Terrain Management / AdvanceTrac System Errors | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Terrain Management / AdvanceTrac System Errors

My 2013 Explorer has been sporadically showing this fault. I had it back to the dealer twice. My dealer was advised to replace the terrain system management switch. But that did not fix the problem. Am returning it to them tomorrow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2013 Explorer has been sporadically showing this fault. I had it back to the dealer twice. My dealer was advised to replace the terrain system management switch. But that did not fix the problem. Am returning it to them tomorrow.

Hi DannyKay,

Let me know how your visit to your dealership goes. If you need me to step in, send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Thanks,

Crystal

My dealer, Lynch Ford in Mt. Vernon, Iowa, is checking with the Ford Hotline for next steps and is getting back to me on Monday, 5/6/13 with a possible solution. They have not run across this difficulty before, and according to the Ford Hotline, they have not either. Lynch is quite responsive. I like my vehicle and hope it can be fixed soon. I will let you know how it goes by mid week. Thanks

I had this happen to me earlier in the week. It caused such a distraction that i nearly led to an accident as I backed out of my drive. Add this to the list of extremely frustrating and irritating problems I've had with my 2013 explorer in the short time I've owned it (just over 6 months). Apparently Ford's quality has taken a nose dive between 2008 and now because we have only had one problem with our 2008 escape hybrid in the 40,000+ miles we've put on it in 3+ years.

I really want to love my explorer, and i do love to drive it, but I'm seriously to the point that I'm going to have to consider kicking it to the curb and getting a vehicle I can actually depend on. Monthly trips to the dealership to fix problems SHOULDN'T be necessary.

I had this happen to me earlier in the week. It caused such a distraction that i nearly led to an accident as I backed out of my drive. Add this to the list of extremely frustrating and irritating problems I've had with my 2013 explorer in the short time I've owned it (just over 6 months). Apparently Ford's quality has taken a nose dive between 2008 and now because we have only had one problem with our 2008 escape hybrid in the 40,000+ miles we've put on it in 3+ years.

I really want to love my explorer, and i do love to drive it, but I'm seriously to the point that I'm going to have to consider kicking it to the curb and getting a vehicle I can actually depend on. Monthly trips to the dealership to fix problems SHOULDN'T be necessary.
I second that also! Latest is a distorted driver's door speaker ........ Things have gone from bad to worse. It's set to have the speaker replaced next week. We are going from more technical issues to the mundane ......... Have owned 12+ vehicles and this is the first with a bad speaker. This truck is the pits! :mad:

My dealer, Lynch Ford in Mt. Vernon, Iowa, is checking with the Ford Hotline for next steps and is getting back to me on Monday, 5/6/13 with a possible solution. They have not run across this difficulty before, and according to the Ford Hotline, they have not either. Lynch is quite responsive. I like my vehicle and hope it can be fixed soon. I will let you know how it goes by mid week. Thanks
This is the line they sell everyone. Mine was in the shop for a month and the hot line was involved with the problem. This totally stumped them and it was released back to me with the problem persisting ......... So Ford tells you that they haven't run across this before? ....... What a line of bull! :thumbdwn::mad::mad:

Mine had this issue back in December and they replaced a module and the switch. Problem resolved.

Hi everyone,

As a reminder, I'm here to help. :) If you're currently experiencing a concern with your vehicle, send me a PM with your information so I can explore some options. I'll need your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Thanks!

Crystal

My dealership continues to work on the problem. After replacing a couple of control modules and the switch, problem continues. Ford is sending in one of their top techs to see if there is something he can do. We shall see. All of us are getting a bit discouraged, but they are working through their process.

Been quite the journey, but Ford now notes there are several of the same issues popping up across the country and are going to dedicate some resources to resolving the problem. They believe it to be in the software (after replacing several modules and wiring harness). They are not sure exactly when the issue will be resolved...but hopefully in the next 8 weeks or so we will see progress. In the meantime, when the system "faults" on start up, I shut the engine down and restart, which has worked each time. Hope this all works...other that this issue, no problems and really like the vehicle!

Assuming that switch communicates on a data link, it sounds like an initialization problem when the vehicle starts up or the switch is temporarily shutting off during engine cranking when battery voltage level tends to drop significantly.

New info

I too have had this fault hundreds of times!!!

I was told by ford mechanic that it is a design fault.

The terrain management system is dependent on sensors in the wheels that tell the system which are sticking and slipping. When anything (rain,dust,mud,lint,snow,grass,etc...) gets into these sensors it causes the fault, rendering your 4WD a 2WD. Also causes several other things to not work including: adaptive cruise control, collision avoidance, hill decent, traction control, and a few more.

When the fault happens it beeps at you several times and continues to do this even after you acknowledge the faults, really annoying!!!

