Texas Offroaders! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Texas Offroaders!

Sinjin PEZ

Reaction score
I remember a while back some one saying something about a offroad place here in Texas, and i started asking around, and got the directions from the organizer of a Jeep club here in town, id really like to check it out, whoooosss coming with me?
Jason wrote:
The below info should give you everything you need...If yuo have any other
questions, feel free to ask anytime.
Jason

Hwy 35 and Hwy 10 both run into San Antonio. So if you are coming from out
of town on one of those hwy's take Loop 410 west and follow it around to
exit 11 (Ingram Road) and go outside the loop. Go to the first light (Ingram
Park Mall - on your right), turn left (yes it's also called Ingram Road) and
go straight thru the next light. As you past that light you will cross a
bridge and on your right you will see a paved entrance(Do not take this one)
just keep going to the very next low water crossing (entrance on your right)
and you are at the beginning of the Den. The trails go back for approx. 3
miles and there are many obstacles to try your vehicle on from hills, to
rocks, ledges, mud holes and just riverbed rock. It's best to go with
someone who knows the area, especially if it has just rained. There are some
deep water holes that will swallow you up.
Please do not go here after dark or drink alcohol while wheeling out here,
the police and news media do not need any more reasons to make us look bad.

Here are some GPS coordinates to the local hot spots on the trails.
Tim's Rock - 29*28.05 N 098*37.83 W
Todd's Creek - 29*28.26 N 098*37.96 W
Universal Hill - 29*28.40 N 098*38.00 W
Axle Breaker Hill - 29*28.55 N 098*38.16 W
Huge rock to play on - 29*28.63 N 098*38.18 W

Continue on the trail/riverbed and you will come to a bridge (Grissom Road)
you can exit here and get gas and snacks. The Grissom side is a very wide
rocky section that is fun to play on and get all flexy on. There are no set
trails to stay on, so just try all the rocks out and enjoy : )

Dirt Bank Grissom side of the Den - 29*29.38 N 098*38.25 W
Rock Creek section Grissom side of the Den - 29*29.83 N 098*38.26 W
RTI Ramp looking trees just for general purposes - 29*29.97 N 098*38.22 W
UPS exit Grissom side is currently closed and so this is the turn around
point - 29*30.23 N 098*38.06 W You are now actually 2.90 miles from the
entrance to the Den.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2000 1:32 AM
To: jbeer@austin.rr.com
Subject: Devils Den?

So it looks like we have no excuse not to check this place out, anyone wanting to go place contact me or post here, and maybe we can set up some dates.
kwalkins@austin.rr.com or
rodney_guajardo@dell.com

------------------
Sinjin PEZ
www.enjoy-pez.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sinjin,

This sounds like a great place to go. I live in San Antonio and have actually driven on the real roads behind Ingram Park Mall and probably seen what you are talking about. Let me know about checking them out, I could probably do it most any weekend since we are practicly in my back yard. I don't know of anyone around here who would be experienced with that though, but I may could come up with one other truck to go (not an explorer though).

Michael
91 EB
2.5" and 32's

------------------
"I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers."

Hey fella's, I live real close to what you just described. The trail apparent ends a Guilbeau rd just a couple blocks from Bandera Rd. I've seen guys down there but never knew where the started at. I think i may try driving it from my end to your starting point tomorrow. Michael, if you get any time off during the week email me. I work weekends but during the week i can rock. Sinjin, email me if you would like to get together down here.

------------------
Keach
98 XLT 4X4 SOHC
Edelbrock Shocks
Granatelli MassAirFlowSensor
Kurtz Kustom AirFilterKit
RanchHand Front Grill Guard
Custom Rear Add-a-leaf
BFG 31x10.5 AT's

I don’t live quite as close as the rest of you, but would like to give it a go just the same. At the moment, my Explorer is still broke from the last misadventure, but should be on the road again by the end of the week. Could anyone make it the last Sunday of February (27) or sometime in March?

Great guys, lets see if we can put something together for the end of Feb.
Keach, Michael: See if you can find out if there are any campgrounds around there. Im mostly stock, but would really like to see what my truck can do. Who else would be interested?

------------------
Sinjin PEZ
www.enjoy-pez.com

Keach,

Sorry I couldn't get back to you this week. School was keeping me busy with tests and stuff. So did you go and check it out or no? If you didn't and might like to tomorrow, I should be in by 12:00 or so and could meet you out by Ingram Mall by 2:15 or so. The only plan that I have for tomorrow is the Spurs game at 7:30. Give me a call at home if you want to do this (210 558-7239).

Shaggy,

That weekend in Feb I will be in Houston for my fathers birthday, but something in March would work out good for me.

Sinjin,

I don't know of any campgrounds around there. I'm pretty knew to the area, but I'll keep my eyes open for you.

Later Guys,

Michael

With a little luck, I might be at the game too. It's a friend of a friend with tickets, so who knows. Look for a crew of really drunk white guys.

Nothing is quite like the first round of exams each semester to eat up free time. I had 2 today plus a paper, next week is better with 1 tue, 2 tth, and 1 sat. Where do you go? If our spring breaks are the same I can head up there between trips to the beach. I'm in the UH system, so anytime from the 12th to the 18th is golden.

