Paul Gagnon

Poseur SUV
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sherwood Park, Alberta eh?
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
Today I went with my friend Mike to test drive the new Mustang. The first dealership that we went to only had a couple of V6 models and none that they would let us test drive. One of the salesmen said that production of the GT was on hold and another told me that they didn't have a GT but they could order me one if I wanted. :rolleyes: I took a look in the phone book and called a couple of other dealers the first two also said that they didn't have any I could drive but when I called the thrid he said that they did have a black GT that I could test drive... but only around the block. That'll do!

I drove down there and sure enough there was a black GT and it looked fantastic! As the saleman went inside to get a plate I peek in the window. IT WAS A FIVE SPEED!!! Woo Hoo! The salesman fired it up and it sure sounded sweet. Even through the factory mufflers the 3 valve 4.6L made all the right sounds.

I jumped in the driver's seat, Mike got into the back and the salesman in the passenger's seat. What struck me first was how big the centre console was. I thought it was a little too tall and wide but I would soon be proven wrong. The interior was very well laid out and the gauges had the same script and font as would have been found on a '67-'68 Mustang. The whole feel of the dash was something new but at the same time very familiar (my Dad had a '68 Ford Fairlane). The seats were red leather but strangely though I usually am not fond of red interiors these seats looked good! The front seats were very supportive and comfortable. The one thing that I didn't care for is how flimsy the back seat felt when it was folded down. I was able to get into a comfortable driving position while at the same time having lots of head room and being able to see out the windshield without ducking down (something that seems to be harder and harder to do in new cars these days).

At first I was a little confused by the tiny little shifter sticking up through the huge console. I kinda thought it might be awkward to drive. I was wrong. Easing gently out of the lot I turned right onto the street. After rolling on gradually like I would in my own Mustang I pressed the throttle firmly to the floor. The engine roared and it pulled hard. I shifted into second gear not looking at the tach but listening to the engine for the cue to shift. The transmission shifted smoothly and quickly and the car lept forward again until I reached 100 km/h and a red light. I slowed down for the light and it turned green as I got there. Around the corner I darted again thrusting the pedal to the floor. As I grabbed second gear again I quickly glanced at the salesman. Not a word did he say but the look on his face said it all. He was not impressed but you can't sell a car like this if you don't let people open it up.

To the top of second gear again and I came to another red light. At the green I again zip quickly through first and second. What a rush. What a sound. And again a red light. Normally so many red lights in a row would begin to upset me but today I was excited to see the lights turn red. Through first gear and again hard into second. This stretch was longer and I was able to shift into third. I did not want to go too fast so I drove with traffic in third. The torque of the engine was still quite strong in third gear and was able to push me back into the seat. Another red light and around the final corner before the dealership. One more time to the top of first gear, then second and into third, downshifting into second braked and pulled into the dealership. My god what a feeling. I have driven a lot cars and a lot of fast cars but never have I been so impressed with any of them. I do have a bias towards Mustangs but it was more than that. This car was amazing!... And I want one!

:smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow... wish i could could test drive an awesoem car ;)

i drove basically the same car about a week ago.....gt with a 5 speed....and damn what a car it was....it almost felt like i was sitting in my dads 65, the salesman acually encouraged me to open it up. the dealership was out in the country so i had some nice coiuntry roads to play on, got it up to around 80 before the salesman was looking kinda worried. it was one of the smoothest 5speeds i have ever driven, cluch effort was smooth and light and shifter feel was great....if i could afford one the explorer would be gone in a heartbeart :D

Stephen said:
Now I gotta go drive one!

Me too!! Wonder what they'll do if an 18 year old kid walks in and wants to test drive a new V8 Mustang :D

IAmTodd said:
Me too!! Wonder what they'll do if an 18 year old kid walks in and wants to test drive a new V8 Mustang :D

i am only 20 and i didnt have any problems, just dress nice and look for the young salesman, i even went so far as to go inside after the testdrive and talk numbers for a few, jsut so i knew how much i couldent afford it, all i can say is, clooege students, no job payments = :eek:

New West eh?... what dealership? :D

Silverblade said:
New West eh?... what dealership? :D

I went to Ocean Park Ford.

IAmTodd said:

It depends on where you live and the policies of the dealership. I know here you cannot testdrive a car until you are 18. When you're 18 you can drive it with the salesman present and you must be 21 to test drive it alone, those are Maryland's insurance regulations. In NY state for instance car dealerships and rental car agencies are not allowed to discriminate based upon age as long as you're 18.

The dealerships around me will let most people test drive cars. I was able to test drive a brand new cobra when I was 17and a brand new corvette when I was 18. The way I pulled that off was I dressed in casual business attire (polo shirt, slacks, etc). If you go in the dealership looking like a young kid who is there for a joy ride, then they will not let you test drive a car. If you are a teenager and drtess nicely (not clothes 10 times too big or lookin like you came out of a rock video) then they will be more willing to let you test drive the car if you are young (16-21).

Back