test connector timing near radiator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

test connector timing near radiator

smegun

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer xlt
since there are two distributes.. the crank sensor and cam senor how do I test my advance and determine if I have a proper window seems like I got a little popn after it gets warmed up and there is not freeway power yet or expected acceleration ...im working on fuel pressure also but that back probe of cam sensor has me worried as to be in time with the ol cranker sensor ...there is a test connector up front ive heard as vestigial like appendectomy but I have an old timing light can I successfully look at the timing marks from the front of the truck any diagrams or answers would be cool yes specs special :)

connector in the front by radiator on the 94

from anonymus:

its a set timing. the pickup on the dampener is fixed to the car. A while ago you could buy a little piece that goes down at the pickup where you could advance and retard the timing a little. Its difficult but possible to check and see if your timing is off using an old timing light, you have to use a diagnostic tool to get the timing in the check timing mode. If you do and its off try changing the timing chain. if you go the route of adjusting the timing electronically you have to know a lot about the chip in the car. Also there is a little electronic box that relates to timing under the big flat plastic cover just over the radiator that might be bad.. I only told you about that here at the end because its rarely the problem..

Anonymous · 1 decade ago

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hua? To CHECK base timing on the old 4.0 you need to pull the timing pill out so the computer quits controlling the advance and retard....

SpoutConnector.jpg

Also called a "spout" connector

To see if your timing has "jumped" bring the crank damper around so the TDC mark on the damper is at the timing mark, then pull the #1 plug and see if the piston is at top dead center....if not rotate the crank 180 and check again.

There is no real timing adjustment on this engine, all you can do is check the crank/cam timing physically and then with a timing light see where she is running (12 degrees ATDC if I remember right)
Any Ford engine with a cam synchronizer the computer controls timing, not you. No adjustments are possible....

two cranks to one cam ive asked the question thinking my cam sensor was 180 out ... its running on all cyls fairly well … I originaly backprobed it so it must be close but thinking maybe its too close out a little because of slack or ?.... ok I see.. like the octane resistor bar the one in the front is called ? I pull it and the truck will become stationary in stock timing mode :) ill try that for sure

any picks of timing light visual or diagram

and a pill I cant read any advisal on the pills he ha ...I noticed a long time ago pulling the octane bar gives deeper meanings to the stroke /torque but im not an expert ive never tried the pill what would happen ???

the cam should rotate twice for each rotation of the crank (4 stroke engine)
if this is true then your timing CHAIN is fine

On these early engines the cam sensor is only used during start up, it should run fine even without it plugged in.........

woe im getting flashes really not needed to dump fuel???

I just got off a 216 error koeo that turned out to be the main relay for the injectors but don't understand the middle of it being the 2nd primary circuit and only one relay for the fault also looking at pin 9 ground on skematic for edis modual im going searching

the o2 sensor looks connected to the cmp blk with white wire also ..check the pdf if still there good

0900c1528007697b.gif

Attachments

• hotino2.pdf
    63.3 KB · Views: 78

some surging when taking out the pill not heavy more like I want to say altitude cycling at best ….injectors ?

Back