• Register Today It's free!

TERRIBLEII' s 89 (project bII89)

terribleII89

Reaction score
City, State
prince george, virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
89 broncoII xlt
ok well if yal are famillar to broncoII.org yal may have seen me and know me i am a regular there but now its time for me to branch out a little more so let me begain my build thread( ill try to summerize it to get ya cought up :thumbsup: )

when i first bought her
ditched.jpg

ditched2.jpg

soon after i mounted lights on the bumper an went wheelin and got stuck and not thinkin we hooked to that bracket that gose from the corner of the bumper to the mount and that didnt end well :crazy::rant:

stuckII.jpg

stuckandbent.jpg

well one guy out there(the guy that actully plulled me out) had a bumper on an ol ranger frame he wanted to give away but it needed to be re welded and some way to hide the frame(he had a piece of plastic zip tied :rolleyes:)

bajabumper.jpg
so i welded a peice of diamond plate on and added some used 31x11.50x15 m/t claws

wheelin with 31s was fun but i was ready to get serious (and plus it was rubbin) so first off i added 2" homemade shackels on the rear
6.jpg

and those kept me from rubbin in the rear but i ended up buyin a 4" rough country lift

10.jpg

9.jpg

4-1.jpg

7-1.jpg

now i needed bigger tires :D
8.jpg

next to my buddys stocker:p:
6-1.jpg

and yes i had to buy extended brake lines so i got skyjacker steel braided lines (no pics )

well shortly after that me and a friend wanted to teat our fab skills so we made a roof rack and i added 4 hella off road lights

myrack.jpg

and now a test !! went wheelin and got in to one of those "if you do it ill do it " deals i tried to go through a pond . i was goin good till 3/4 i remember i for got to lock the hubs :rant: and well i got stuck

pond.jpg

the end result was a wet smelly flor for like a week

wetfeet.jpg

welp few weeks later i got a hold of some black paint and desided that the gray had to go and i wanted a solid color

kingofthehill.jpg
yes i painted the wheels too
koth2.jpg

now with the bigger tires and weak springs ,the rear need some help bein stable so i made some traction bars from tractor attachment arms to fix my axle wrap

SANY0578.jpg

SANY0579.jpg

now all that good time to go wheeln sorry no pics again , but after a hard night thrashin it , i come home to find out i put a hole in my rear diff cover (not sure how but i did)

Picture069.jpg
that when i relized it was made of composite not steel but i got a steel one out of the jy added oil and from there i went good to go!! :thumbsup:

wel igot bored one day and drew my truck and let my girl color it(we was bored as hell)

Picture032.jpg

well a couple moths pass and i decided that it was time to do an sas but i went with a d30 from a jeep cherokee and a rear d35 from the same truck to match the gears
Picture073.jpg

Picture075.jpg

Picture091.jpg

Picture093.jpg

from the help of tha local agri-supply i welded on some bracket made to hang leaf springs on a trailer an some ag arms for a tractor we made our own long arms
lower control arm:
Picture099.jpg

we had to mod the axle for the upper control arms:
Picture101.jpg

Picture102.jpg

well since i had to flip the springs i had to mod the spring bucket(this was just temperary it alot better now)
Picture097.jpg

all together and finshed!! (for now)
Picture126.jpg

Picture130.jpg

well itested it and it flexed good but the sway bar was limiting the flex so went to home depotpicked up a few thing and made a disconect

SANY0232.jpg

works pretty good a think!!(so far)

l_0f2d7279b37549c6a2154080b7f39e45.jpg

l_de21e225039b4965b8afdd6537edcd9d.jpg

th_SANY0259.jpg

th_SANY0301.jpg

me and an old wheelin buddy (he sold the jeep and things happened so we dont talk any more long story but its a cool pic)
chadandjason.jpg

well when i did the d35 rear i never put my traction bars back on and resulted in my rear leafs gettin twisted and givin the terribleII a bad lean
Picture005-1.jpg

Picture007-1.jpg

Picture010-1.jpg

ok well currently the engine is on its last leg and the 2nd clutch is shot so im swappin ot for a 289c.i. from a 69 mustang
Picture.jpg

it aint pretty but its a work in progress!
so far all iv done was tore it down
Picture022-1.jpg

and there ya go an hour and a half later your up to speed but ill keep yal up to date with everything that goes on!!:cool::chug::biggthump

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well Mr DIYselfer, that's one Home Grown BII for sure. :thumbsup:

told ya i try to do things myself ima poor boy so it cheaper to make it then it is to buy it :D beside ya have more pride when ya build it ;)

update:
old engine is out and gettin parted for what i need and wanna keep and bein placed on my temporary 2.9 all i have to buy is a clutch and a few gaskets but its a slow process cuz of time and money

How about a pic of the coil spring bucket as it sits now?

Good build but the rear will not hold up to the V8 and why not save some weight and run a C4?

Other than that keep up the good work!

Good build but the rear will not hold up to the V8 and why not save some weight and run a C4?

Other than that keep up the good work!

i want a c6 so i can run a np205 and ill be swapin the axle too to and 8.8 all this has been considerd:thumbsup:

not to much done to it lately i lost my jobs so low on funds but i should be gettin me som exploder leaf springs and my 8.8 within the next week or so. i reckon since i have free time ill go ahead and swap that in so that part will be done and then ill just have to focus on an engine as soon as i start makin some money again lol

just as an update nothin has been done yet still waitin to get money together but im chashin in a 401k to pay up on some bills and what is left i will atleast try to get my engine in and some rear leaf springs on and make it leagal just in case it become my dd again a buddy of mine is donatin some 35s to my cause so ill try to post more as it goes

another update: in about i will start to work on the BII to get it ready to be a dd/trail rig again so ill keep yal posted on the status :thumbsup:

I too would like to see the coil buckets, and I'd like to see how you rigged the trackbar if you don't mind.

i dont have any good close ups of it right now but i used the stock bucket i just cut the ears off and welded a piece pipe in there to hold the spring inadn as a slider to allow the spring to drop down and not come out when i articulate such as a stock xj set up (thats what i basicly mocked )and as far as the track bar i just stuck it up to the frame to where i was srtrait and weleded it up and braced it where it was needed ill try to get some pics of it if i think of it :thumbsup:

You used the stock XJ trackbar bracket? Interesting.

yes i used the stock jeep track bar but i dont care for it once i get the money it will be switched from that to the eyelet type rather then the balll joint type

yes i have new spring packs i just hev to get wm on which they will be on withen the week i got some explorer sripngs to go on her :D

and the ag arms work and ride pretty good on my four link in the front and flesxes well to but if i keep this setup ill try to get the y shaped control arms from rustys . if you was talkin about the tration bars for the rear they work great as well but i havent had them on since a swaped me rear axle it does make it ride a bit stiffer but i never seen where it limits the flex of the rear but i added those cuz i was having issues with axle wrap.

ok now to update ya guys on the truck we have the "newer" engine in and running but now i have to finish things up to get it back on the road to drive it again but it shouldnt take too long im expecting maybe another week and it will be ready to drive :cool:

update: ive been workin on the leaf spring on the drivers side the first bolt (the one closest to the front) was a pita to get out but we got it and now i have one exploder spring in not to the pass side tomorrow

Cut a wrench in half to grab that front bolt inside the hanger, 3/4" I believe

leaf spring bolts are always a *****!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the nut wont the hard part it was actually gettin the bold out was the *****

Back