Terrain Management / AdvanceTrac System Errors | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Terrain Management / AdvanceTrac System Errors

I have had the same problem happened twice with my 2012 Explorer.

I brought it to the dealer yesterday but the technician said he did NOT find anything wrong (even no Error Code stored). What he suggested is that just drive it right back to the dealership next time when the fault comes back.

So I am waiting for the fault coming back...
Welcome to the Forum bingo1962.:wavey: It's always nice to see new members.
I hope that your problem gets resolved.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had the same problem happened twice with my 2012 Explorer.

I brought it to the dealer yesterday but the technician said he did NOT find anything wrong (even no Error Code stored). What he suggested is that just drive it right back to the dealership next time when the fault comes back.

So I am waiting for the fault coming back...

That is exactly the same thing my dealer told me too. Couldn't find any codes, no problems. Come back when it's actually showing the system fault. :eek:

That is exactly the same thing my dealer told me too. Couldn't find any codes, no problems. Come back when it's actually showing the system fault. :eek:
I did ........ They still had no code even when lit

Hi. Not seeing any updates since 4/13/2012. I have a brand new 2013 Explorer XLT 4WD with 800 miles, and got the "Terrain System Management Fault" message and inoperative dial ONCE so far, upon starting up the vehicle (it was a cold start, if that matters). Turned vehicle off, and then back on, all was fine (no message, dial worked) and have not seen this behavior since.

Wondering if there is any new news on this? It looks like I am the first one reporting this with a 2013 model.

I've had my 2011 Explorer since July, had this message pop up I would say about 4 times in this whole time. Wishing I'd gone another way and not the Explorer :(

Hi. Not seeing any updates since 4/13/2012. I have a brand new 2013 Explorer XLT 4WD with 800 miles, and got the "Terrain System Management Fault" message and inoperative dial ONCE so far, upon starting up the vehicle (it was a cold start, if that matters). Turned vehicle off, and then back on, all was fine (no message, dial worked) and have not seen this behavior since.

Wondering if there is any new news on this? It looks like I am the first one reporting this with a 2013 model.
After all my issues with this, I have found one thing that has worked for me and since doing so, the fault light has not illuminated. This would be 6 months now. When I originally would start the truck, I would hold the key in the start position until it would run ..... As in older model vehicles. I would also turn the key to aux, hold it there a sec and then turn to start. I do neither anymore ..... I turn it to start and release the key as it turns over by itself. Since doing this and not holding it to start or delaying the key turn in aux, it hasn't thrown the fault. No one at Ford had an answer for me and I found this solution myself. :)

My 12Explorer Terrain Management System FAULT Fixed

Hi there,

Several months ago my 2012 Ford Explorer Terrain Management System FAULT was fixed by the dealer after they replaced the ABS Module.
So far so good.
Overall I love this Explorer...

Thanks.

Just got this error today while driving in the snow. Noticed the fault message and the wheel was not lit. Did a Vehicle health report and then restarted the vehicle. The know lit up and then 5 seconds later, went back out and the message popped up again.

I have a laundry list of things to be fixed again.. mostly all minor but warranty is up in 3,000 miles.

I've had my 2011 Explorer since July, had this message pop up I would say about 4 times in this whole time. Wishing I'd gone another way and not the Explorer :(

Just got this error today while driving in the snow. Noticed the fault message and the wheel was not lit. Did a Vehicle health report and then restarted the vehicle. The know lit up and then 5 seconds later, went back out and the message popped up again.

I have a laundry list of things to be fixed again.. mostly all minor but warranty is up in 3,000 miles.

Hey gang,

A good first step is to swing by your dealerships so they can inspect and document your concern. I'm always happy to step in and see how I can help as well; send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll get to work!

Hi there,

Several months ago my 2012 Ford Explorer Terrain Management System FAULT was fixed by the dealer after they replaced the ABS Module.
So far so good.

Thanks.

Thanks for sharing your experience, bingo1962! Hopefully this will help some folks out.

Have a great day!
Crystal

Hi there,

So far so good.

Thanks.

I just had my 2011 in and asked them to take a look at this problem along with a handfull of other minor things - and they wrote this on the service report:

CHECK TERRAIN MGMT SYSTEM, FAULTS WHEN STARTING INT
CAUSE:
W REPROGRAM ABS MODULE AS PER TSB

There is no detail as to which TBS they are talking about though...

