Texas Armadillo's "Copper Top" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Texas Armadillo's "Copper Top"

There is an old saying that when you are a child you play with childish things, when you grow up you must put them away for adult things. Well, I decided to find the gray area. Becky and I had to come to the decision that if we were going to have a family we needed to get a family vehicle. Unfortunately, that meant getting rid of Dillo since that was only only a 2-door sport.

We decided to go window shipping two weeks ago just to see what is out in the market space. My criteria was simple. I wanted a 4th generation with 4x4. I figured since I had never owned a 4x4 before this was the perfect time to get one. So, we went to our local dealership and just asked to see what they had. The salesman told us to wait that they just received a new Explorer in and that I might be interested in it. Well, much to my surprise he came around the corner with the exact model I was looking for. Mean less to say I could not pass it up.

I will list the specs as I figure them out, but here is what I know.

2010 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 "Copper top"
Color: Dark Copper
Engine: V-6 4.0L
Interior: Black Leather
Sirius Satellite Radio
Moon Room
Sync System
Heated Seats
Adjustable Peddles
more to come...

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

DSC_0011-1.jpg

DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0009-1.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That has to be one of the best colour's ford has released. Sweetness there mate.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Amigo. I would have to agree. It actually seems to change color throughout the day depending on the amount of sun exposure. Its funny the dealership had three documents listing its color. All three had it as a different color.

nice x u got there u plan on doing mods to it

One of my favorite colors as well...

When I first opened the topic and saw the first picture I was hoping for an Iron Man edition Explorer.

But I do very much like that one too. :D

And quite a nice picture in the flowers!
Seems Ben isn't the only one with a pink fetish. XD

Very very nice, Armadillo! Congrats on a great buy!
I have to agree that, that is an AWESOME color. :thumbsup:

nice x u got there u plan on doing mods to it

Does a squirrel like nuts?

You better believe I will be modding this bad boy. The only problem is I have to figure out what I want to do. I know I want to add a bull bar with spot lights. This would look much like PWR Adict's X. I also would not mind a lift. That is where I need to do some research and figure out the best option. I probably will not get to carried way with this one. I really want to by another 01-03 Sport to make my trail truck. I am always open to suggestions.

One of my favorite colors as well...

When I first opened the topic and saw the first picture I was hoping for an Iron Man edition Explorer.

But I do very much like that one too. :D

And quite a nice picture in the flowers!
Seems Ben isn't the only one with a pink fetish. XD

I do love the Iron Man Edition, and would have probably jumped on that to. As far as the pink is concerned. I could not help that the wife's family pasture is full of Buttercups and not Indian Paint Brushes. Either way it was a good nature scape area for photographs.

i was thinking u should do a lift and put hids and exhaust and intake and etc

I will defiantly do a lift. Stock height is just a little short for me. Exhaust and intake are a no brainier. HIDs might not make it on this rig. The wife really does not favor them.

Yall know any good lift ideas of the 4th generations?

BTF Fabrication mate. I'm pretty sure their 3rd gen spacer's work on 4th gen's, upper control arm's are available soon aswell and a 1 1/2" bodylift will fit too I think(?) under $50.00 for that. She'd be meaner than a cut snake.:thumbsup:

I love you Aussies. Although I shoot my snakes.
I'm new to the suspension modification realm so I will have research it a bit more.
Thanks for the kind words though.

Did ya keep the 'Dillo plate?

And the pink was just a joke!

I know the pink was a joke, but I really did want to find a Indian Paintbrush field.

No, I gave up the Dillo plates. I didn't fully think out how the plate would look or what else could be thought of its spelling. I will probably just get a group plate later. I always did like the "Go Texan" plates. I will wait till the end of the year to do that though.

Did someone turn that last L into a D on your plate? Cheeky bugger's:D

That is exactly what happened. I had to keep a can of Varvasol in truck to clean up any graffiti.

DSC_0149.jpg

Little update....
Well I have had Copper for 2 months now and could not be happier. I have had no problems other than a bolt in the front passenger side tire. This is to be expected though. I live in one of the most active construction sites in the nation. At least I get to take advantage of Ford's tire warranty plan. On Dillo I was averaging a new tire (due to sidewall holes) once every 6 months. I also had the oil changed. Once again nothing spectacular. While I was at the stealership I found out that no one makes a bull bar for a 2010 Explorer yet. So, I guess I will have to wait for that.

This past week the wife and myself decided to take a little trip down to Port Aransas, Texas. We had a blast testing out the 4x4 on the beach. There were a few moments that got a little hairy due to really soft sand, but we pulled through.

Glad she's treating you right mate.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We went to Amarillo this past weekend. Becky and myself decided to go to Palo Duro Canyon. It was absolutely beautiful. The only thing I wish is that I had a off-roading rig and a stretch of land to run. Here are some pictures.

DSC_0196.jpg

DSC_0181.jpg

DSC_0135.jpg

Back