Brian

Hey guys, I didn't get a chance to check it out. i'm working until monday and i'll try again then. Basically your just driving down a large drainage easement or flood plain. Tomorrow's game hopefully will be better than Cleveland was. I'm a big spurs fan!!!! As far as camp sites go, i'll check it out. Medina lake is only a 30 min drive and that would be good place if you want to go outdoors. You guys can contact me if you want at 210 325 8650. My mobile phone, be sure to let me know who you are when your calling, i'm in the land business and if i'm with clients i won't answer, just leave a mssg. Hope to hear from ya!

GO SPURS!! World Champions

------------------
Keach
98 XLT 4X4 SOHC
Edelbrock Shocks
Custom Rear Add-a-leaf
BFG 31x10.5 AT's

Keach,

If you want to wait until Wednesday to check out that place, I'd love to go with you. I could meet you out by Ingram by 2:15 or so. Just let me know here or by email (mboukni@hotmail.com).

That game was a disgrace. I'm a big Rockets fan and they couldn't make anything happen. Oh well, You win some, you lose some.

Michael

Hey guys,

I just got word that i will be down in San Antonio this coming weekend Fri the 25th,(girlfriend whats to visit some friends there), so this would give me a great excuse to get away to check out Devils Den. If anyone else can make it, let me know so we can go check it out on friday or saturday.
Reply here, or by email, Thanks. kwalkins@austin.rr.com and/or
rodney_guajardo@dell.com

------------------
Sinjin PEZ
www.enjoy-pez.com

Hey fellas, sorry it took so long to get back with ya. I will not be able to make it either Wednesday or the weekend of the 25th. I'm working. I did check out the trail briefly on Monday and its fun, but be careful. I bent my front bumper coming down a steep incline with undulations and it sucked!! I've got 31x10.5's and a 1.5" lift all around. If you are going stock or without good tires be extra careful. Your going to experience lots of rock whick can cut a sidewall easy. It's suppose to rain which will make things worse. I'll try again though. My mobile # is above on a post call if you get into trouble.

------------------
Keach
98 XLT 4X4 SOHC
Edelbrock Shocks
Custom Rear Add-a-leaf
BFG 31x10.5 AT's

Hey Guys,

I won't be able to do anything this weekend either. I'll be in Houston to celebrate my fathers bithday. I would really like to check this thing out soon though. Its killing me to read about everyone elses trips, and realize that it has been way too long since I got out in the dirt. Keach, let me know if you dedcide to go back out there next week sometime. It would be alot of fun with someone else along. My number is in a post above or email me.

Michael

Hey!

Are you guys ever gonna run this place and let other Texan Explorers know if it's worth the trip to meet there?

I have more than half a mind to join a couple of 4wd clubs I've heard of to learn about trails and then start a "TExplorers" club, whaddya think?

------------------
Gerald
"Nerves of Steel; Brain of Chipmunk"
~~~~~~~~~
'99 Eddie Bauer 4x4 4.0L SOHC aka "The Jeepeater"
Mods listed in my Explorer Registry post 7/8/99
Dead Link Removed "What the heck is he doing out here in that thing?"

[This message has been edited by GJarrett (edited 03-03-2000).]

Me thinks that Gerald will be needing the 12 step program already. When that bug bites. It bites hard. Dead Link Removed he he he Dead Link Removed

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

Could we look in to a later date too? If we make a date at the begining of the summer I might be willing to go. if it is in the next month or so I think it would be to far for me to drive to have no 4x4. By the begining of the summer the 4x4 convertion on my Navajo should be done. (Buying a t-case in the next few days)

Shaggy,
what happened to your Explorer. If you need some help fixing it let me know I would not mind lending a hand.

------------------
Kris Guilbeaux
1992 Navajo Lx 5-speed
attempting 4x4 convertion
--
http://www.tisd.net/~guilbeau/explorer.html

Kris:

What has not happened to my Explorer? I break it faster than I can fix it. The list of minor stuff that needs work is getting long, but a fried clutch put it down for a couple of weeks. Now the U-joints on the front driveshaft are shot. A few friends of mine want to head to the creek wed afternoon, so I have got to fix that today. Are you still in school? It's been a while since I saw your Mazda on campus. We'll have to do something when you get the 4x4 going. Let me know if you need a hand with anything.

Brian

All righty TEXplorers,

I went this afternoon and played around for a hour or so at this place. It has the potential to be a lot of fun. I shyed away from a lot of the more diffiult looking climbs and all of the mud holes since I was by myself. There is plenty there to challenge a stock or near stock vehicle. I had no trouble with anything that I tried with my JD lift and 32's, but I'm sure that there is more there that I ddin't see today. I would guess that I only saw about half of what was there. So, that leaves us with the question of whose ready to go, and when?

Michael

------------------
"I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers."

Im ready to go right away!
Im off Friday and Saturday, so either day is good for me, lets get together and check it out.

------------------
Sinjin
'97 Explorer Sport 4x4

Sinjin,

I had been planning to leave town on Friday about noon, but will be back by next weekend. Would Saturday of that weekend work for you or is this weekend all you can do?

------------------

Michael

'91 EB JD 2.5"
32" BFG AT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Michael,
Yep, any Friday or Saturday is good for me. So just let me know, if you need to reach me, email is kwalkins@austin.rr.com
Rod

------------------
Sinjin
'97 Explorer Sport 4x4

Back