told in the past it wouldn't work in general ( terrain management) because it wasnt programmed in the pcm. But I was also told you could not add auto headlamps and rear HVAC in which I successfully did. I have had both a base 4wd and my inecteceptor. From my base I know when you turn the knob it sends signal to the ipc which then says which mode you are enabeling, take about 10 sec. Which I assume communicates to the pcm. If it was switching modes you would know snow mode you could. Punch the throttle to the floor and it'll slowly accelerate. Like you are pushing maybe 1/4 throttle max I havnt had forscan connected in quite some time is there an as built section for the pcm?

You made sure to twist the CANBUS wires right? I did upgrade my IPC also not sure if that made a difference for me or not. I know this may seem like a dumb question but it is AWD right? Not just FWD.
Yes mine is a AWD ecoboost. Interceptor. I hadn’t thought about twisting the wires and I’m wondering if the gauge of the wires would matter. Mine might be one size off. I’m just using a spool of wire I picked up at the parts store.

Yea you have to twist the any network wires and even some sensor wires. It has to do with the signal checking and correcting itself. May YouTube videos on this. The tighter the tightness of the twist also changes the frequency of it. The Wire diagrams will show a twist line around the wires that are twisted together.

Can you not solder them?

Peter

Can you not solder them?

Peter
I could but I don’t want to until I know it all works. I don’t know about this system But in computer network wiring the twist of the wire is very important and I have noticed these have a bit of a twist to them. I also don’t know if this system is worried about noise or resistance, both of which could have an impact if it cares about such things.

It is done for error checking/Noise. The same signal is sent through both wires and it compares them at the end. If they don't match than it knows there is an error. Ford recommends always soldering the CanBus wires. Also make sure you put the cap back on the plug where you ran the pins into. You will notice inside that is where it connects them all together. If you used the GFM plug than that wont be an issue.

It is done for error checking/Noise. The same signal is sent through both wires and it compares them at the end. If they don't match than it knows there is an error. Ford recommends always soldering the CanBus wires. Also make sure you put the cap back on the plug where you ran the pins into. You will notice inside that is where it connects them all together. Of you used the GFM plug than that wont be an issue.
Thanks that is really helpful to know. My soldering iron is at work, so not readily available. By knowing that it is this picky about the wires, twist and a solid connection might explain why I’m not having success. I’m now thinking I should de-din the wires from the harness and run 2 wires direct to the GFM plug to remove and additional interruptions in the signal. I was temporarily trying to get this to work with basic crimped connectors and attaching to pinned wires on each end. But I also have slightly larger gauge wire with no twist and possibly slightly different lengths (+/- 1in diff. ).

I might be getting close though. As I was redoing some of this yesterday, before you shared this info. I did something that triggered an advance track warning in IPC so I think it saw something different and maybe a bad connection to the module. I couldn’t reproduce it but it’s the first time I saw any signs this might be talking to the car. Keep in mind since stay at home orders have been in place it’s been sitting doing nothing so I don’t think it’s some other fault within the system.

If your battery gets too low it will trigger the advanced trac / abs light when initially started . It can also trigger the srs /airbag. Once you started it it probably went above that 11v trigger and obviously went away

One other question, for the power to the terrain dial, is that supposed to be on ignition/accessory power, always on, or illumination. I just want to confirm I have the proper power going to it.

I found some extra pinned wires from a spare harness and I think I'll be able to go straight between the Console Harness to the GFM plugs without any splices, crossing my fingers that they are long enough to reach 🤨

Yea if you hate working with small twisted wires than stay away from wiring a RFA module. There are quite a few running to that from all the sensors it uses for Intelligent Access.

One other question, for the power to the terrain dial, is that supposed to be on ignition/accessory power, always on, or illumination. I just want to confirm I have the proper power going to it.

I found some extra pinned wires from a spare harness and I think I'll be able to go straight between the Console Harness to the GFM plugs without any splices, crossing my fingers that they are long enough to reach 🤨

C3639 has only 4 wires. Your HS-Can, Ground and F35 wire from the SJB. It also knows when to light up based on the CanBus so no need to run an Illumination feed to it.

C3639 has only 4 wires. Your HS-Can, Ground and F35 wire from the SJB. It also knows when to light up based on the CanBus so no need to run an Illumination feed to it.
It looked like F35 is the power and can be tapped into the 14-way police power plug to provide start/run power. I just pulled up the wiring diagram and that was what it looks like, so I didn't see any dimer control. Thanks for all the help on this @bill32399

No problem, I have totally rewired a Police Utility with all the options of a Limited so there is not much I have not done in one of these.

Progress! Forscan now shows the module listed, running pinned wires from the Console Female connector to the CGM plug appears to be working. I don't see it listed as a module that you can program in Forscan but it does appear as a module now.

What a relief to see this finally!
atcm-forscan.png

I disabled, then re-enabled the Advance Trac and Terrain Management settings in Forscan but I don't see anything changing in the IPC or on the dial. @bill32399 did you have to do anything for the computer to relearn or recognize the module from here? Missing any steps? Do I need to drive it around or do anything else. So far I'm still just sitting in my drive tinkering expecting to see something turn orange on the dial or appear on the IPC telling me I'm in a new mode.

Also odd, in the reprogram process, my AWD gauge disappeared from IPC. It says it's enabled in Forscan, I also disabled and tried to re-enable it with no luck. Not a huge deal but I'm wondering if I need to look at the actual values vs. the gui interface in Forscan. Anyone have a reference to what the value for enable/disable Terrain Management is? I didn't see that listed in some of the reference guides I came across for the PIU Forscan guides.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Progress! Forscan now shows the module listed, running pinned wires from the Console Female connector to the CGM plug appears to be working. I don't see it listed as a module that you can program in Forscan but it does appear as a module now.

What a relief to see this finally!
atcm-forscan.png

I disabled, then re-enabled the Advance Trac and Terrain Management settings in Forscan but I don't see anything changing in the IPC or on the dial. @bill32399 did you have to do anything for the computer to relearn or recognize the module from here? Missing any steps? Do I need to drive it around or do anything else. So far I'm still just sitting in my drive tinkering expecting to see something turn orange on the dial or appear on the IPC telling me I'm in a new mode.

Also odd, in the reprogram process, my AWD gauge disappeared from IPC. It says it's enabled in Forscan, I also disabled and tried to re-enable it with no luck. Not a huge deal but I'm wondering if I need to look at the actual values vs. the gui interface in Forscan. Anyone have a reference to what the value for enable/disable Terrain Management is? I didn't see that listed in some of the reference guides I came across for the PIU Forscan guides.

Do you have the as built from a sport on hand? That's what I would reference if not shoot me a message I can pull them up

Back