TERRIBLEII' s 89 (project bII89) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TERRIBLEII' s 89 (project bII89)

torch the bushing only gets us so far LOL

those metal sleeves become one with the bolt... I pretty much plan on cutting the bolt in two spots from the get go if the bolts are factory.... leaf spring bolts SUCK glad you got it out! I fought a 97 Explorer for 4 days

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I love the 3 link idea, i have a d30 fully rebuilt in my garage waiting to go in the bII, i was kickin around how I wanted to link it in the front, youve given me some killer ideas.

Yeah those leafs are completely shot, and your right those bolts can be a biznitch, good luck and great build man:thumbsup::chug:

torch the bushing only gets us so far LOL

those metal sleeves become one with the bolt... I pretty much plan on cutting the bolt in two spots from the get go if the bolts are factory.... leaf spring bolts SUCK glad you got it out! I fought a 97 Explorer for 4 days

yeah well i still have one more to do :rolleyes:

I love the 3 link idea, i have a d30 fully rebuilt in my garage waiting to go in the bII, i was kickin around how I wanted to link it in the front, youve given me some killer ideas.

Yeah those leafs are completely shot, and your right those bolts can be a biznitch, good luck and great build man:thumbsup::chug:

yeah thanks the front 4 link wasnt tooo bad just go to a agri or tractor supply get you some ag arms and i used trailer leafspring hangers for the mounts on the frame we also did the exact set up on a buddies 91 explorer but of course mine is always the ginnie pig but its cool cuz i get the good chit first lol:p:

well i finished the leaf spring sawp saturday (weather delyed alot of work) now to do some exhust work and a few more odds and ends hope to be done soon:D

well the exhust is finshed just a few more things to do its gettin closer but i can at least drive (which i have been but shhhh! i only drove it mile to see how it does) but im havin an issue with the way it runs and i think its vaccum related but ill figure it out i reckon i just need to get a buddy b2 out her to see how his is and use it as a reference unless some has a digram i could use that would be alot quicker.

out of topic: a friend told me to google image long arm bronco II and i did and sure enough my trusk is on google images and i thought that was awesome!!

im not gettin any power to the coil i had great spark a few weeks ago when we had our first big snow and after that nothin no spark from the coil! iv had the coil and the icm (ignition control modual )checked and both came back fine and only thing i can think of is my wiring . yal have any other ideas?

you are still runnin the v6 right? ive never run into that prob with my rig, i did replace the control module on mine bk that apparentley is a prob on bII's. to bad your now around here, i have a gang of good parts layin around to try out. just occured to me how useless this response is, good luck man:D

yes for now its a 2.9 its not the one that came in the truck nor is it new but one with less miles we tried the icm and i even had it tested at autozone and its good same as the coil only thing i can think is it has to be in the wiring some where my buddy says he is just gonna rewire the whole thing for me at least wires the that go to the icm and distributor so idk i reckon we will try that i am just completely out of ideas!! and if it helps i was running really rich before when it was running and we could not get the timing right on it ( we are gonna replace the timing chain because that was bad and it was causing the timing to jump around) but that shouldnt be why i have no spark and all my fuses are good i just do not know!! :(

Pull the plastic covers off the steering wheel. You will find a large plastic wiring harness connection near the ignition key. Make sure it has not slipped apart. I had to zip tie mine together to make sure it would not slip apart anymore. Mine would slip apart while driving down the road after hitting bump. And then the engine would cut off. What a pain to figure out what was the problem.
This has happened to many other B2s also.

Pull the plastic covers off the steering wheel. You will find a large plastic wiring harness connection near the ignition key. Make sure it has not slipped apart. I had to zip tie mine together to make sure it would not slip apart anymore. Mine would slip apart while driving down the road after hitting bump. And then the engine would cut off. What a pain to figure out what was the problem.
This has happened to many other B2s also.

this would kill the spark? cuz it turns over fine

no I dont think that would kill spark LOL

when you set your base timing you are pulling the timing pill first correct?

I suspect your TFI module, or coil, or the wiring to one of those two...

no I dont think that would kill spark LOL

when you set your base timing you are pulling the timing pill first correct?

I suspect your TFI module, or coil, or the wiring to one of those two...

what pill ya talkin about? where is this at?

how do i check the tfi module? the coil has been checked and came back good. we are thinkin its my wiring

Do a search for the TFI module

by far the most common reason for no spark condition on the 2.9L EFI

TFI module is the ignition module, it is located n the back of the distributor using the dist as a heat sink LOL
They are problematic enough to make 2.9L owners carry a spare TFI module and the thumb wrench required to change it in the glovebox....

