test results of v-leds plug and play HID kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

test results of v-leds plug and play HID kit

russell bruesch

Reaction score
City, State
new buffalo michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 limited explorer
I finished installation of the v-leds 9005 35 watt 5000k HID kit. Before i removed the stock halogen bulbs i tested the existed light pattern on my driveway and garage door and took measurements of the existing beam pattern. I also drove the vehicle in our the village and tested light output and distance thrown to use as a comparison the the new HID kit.
The new HID kit bulbs cutoff were adjusted to the exact same dimensions as the stock halogen bulbs on the garage door.
I like the bright white color of the beam ,very pleasing to the eye instead of the yellow cast of the stock halogen bulb. Light output and distance of light thrown is no better than stock halogens in my opinion. I could not see farther down the road compared to the stock halogen bulb. The width of the beam was about the same as the stock halogen also.

Was somewhat dissapointed ,was expecting more performance from this system. Am wondering if using an OEM HID bulb would offer more performance. I assume i can change to a different manufacturers bulb without any problems ?
All my tests and comparisons were with the low beams only.

Maybe this is all you can expect with any 35 watt system. To see a large increase in light output maybe the 55 watt system is needed ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you adjusted the height of the beam pattern to what it was BEFORE the hid install, then you didn't adjust it at all then right ? just because you put brighter lights in the housings doesn't necessarily mean you'll see farther, this is the case in a projector housing. the projector housing is still focused in one area (hence the beam pattern/cutoff). you'll have to adjust the beam pattern higher...... now if you had a reflective housing in this vehicle, then adding a hid kit would yield farther light distance, BUT the beam pattern would not be focused thus, creating horrible glare for oncoming traffic and be very annoying for people driving in front of you.....

and yes, a 55w kit will give you more light, but it also runs the risk of melting the projector/housing if it can't withstand 55w from an hid kit (normally runs hotter than a halogen bulb).

if you adjusted the height of the beam pattern to what it was BEFORE the hid install, then you didn't adjust it at all then right ? just because you put brighter lights in the housings doesn't necessarily mean you'll see farther, this is the case in a projector housing. the projector housing is still focused in one area (hence the beam pattern/cutoff). you'll have to adjust the beam pattern higher...... now if you had a reflective housing in this vehicle, then adding a hid kit would yield farther light distance, BUT the beam pattern would not be focused thus, creating horrible glare for oncoming traffic and be very annoying for people driving in front of you.....

and yes, a 55w kit will give you more light, but it also runs the risk of melting the projector/housing if it can't withstand 55w from an hid kit (normally runs hotter than a halogen bulb).

so essentially unless you plan on blinding passing drivers, it's pointless to switch?

no. the headlights came from the factory aimed too low. so you can aim them higher to get further visibility and still not blind people.

I thought about raising the cutoff point of the lamps to get more distance with the low beams but i am afraid besides possibly blinding oncoming traffic that when switching to high beams that most of the light will be aimed to high to be very usefull. I have a 2004 ford explorer that has an identical stock low beam cutoff point that the 2011 EX has with the stock halogens. That is why i dont believe the stock factory halogens on the 2011 Ex are aimed too low as some people have suggested. I have not followed the exact headlight aiming instructions that are in the ford manual though. I should try and duplicate there aiming instructions to verify if they are set too low. Right now they are the same as my 2004 ford explorer.

I raised my cut off lines and do not blind people at all. I drove in my honda accord while my wife drove the X behind me. I did have to lower the driverside light lower but it's fine now. I can see and so can other drivers:thumbsup:

I wished I knew someone with a Factory HID system to compare with. Then maybe even switch bulbs and balast with in-order to truly know if they have the same projectors or not. And it would also let us know if bulbs make a difference between aftermarket and stock...

I raised my cut off lines and do not blind people at all. I drove in my honda accord while my wife drove the X behind me. I did have to lower the driverside light lower but it's fine now. I can see and so can other drivers:thumbsup:

I wished I knew someone with a Factory HID system to compare with. Then maybe even switch bulbs and balast with in-order to truly know if they have the same projectors or not. And it would also let us know if bulbs make a difference between aftermarket and stock...

Mike, how do you adjust the beam height. My left and right beams are slightly off height wise and would like to tweak it a bit by raising one slightly to match the other.

Mike, how do you adjust the beam height. My left and right beams are slightly off height wise and would like to tweak it a bit by raising one slightly to match the other.

It's a screw adjustment that is on the top part of the headlight. It's like a little recessed hole. You can find the adjustment instructions in the manual.

Is the driver's side the one that is lower?

Before you tweak them, keep in mind the driver's side headlight is often aimed slightly lower to help avoid blinding oncoming traffic.

Driver side is slightly higher than passenger side.

Mike, thank you!

Just installed the VLEDS 9005 6k plug-n-play HID kit. Took me about an hour and a half to install everything. Cutting a whole and getting the wires through the dust cap probably took the most time.

I haven't driven down a completely dark road yet, but so far they seem much brighter than the stock halogens. When the brights are on they are definitely bright! I had my wife drive around in another car with me and said she wasn't blinded with me coming towards her or following her. I like the slight blue tint of the headlights and it matches the slight blue tint of all the LED lighting I installed. For $50 it's definitely a good deal.

does xenon work in the auto mode ?
i already sent them an email about and the said now ,is that correct ?

Would love to know if the HID replacements work with the auto setting...someone please chime in. Thanks

Yep, they work just like the stock bulbs do in AUTO mode.

Yep, they work just like the stock bulbs do in AUTO mode.

Thanks...just wondering if i should opt for the 55W...anyone here go with them? I dont want to blind/irratate other drivers.

Just installed the VLEDS 9005 6k plug-n-play HID kit. Took me about an hour and a half to install everything. Cutting a whole and getting the wires through the dust cap probably took the most time.

I haven't driven down a completely dark road yet, but so far they seem much brighter than the stock halogens. When the brights are on they are definitely bright! I had my wife drive around in another car with me and said she wasn't blinded with me coming towards her or following her. I like the slight blue tint of the headlights and it matches the slight blue tint of all the LED lighting I installed. For $50 it's definitely a good deal.

can you give the link of the package that bought?
because i want a package that tested with the auto mode and you did confirm for that it works ,
cheers

So after running the bulbs for awhile did you notice that the ballasts where hot?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back