Terrain Management / AdvanceTrac System Errors | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Terrain Management / AdvanceTrac System Errors

They premium esp will cover it. They replaced a module on mine when I had the issue several years ago. Not a problem since.

Great, maybe I should book it in before warranty runs out. They replaced the module just because of that terrain management fault? Would you know what module that was?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great, maybe I should book it in before warranty runs out. They replaced the module just because of that terrain management fault? Would you know what module that was?

Yes, the fault set specific codes and that told them the module was bad in my case. Same scenario, had the fault and the knob wouldn't do anything.

2015 Sport. less than 10,000 miles. Had similar issues today on 300 mile return from holiday trip. Power steering failed at 75 mph on highway, over 100 miles from home. Fun stuff. Of course you don't lose steering, but suddenly you have no power assist. Luckily I was on a straight stretch of road. If I had lost power steering while negotiating one of those narrow no-shoulder concrete barricade alley ways that are constantly being set up to divert traffic around road construction, I think there is a good chance I might have banged off one of the barriers, or worse. For anyone not accustomed to manual steering, I can imagine this would feel like the steering wheel actually locked. Could be very frightening and possibly catastrophic for some. Suspect the issue is a steering angle or wheel speed sensor programmed to fail out the power assist and advance trac system when a malfunction is detected. First Ford. Unfortunately also the first new car I've ever felt surprised me with a critical safety related malfunction.

Follow up if interested... happy to report Ford stood by its product. Dealer went straight to rack replacement. Several DTCs present were consistent with list of DTCs indicating rack replacement from the TSB/recall notices referred to in this thread. Seems (my conclusion) that the problem may have bled over to some early production 2015 model year units. Work done under warranty and completed in 2 days.

So I have this Terrain Management fault issue and I've read about half this thread but I'm not finding many folks posting solutions.

My issue first appeared last winter (2014/15).

So I took my vehicle back to the dealer ( third trip) and they found a TSB 12-08-09, which reprogrammed the ABS Module. I will re-post if the fault shows up again.

I took my 2011 Limited into the dealer this last June 2015, and of course they couldn't reproduce, but they found this same TSB and reprogrammed the ABS module.

But my issue has returned with the colder weather. In fact, I don't think I recall this issue coming up in warmer summer weather at all.

My extended warranty has expired but I'll take it back to the dealer to see if they will still cover it, since the issue was first reported during the warranty coverage period.

For this to make any sense you will probably need to read my
previous post.

It has been about 7k-8k miles since the ETB was replaced on my 2012 Explorer. I have not had one TMS fault condition since that time. I am not a mechanic so take it for what it's worth but I am confident that MY Ex TMS faults were related to the ETB. A gradual decline causing intermittent TMS faults and ultimately resulting in a more significant failure of the ETB.

Could other issues cause intermittent TMS fault lights? Sure, but as you know from reading my previous post, there is an extended warranty of this ETB which inexplicably excludes the same part installed in Explorers. IMO, if you still have the original it is likely to fail. If you are getting intermittent TMS fault lights and you are anywhere near 40k it is worth your while to have this checked out.

Thank you PEXOB2, your posts have been the most helpful!

So far I've compiled the following possible causes when you see the Terrain Management Fault, Service AdvanceTrac, and Collision Warning Unavailable messages, and you have two orange lights in the bottom right of the instrument cluster, and your TMS dial goes inoperative based on my browsing of this thread:
* ABS module needs reprogramming to current software versions
* Some kind of metal or brake dust in some kind of sensor
* Electronic Throttle Body (ETB) needs to be replaced

If the ETB is sticking and causing the intermittent issue, I wonder if I could make an attempt at cleaning it with throttle body cleaner and see if that clears the issue... I may attempt this next weekend when I change the squeaky accessory belt

Brought mine in this week, they updated ABS module software or something, hope that will work, the TMS fault was coming up pretty much every second day for the last couple weeks.

I got that advance track error a month ago that disappeared a day after and now my vehicle is at the dealer because of a "busted", not only leaking PTU so could be a warning that there is something wrong with that system.

Just got this error as well, so my car is only driving in front wheel drive. Turning the car off and restarting the engine doesn't seem to fix it.

Is this problem covered under the extended warranty?

I guess I have to take it to the dealer?

It could be a different or same problem but the PTU was covered under the extended warranty.
Definitely bring it to the dealer because once I had brought it to the dealer the error had gone off and there wasn't any logs of the error on the computer.

Hm, after driving around a bit, the 4wheel dive came back. Not sure if that's good or bad...good cuz it came back, but now I won't be able to show that it was a problem to the dealer. Hopefully it doesn't break again.