Also check the ECM fuse, make sure your computer is powering up, the fuel pumps are priming and sensors/injectors are getting power

It could be a simple ground issue

When the trucks get this old, the wiring also becomes suspect
BUT

if you have no spark at all 6 cyl the first suspect on the 2.9L is the TFI module

Timing:
on your EFI engine the computer controls timing, this means it advanced/retards the timing as it see's fit. This means if you try to set the timing without removing the computers control over it, the computer will simply compensate for any turning of the distributor you do. So Ford has provided you with a simple wiring jumper that you can remove to take the computers control of the timing away. It is called the Timing PIL.
To set base timing on the 2.9L you warm the engine up to a steady idle, then pull the timing PIL, hook up timing light to cyl #1, then rotate the distributor to get your base timing set.. re- install the pill and all is golden
I believe I had my 2.9L at 18 degrees BTDC, because here in CO (high elev) I could get away with it...14-16 should be good for performance minded sea level folks

Do a search for the TFI module

by far the most common reason for no spark condition on the 2.9L EFI

TFI module is the ignition module, it is located n the back of the distributor using the dist as a heat sink LOL
They are problematic enough to make 2.9L owners carry a spare TFI module and the thumb wrench required to change it in the glovebox....

Also check the ECM fuse, make sure your computer is powering up, the fuel pumps are priming and sensors/injectors are getting power

It could be a simple ground issue

When the trucks get this old, the wiring also becomes suspect
BUT

if you have no spark at all 6 cyl the first suspect on the 2.9L is the TFI module

Timing:
on your EFI engine the computer controls timing, this means it advanced/retards the timing as it see's fit. This means if you try to set the timing without removing the computers control over it, the computer will simply compensate for any turning of the distributor you do. So Ford has provided you with a simple wiring jumper that you can remove to take the computers control of the timing away. It is called the Timing PIL.
To set base timing on the 2.9L you warm the engine up to a steady idle, then pull the timing PIL, hook up timing light to cyl #1, then rotate the distributor to get your base timing set.. re- install the pill and all is golden
I believe I had my 2.9L at 18 degrees BTDC, because here in CO (high elev) I could get away with it...14-16 should be good for performance minded sea level folks
oh ok yeahthis we did ya just worded to where i didnt understand lol the tfi iv been callin the icm i have many spares and they have been tested and came out good and we timied it with the "spout" (pill) out

so did you ever get those wires checked up on? that old cracked up wiring will cause havoc sometimes, i will tell you that my brother had a msd coil on his 92 f150, he dropped the damn thing on a concrete floor and didn't tell any of us, pretty soon he was having trouble with it dying on him all the time, codes said the computer was shot bk it couldn't tell us what was wrong. spent like 2 weeks carting the kid around everywhere, so one day we are standin around the damn thing confused as hell and he says i wonder if that coil went bad when I dropped it? not saying your as dumb as my brother cause you aint, but sometimes parts will work but just good enough to confuse the hell out of you, and autozone has them for 21.99, those ecm's will cause you mayhem as well though, check your dist and all the wiring, i guess my response doesn't really say anythng Rookieshooter and 410fortune threw in but good luck w it.

so did you ever get those wires checked up on? that old cracked up wiring will cause havoc sometimes, i will tell you that my brother had a msd coil on his 92 f150, he dropped the damn thing on a concrete floor and didn't tell any of us, pretty soon he was having trouble with it dying on him all the time, codes said the computer was shot bk it couldn't tell us what was wrong. spent like 2 weeks carting the kid around everywhere, so one day we are standin around the damn thing confused as hell and he says i wonder if that coil went bad when I dropped it? not saying your as dumb as my brother cause you aint, but sometimes parts will work but just good enough to confuse the hell out of you, and autozone has them for 21.99, those ecm's will cause you mayhem as well though, check your dist and all the wiring, i guess my response doesn't really say anythng Rookieshooter and 410fortune threw in but good luck w it.

well the dist. was never dropped lol and every thing checked out good when it was tested at auto zone im thinkin of findin another ecu an wring harness and just replace it all.

Did you ever check the harness I mentioned on the steering column? I know mine would just cut off and would not start at all untill I wiggled the harness.
Sometime driving down a bumpy road the engine would just cut off.
After zip tying it together, I never had a problelm.

not yet cuz im temporaly usin my starter in my friends explorer :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well that explorer that my starter is in is my explorer now he needed money i needed a dd so well here is my new dd

91 ford explorer
4.0l engine(stock)
m5od 5 speed trans (we swaped in after goin through 2 a4ld auto trans)
5.5 sus lift with 4" skyjacker easy ride tj coils and 2.5 spacers in the front , rear is lifted by a soa (sprinover axle) and 3" shackels
sas done with a low pinion d30 from a tj
and its sittin on mix match 35x12.50
not many other mods but more to come

1266871716.jpg

1266871458.jpg

and for the broncoII im starting to think about some thing so yal let me know what yal think of my idea!

ok so since i cant get the stock 2.9 running for some electrical issues , and ive gotta 289 block but that will cost too much money to build (ive already looked into it it will cos about 3 grand) . im thinking of sellin the 289 block and buying a complete 5.0 drivetrain from a jy or somewhwere . the engine trans and t-case . i think that would be my best option it would be the cheapest route i belive.

Back