Terrain Management System Error | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

runfasterdaddy

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
Need some help. First a little context. 5 days ago I hit a deer (<10mph and deer hopped away after), but with only superficial cosmetic damage (cracked plastic license plate holder and plastic grill work). I had to point out to my wife where the damage was, that's how insignificant it was.

Yesterday though, the check engine light came on. SUV is driving normally as best I can tell. This morning I got up to get the code scanned and I had three more lights on. The terrain management system selector switch no longer works, BOTH the STABILITY CONTROL LIGHT and the STABILITY CONTROL OFF LIGHT are on, and the computer says DOWNHILL ASSIST IS NOT FUNCTIONAL.

It is currently 4°F outside too. On the drive home from scanning I did a hard brake on a snowy patch of road and the ABS brakes appear to be functioning properly.

Anyway, I scanned the code on three different scanners and the only code each gave me was:

P0073 Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Circuit High Input

Now, I know where the Ambient Air Temp Sensor is located (behind grill, in front of radiator). I can see how the impact with the deer may have damaged the sensor, loosened a connection, or shorted a wire. BUT, I cannot figure how the terrain management system issue is related. Seems too coincidental that the TMS light came on less than 12 hours after the check engine light tripped. Any thoughts?

Welcome to the Forum:wave:
There are threads on TMS faults but since yours seems to be a little unique I'll leave it on it's own.

Peter

Most likely coincidental failures, but you'd be surprised how much that temperature sensor drives (including internal HVAC strategy), and in general, how one seemingly disparate system can influence another.

A good example is BLIS... believe it or not, the strategy changes based on if the wipers are turned on, which is the car's queue to change how BLIS operates based on the inferred adverse ambient conditions.

...........A good example is BLIS... believe it or not, the strategy changes based on if the wipers are turned on, which is the car's queue to change how BLIS operates based on the inferred adverse ambient conditions.
Did not know that. Thanks and Happy New Year!

Peter

Back