Does anyone else find it ridiculous how explorer owners have to keep hoping things don't break on this car? :(

.......Does anyone else find it ridiculous how explorer owners have to keep hoping things don't break on this car? :(
Honestly it was never on my mind when I had my 2011 Ltd. In the 3 years I had it Ford replaced a front right sensor and the battery. Can't wait to get another one.

Peter

It's been 3 weeks now since dealer updated ABS software, no fault yet, fingers crossed :)

I've noticed under firm braking that I can detect the ABS engage on the front left wheel at the very last minute before full stop. I think the wheel speed sensor might be acting up and causing the intermittent terrain management issues.

My to do list looks like this, as soon as it gets a little warmer:
- Clean throttle body real good
- Replace wheel speed sensor, probably both of them, since they are like $20 each or something

I've noticed under firm braking that I can detect the ABS engage on the front left wheel at the very last minute before full stop. I think the wheel speed sensor might be acting up and causing the intermittent terrain management issues.

My to do list looks like this, as soon as it gets a little warmer:
- Clean throttle body real good
- Replace wheel speed sensor, probably both of them, since they are like $20 each or something

Why do you clean throttle body? And how? Do you remove it completely from the vehicle?

Why do you clean throttle body? And how? Do you remove it completely from the vehicle?

The throttle body will accumulate some carbon deposits behind it, and it's theorized that this is causing the throttle body to stick occasionally and throw an advance trac fault. This may or may not be an issue for everyone, but one of the posters in this thread indicated that his troubleshooting pointed to a sticking or faulty throttle body.

It's right on top, so it should be easy to remove. Just remove it from the vehicle and spray it down real good with throttle body cleaner. In my past experiences, cleaning throttle bodies is easy, the pressure from the spray can is enough to remove the carbon deposits, although using a rag with the throttle body cleaner can help too. All your local auto parts stores will carry throttle body cleaner.

Fiance got stuck in the snow today in her 2014 Explorer. Live in a rural location with limited snow removal. Terrain management fault message comes up and can't select a setting to get 4 wheel drive to function properly to get up the hill. I have been up and down numerous times in my pickup but explorer has become a front wheel drive vehicle and need to know if there is anything that can be done to correct the problem. Engine on and off does not reset the system. Is there some way to manually change the setting?

We experienced the same symptoms today. Tms fault, terrain knob light off, wrench icon, deceleration to 20 mph, no throttle from gas peddle, when pressing gas peddle a multiple thud sound.

Dealership performed tsb (dated 2014) to reprogram the abs. They took it for a test drive and the truck stalled after repair. Never stalled before - just no throttle. Said new code revealed the throttle module also needs replaced. They will do that tomorrow.

They wanted to charge me $110 for the diagnostics, $55 to reprogram abs, and $450 for the throttle module (of which the part cost almost $300) - total $615! I pointed them to this thread and got them to bring the all in cost to $350! I have to say though that they have been a great dealership to us.

Will let you all know if these actions fix the problem. Interesting that it has been snowing here in Pittsburgh all day. Seems to be a common coincidence with other posters. We have a 2013 xlt explorer. No problems until today - otherwise it has been excellent.

I also found this article about the exact problem being described in this thread that was part of a settlement between Ford and the NTSB - just appears not to include the Explorer - I wonder why??? Not enough complaints?? Looks like the exact same problem to me. In that settlement, Ford agreed to extend the warranty to 10 years on the ETB and recalibrate the powertrain to help the vehicle keep moving if the ETB malfunctions. I intend to hit my dealership with this today - see if I can get them to do the right thing, even if Ford is not willing to cover Explorers too.

I saw someone recommended contacting the NTSB on this issue in the Explorer - and that seems like very good advice. This was a considerable safety issue for my wife when it happened on a very busy interstate while it was snowing!!!

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2014/ford-to-fix-cars-limp-home.shtml

I also found this article about the exact problem being described in this thread that was part of a settlement between Ford and the NTSB - just appears not to include the Explorer - I wonder why??? Not enough complaints?? Looks like the exact same problem to me. In that settlement, Ford agreed to extend the warranty to 10 years on the ETB and recalibrate the powertrain to help the vehicle keep moving if the ETB malfunctions. I intend to hit my dealership with this today - see if I can get them to do the right thing, even if Ford is not willing to cover Explorers too.

I saw someone recommended contacting the NTSB on this issue in the Explorer - and that seems like very good advice. This was a considerable safety issue for my wife when it happened on a very busy interstate while it was snowing!!!

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2014/ford-to-fix-cars-limp-home.shtml
I think you mean the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration). Many members have filed complaints with them especially on the power steering failure.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes - got NTSB stuck in my head. I meant NHTSA. If this same problem exists in Explorers, as it appears the electronic throttle body is causing the exact same problem ("limp home mode") and needs replaced, I wonder why the NHTSA investigation wasn't expanded to include the Explorer. Same problem - same safety concerns... surely people were and are complaining??? I know I will.

Back