Test Pipes on 98' v6 SOHC Explorer Sport? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Test Pipes on 98' v6 SOHC Explorer Sport?

slums77

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
98' Explorer Sport
Hello,

Currently my exhaust set up is just a regular Magnaflow muffler (dual inlet, single outlet) and no resonator after the muffler. It sounds nice and all, but I want louder. I was going to run straight pipes, but I think that's a little to risky for where I live and my dad would go crazy. I was thinking of getting catalytic converter test pipes and replace the two with those. Here is the link to the test pipe ( http://www.frozenboost.com/product_...d=329&osCsid=bbc62233664b486be74dc11f7f10267a )

I'm hopefully going to replace the two stock cats with two of those. Would this give me the "loud" I am looking for? Would it sounds pretty "throaty"? If anybody is running this set-up, please let me know...opinions are welcome also.

Thanks,
Mason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It will make it louder, yes, but also raspier. Not the sound you're expecting. I would go with HFC instead.

I run them on my truck but I'm supercharged and built.Your lose power, definitely be LOUDER tho..also should mention its highly illegal, this is on my ""off road"" truck..
2012-04-16193832_zps9c42e9e9.jpg

Dynomax VT 17964

If you want to maintain low engine speed torque and improve high engine speed airflow I suggest you consider the Dynomax VT 17964 available for $150 from Summit Racing.
17964.jpg

It has dual 2.5" dia. inlets and a single 3" dia outlet. If you can't afford a 3" tailpipe (it's a tight fit between the rear shock and the sway bar link) then install a reducer on the outlet for your stock tailpipe.
TP3.jpg

Are those 2 cats back to back? Is that a better set up than having each one as close as possible to the headers?

I run them on my truck but I'm supercharged and built.Your lose power, definitely be LOUDER tho..also should mention its highly illegal, this is on my ""off road"" truck..
2012-04-16193832_zps9c42e9e9.jpg

Are they maybe available in 2.0" inlet/2.25" outlet (same as stock)? Wouldn't that retain the low engine speed torque more?

If you want to maintain low engine speed torque and improve high engine speed airflow I suggest you consider the Dynomax VT 17964 available for $150 from Summit Racing.

It has dual 2.5" dia. inlets and a single 3" dia outlet. If you can't afford a 3" tailpipe (it's a tight fit between the rear shock and the sway bar link) then install a reducer on the outlet for your stock tailpipe.

Are those 2 cats back to back? Is that a better set up than having each one as close as possible to the headers?

Its two test cats back to back.I have a ohv and they are same one you posted in your link.your lose power no matter what size you use, just to free flowing.if you want it louder and not lose power look into larger tips, but makes it raspy

Its two test cats back to back.I have a ohv and they are same one you posted in your link.your lose power no matter what size you use, just to free flowing.if you want it louder and not lose power look into larger tips, but makes it raspy

I think larger tips will mostly just change the tone of the exhaust...

Back