-Zim

I just had my 2011 in and asked them to take a look at this problem along with a handfull of other minor things - and they wrote this on the service report:

CAUSE:

-Zim
I've tried explaining what other folks have come up with on the forum, but service dept hasn't a clue to any of the fixes to this issue. Veh was released back to me as per Ford with no resolution on their end to the problem ....... After a month of working on it. As I previously stated, turning the ignition to start, releasing the key and letting the truck start automatically seems to have alleviated the problem, but this was not a Ford fix ....... I came up with this solution myself. :mad:

CAUSE:

-Zim
Welcome to the Forum zim64half. :wavey:
Which model do you have? Your profile shows a 2001 Sport Trac.

Peter

I've tried explaining what other folks have come up with on the forum, but service dept hasn't a clue to any of the fixes to this issue. Veh was released back to me as per Ford with no resolution on their end to the problem ....... After a month of working on it. As I previously stated, turning the ignition to start, releasing the key and letting the truck start automatically seems to have alleviated the problem, but this was not a Ford fix ....... I came up with this solution myself. :mad:
I guess that solution won't work for someone with a Limited.

Peter

I guess that solution won't work for someone with a Limited.

Peter
It's worked for me many months now, but my main problem with dealing with Ford is that it seems they have no database of owners concerns and problems and even though much is posted here on this forum, I am always told that "Gee, your truck is the only one we have heard of exhibiting this problem" It doesn't give you a warm and fuzzy feeling hearing that and then being told "Ford says to release it back to you as they have no solution presently" ...... Even when the vehicle is brought in with the problem present. :splat:

Not sure that's Ford talking - sounds more like your dealer :)

Is there another you can go to ? I'd give it a try....

Not sure that's Ford talking - sounds more like your dealer :)

Is there another you can go to ? I'd give it a try....
Believe it or not, that was Ford, as the dealership was in contact with their hot-line and told me that a Ford rep had also been to their service department and said to release it after a month in the shop. The little trick I mentioned has kept the TMF light off and the knob lite, so I see no reason to pursue a matter that I've corrected ...... for now. :(

It's worked for me many months now, but my main problem with dealing with Ford is that it seems they have no database of owners concerns and problems and even though much is posted here on this forum, I am always told that "Gee, your truck is the only one we have heard of exhibiting this problem" It doesn't give you a warm and fuzzy feeling hearing that and then being told "Ford says to release it back to you as they have no solution presently" ...... Even when the vehicle is brought in with the problem present. :splat:
I'm glad that you found a solution. With the Limited there us no key and therefore no 'start' position. That is what I was referring to.
Have you passed along your technique to Ford? It might give them a hint as to where to look.

Peter

I'm glad that you found a solution. With the Limited there us no key and therefore no 'start' position. That is what I was referring to.
Have you passed along your technique to Ford? It might give them a hint as to where to look.

Peter
Yes Peter, I got what you said and did tell the service manager of my discovery, but again, no one seemed interested. Your right about one thing though ..... so far it has corrected my situation and I'm happy for that. I would get a knot in my stomach every time I would start the truck as it was like spinning a roulette wheel. Of interest is your comment though ........ Does the Terrain Management Fault appear with any of the Limited's?

Yes Peter, I got what you said and did tell the service manager of my discovery, but again, no one seemed interested. Your right about one thing though ..... so far it has corrected my situation and I'm happy for that. I would get a knot in my stomach every time I would start the truck as it was like spinning a roulette wheel. Of interest is your comment though ........ Does the Terrain Management Fault appear with any of the Limited's?
I just went back to the beginning of this thread which goes back to 2011 and it looks like there are also some Limiteds that are affected. Most seem to be able to clear the error by restarting the Ex.
I can see where is would become very frustrating if Ford is unable to find a solution for this problem.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum zim64half. :wavey:
Which model do you have? Your profile shows a 2001 Sport Trac.

Peter

Yep - I registered here long ago when I had my Sport Trac. I still miss it.

But I traded it in on a 2011 XLT. Loaded with everything but the sunroof.

Leather Heated Seats, NAV, Rear DVD Headrest systems, Sirius, etc...

I should update my profile!

Thanks!

-Zim

Back