Texas Armadillo's "Dillo Mobile" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Texas Armadillo's "Dillo Mobile"

It has been a long time coming, but I finally have everything I need for my thread. The main hang up I have had is that I needed to wash Dillo. I listed all the fun information below along with some pictures. Let me know what yall think. Any hints, tips, or advising would be deeply appreciated. Truth be told, I did not really get into customizing my Explorer until I stumbled across this forum. I would like to thank all of you for your informative posts that I have uncovered already, and for the future posts I have yet to see.

Basic Information:

Name: Mike

Dillo's current specs:

Transmission: 5R55E (stock)
Tires: 235R1670 Goodyear Integrity
Wheels: Stock
Speakers:Stock
Radio: Dual 50x4 watt XM satellite radio
Exterior: Grill Guard
Muffler: Magnaflo 14" single center
Everything else I did not list is stock.

What Dillo wants:

Roof rack: I have a plan in mind I just need a welder.
New Shocks: I was thinking Rancho 5000
Grill Guard lights: Open to suggestions, they just need to be black housings
Fog lights: Nice round fog lamps
4x4 conversion: little scared about this one. I have never attempted this before.
Shackles/TT: Warriors come out and play.
Trim: Paint it black
Sound System: New Pioneer speakers and head unit. I was thinking full screen.
Extended Sound: I want to add a sub.
Alternator: 200w alternator
Intake: bigger and better
Throttle body: modify to allow for greater air flow
Tires: BFG All Terrain 31"
Rims: Once again Paint it black
Emblem: Black

Let me know what yall think.

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice Ex. What kind of grill guard do you have on her? I went with the Rancho's on my 00 Sport and really liked them. Going to be putting them on my XLT when I get a chance.

Thanks, I'm not 100% sure what grill guard that is. Luckily, it came with the vehicle. If I had to guess I would say it is Westin's Sportsman Grill Guard.

Hey!! I saw that rig in person, hehe. Mike, she looks good, even washed :D

Ya this was before I headed down to Austin. You should here the Magnaflo I put on it yesterday. It added a deep rich sound to Dillo.

Weekend Work

I had some fun this weekend. I changed my transmission filter and added new fluid. Then today I replaced my steering wheel cover. I have the pictures below for yall to look at. I do have one question. Do yall think I should do a write up on installing a Wheel Skin steering wheel cover and also one for the transmission filter replacement? Or, has that already been done. I don't remember seeing anything about the Wheel Skin cover. I also could not find anything on a 2002 Sport, only the 2nd gen procedure. Any ways let me know what yall think.

BUT, first what does this connector do or maybe what is it for?

DSC_0021Arrow.jpg

Transmission

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

Steering Wheel

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

I took the old cover off in these next two pictures.

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

Looks good, good job on the recovering job. Could you get a clip of the magnaflow? Im still debating exhausts. Did you keep stocking piping and the resonator?

Nice work Mike!!!!
Man, do a write up of whatever you want to cover.:D

Kool, I'll do them tomorrow.

Looks good, good job on the recovering job. Could you get a clip of the magnaflow? Im still debating exhausts. Did you keep stocking piping and the resonator?

Shouldn't be a problem. I will just need to find a recording device that I can transfer to the computer.
As far as the setup. I was thinking about the Cat back system, however it was a $230 system. I don't have that kind of change right now. I simply cut out the stock muffler and inserted in the Magna Flow. Well, I paid $35 for the swap at a muffler shop. I don't have a house with a welder yet =-(

Writeups are always welcome, even if they've been done before, some people mention other things someone else might not of. :thumbsup:

Steering wheel does look great!
G'luck with your ride. :)

nice sport u got there i got an 01 sport

Thanks I try. Yall should see some more modifications in the coming months. The wife and myself will be moving to a house and out of our apartment. This should allow me to paint the trim black.

I was in Houston this weekend and like always nothing is ever easy for me. Before, I could make my way back to North Texas I had to put the spare tire on. This makes two flats in 5 months. I'm getting tired of fixing/replacing tires.

My next fix is replacing the stock shocks on Dillo. I'm just going to grab the Autozone special since I see me not having Dillo by the end of the year.

Dillo is no more. I went window shopping today and came back with a 2010 "Copper Top". I'll make a new registry on it when I get some pictures to show.

Back