Terrain management fault (TMF) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Terrain management fault (TMF)

Mark Ahlert

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer
Terrain management fault (TMF) – Solution that worked for me...

2013 Ford Explorer terrain management fault.

I figured out a solution to this problem that seems to have worked.

For background I drive with a very light foot on the gas pedal. I was allowing the engine idle to just carry me in stop-and-go traffic on the interstate in summer heat. A tractor-trailer cut in front of me and I had to slam on the brakes and I received the TMF popup warning. I came to a complete stop, but my vehicle just would not go no matter how much gas I applied. I stopped the engine and restarted it and it was okay.

I went another year without having that problem until last week, again in summertime traffic, my Explorer gave me the terrain management fault again when I took my foot off the brake pedal at the signal light change. Again I had to stop the vehicle place it in park and restart it. But this time I received three or four train fault management errors before I could make it the half-mile back to my house. I guessed that it was low idle speed causing the problem.

I disconnected the battery, waited a short time and reconnect the battery, went through the idle relearn process described in the owner's manual. Unfortunately this did not reset the idle and I again got the train fault management every time I took my foot off the brake and tried to ease on the gas.

I again disconnected the battery, but this time I grounded the positive terminal to the negative terminal to discharge any capacitors, and waited 5 to 10 minutes (see YouTube video below). I drove with a heavy foot in the 15 minute idle relearn process. Since then I have driven for a week and not encountered the terrain management fault error.

I got the idea by watching this guy’s (FordTechMakuloco) video.

I later found this:

Terrain Management Pop-Up Warning - 2011-2014 Ford Explorer

Instead of forcing you to go to the iffen Ford dealer and paying them a wad of cash, they should just describe this solution.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update: Above solution was all wishful thinking. Terrain Management Fault has returned twice. It is serious error that Ford needs to fix.

Well according to the TSB they have the fix for it. Go to the dealer and have them perform the TSB.

Jason, I took mine Explorer in on Sept 10, 2018, so either they did not consult TSB or ...
I finally got it back and fixed today. ( At least I hope it is fixed this time.!!!)

Terrain management fault (TMF)
Apparently it does not give a computer error code. Eventually, (after paying for a lot of stuff I did not need) Ford dealer found the problem. Hats off there, but Ford needs to document this problem for their computer database.

Problem: Throttle Body stuck wide open.

Vehicle will not go, (it can happen at anytime low speed of at 65 mph), but most often when you let up on the gas pedal.

It is very dangerous situation. You absolutely have to get it fixed!!
open

open

Terrain management fault (TMF) – Solution that worked for me...

2013 Ford Explorer terrain management fault.

I figured out a solution to this problem that seems to have worked.

For background I drive with a very light foot on the gas pedal. I was allowing the engine idle to just carry me in stop-and-go traffic on the interstate in summer heat. A tractor-trailer cut in front of me and I had to slam on the brakes and I received the TMF popup warning. I came to a complete stop, but my vehicle just would not go no matter how much gas I applied. I stopped the engine and restarted it and it was okay.

I went another year without having that problem until last week, again in summertime traffic, my Explorer gave me the terrain management fault again when I took my foot off the brake pedal at the signal light change. Again I had to stop the vehicle place it in park and restart it. But this time I received three or four train fault management errors before I could make it the half-mile back to my house. I guessed that it was low idle speed causing the problem.

I disconnected the battery, waited a short time and reconnect the battery, went through the idle relearn process described in the owner's manual. Unfortunately this did not reset the idle and I again got the train fault management every time I took my foot off the brake and tried to ease on the gas.

I again disconnected the battery, but this time I grounded the positive terminal to the negative terminal to discharge any capacitors, and waited 5 to 10 minutes (see YouTube video below). I drove with a heavy foot in the 15 minute idle relearn process. Since then I have driven for a week and not encountered the terrain management fault error.

I got the idea by watching this guy’s (FordTechMakuloco) video.

I later found this:

Terrain Management Pop-Up Warning - 2011-2014 Ford Explorer

Instead of forcing you to go to the iffen Ford dealer and paying them a wad of cash, they should just describe this solution.

1630864511541.png

Finally got to see a code. Throttle body control. We replaced it yesterday. It's a very dangerous situation. It happened 10 times in a month. We'll drive it a while and report back.

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Although there is a TSB on this, it doesn't appear to be a widespread issue with members here. Only 2 reports of it. Please do report back.
The 2016 model did have issues with the throttle body but I don't know if it was the same problem.

Peter

View attachment 342213
Finally got to see a code. Throttle body control. We replaced it yesterday. It's a very dangerous situation. It happened 10 times in a month. We'll drive it a while and report back.
I had a 2012 Explorer that did this. I would be driving and it would just stop and die. Brought it in to Ford dealer 2 times and they couldn’t diagnose it. Said to have it towed in next time so they could read the computer. Did that twice with no solution. So, finally i left it with them for a week and they finally figured out that it was the throttle body. Got it replaced and it didn’t happen again. That was in 2016. They really only have two reported events of this happening? Mine and one other?? Weird! I was so scared to drive before they figured it out.

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Although there is a TSB on this, it doesn't appear to be a widespread issue with members here. Only 2 reports of it. Please do report back.
The 2016 model did have issues with the throttle body but I don't know if it was the same problem.

Peter
Ford, after several appointments at their dealership service center, finally diagnosed my issue as the throttle body back in 2016. My Explorer kept dying as i was driving. So scary!

I had a 2012 Explorer that did this. I would be driving and it would just stop and die. Brought it in to Ford dealer 2 times and they couldn’t diagnose it. Said to have it towed in next time so they could read the computer. Did that twice with no solution. So, finally i left it with them for a week and they finally figured out that it was the throttle body. Got it replaced and it didn’t happen again. That was in 2016. They really only have two reported events of this happening? Mine and one other?? Weird! I was so scared to drive before they figured it out.
Oh, and i was also getting the Terrain Management Fault alert, and my vehicle made a noise that sounded like it was in the wrong gear and needed to shift.

Oh, and i was also getting the Terrain Management Fault alert, and my vehicle made a noise that sounded like it was in the wrong gear and needed to shift.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Was the TMF related to the throttle body control issue? If not, was it resolved?

Peter

Back