Sometimes the fault goes away by turning off and on, but if you have mud or something more permanent in the sensor it will no go away until you take to a hoist and lift up vehicle so that you can pressure wash the back of the tires which is the only way to get at these sensors. To do this ford charges me $120! Each time, I can't afford this twice a week so now just put up with fault msgs

I am glad that others are seeing this issue, ford tells me that I am the only one, an that it is because I live in the country with gravel roads! WTF I bought this vehicle so my wife would have a 4WD BECAUSE we live in the country.

Ford has made a 4WD that does not work in snow, mud, or any other substance where you need 4WD

I was told by head mechanic for ford that this is a design flaw. Ford will not fix as it is not happening to enough people.

I too have had this fault hundreds of times!!!

I was told by ford mechanic that it is a design fault.

The terrain management system is dependent on sensors in the wheels that tell the system which are sticking and slipping. When anything (rain,dust,mud,lint,snow,grass,etc...) gets into these sensors it causes the fault, rendering your 4WD a 2WD. Also causes several other things to not work including: adaptive cruise control, collision avoidance, hill decent, traction control, and a few more.

When the fault happens it beeps at you several times and continues to do this even after you acknowledge the faults, really annoying!!!

Sometimes the fault goes away by turning off and on, but if you have mud or something more permanent in the sensor it will no go away until you take to a hoist and lift up vehicle so that you can pressure wash the back of the tires which is the only way to get at these sensors. To do this ford charges me $120! Each time, I can't afford this twice a week so now just put up with fault msgs

I am glad that others are seeing this issue, ford tells me that I am the only one, an that it is because I live in the country with gravel roads! WTF I bought this vehicle so my wife would have a 4WD BECAUSE we live in the country.

Ford has made a 4WD that does not work in snow, mud, or any other substance where you need 4WD

I was told by head mechanic for ford that this is a design flaw. Ford will not fix as it is not happening to enough people.
I would have thought that if it is truly a design flaw, that many more people would be having this issue. You can't be the only one driving dirt/gravel country roads. So far, I haven't had any issues with my AWD but then I don't drive on gravel roads that much. Snow and water, yes, but no mud.
Good luck.

Peter

I too have had this fault hundreds of times...

Hi Campbeba,

I want to look into this and check out some options to help. Shoot me a private message (PM) with your information and I'll do some investigating. Please include your VIN, dealership, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Thanks!

Crystal

I had this message pop up today on my way into work. Since I work at a ford dealer I just pulled it intro the shop and left it running for a tech to look at it. He told me that there is a TSB for the anti lock brakes that will fix this issue. I guess we will see it it is fixed or not when I get it back.

I would have thought that if it is truly a design flaw, that many more people would be having this issue. You can't be the only one driving dirt/gravel country roads. So far, I haven't had any issues with my AWD but then I don't drive on gravel roads that much. Snow and water, yes, but no mud.
Good luck.

Peter
I DO NOT drive in those conditions and it pops up! Ford tells EVERYONE that they are the first to experience this problem and they have not heard of the issue before. I guarantee someone reading these posts and experiencing this same condition will be told the same thing as we have been. "Gee, your the first to bring it to our attention". What a crock !!! :mad:

2013 Explorer Terrain Management System Fault

Assuming that switch communicates on a data link, it sounds like an initialization problem when the vehicle starts up or the switch is temporarily shutting off during engine cranking when battery voltage level tends to drop significantly.

Following your advice, kind of, for the past week and now for about 50 to 60 consecutive starts, I have turned the ignition switch to the on position, waited for a couple of seconds, and the Terrain Management System boots up correctly. Then I start the vehicle and it continues to operate correctly. I have passed this on to my dealer's service manager who said he has shared it with the engineer in charge of looking for solutions. Ought not to have to do this, but perhaps the soft ware change, when it is made, can change the order of "booting up". Your observation and suggestion appears to be a good one!

Following your advice, kind of, for the past week and now for about 50 to 60 consecutive starts, I have turned the ignition switch to the on position, waited for a couple of seconds, and the Terrain Management System boots up correctly. Then I start the vehicle and it continues to operate correctly. I have passed this on to my dealer's service manager who said he has shared it with the engineer in charge of looking for solutions. Ought not to have to do this, but perhaps the soft ware change, when it is made, can change the order of "booting up". Your observation and suggestion appears to be a good one!

Awesome! I'm glad it seems to have helped you. Feel free to give me your dealer's address and an address for Ford so I know where to send an invoice for my consulting time and expertise. :)

I had this problem on my 2011 EX Ltd. It lasted for about a week and then simply went away. Haven't had it since.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Went outside to go to work this morning, started up and had the advancetrac error. Terrain management error. Put it in reverse to try to back up (I park on a hill) and it gives power steering assist error. Pulled it back into the driveway, cycled key a few times and still errors.

Gonna try to get it to a dealership later today when they open and try to get it fixed.

Back