Thanks and more questions

fishonjr

Reaction score
City, State
Lewiston,MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Hello All,

First, I'd like to thank everyone for posting some terrific information on this website. A few months back, I was looking for info on changing over my automatic hubs to Warn manual lockers. For someone who has very, very little experience working on vehicles, I was able to tackle that job and everything went great. Next, I decided fix my major oil leak (2quarts a week). That was accomplished by changing my intake manifold gaskets and valve cover gaskets. Oh, I have a 94 XLt Explorer with 128,000 miles. Again, thanks to the wonderful "Sticky" I finished that project yesterday. Now I need to tackle a "hesitation" issue.
When I first give the vehicle gas, it has a slight hesitation and acts like it'll stall but it don't. From about 10mph - 35mph the vehicle accelerates great, much better than it did prior to changing the intake and valve cover gaskets. But the problem really lays in that from 35mph on, when I press the gas to try and "get up and go", it just doesn't want to....but if I accelerate at a normal rate of speed it's fine. The RPM's won't even go over 3000. I did notice last night that from 55mph on, it has a slight hesitation, but not nearly as defined as it is from 35-55mph. Any directions (and I'm sure there are many) as to what I should be looking for? The hesitation issue has been a problem ever since my major oil leak started, so I kind of thought it may have been a vacum issue and hoped it would correct itself when I changed the intake and valve cover gaskets. In some regards the vehicle runs better, (10mph-35mph) yet from 35mph on, it now is worse than it was before. Thanks!

Fishonjr

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when is the last time you did a tune up(plugs, wires, etc)?

have you checked the fuel pressure?

have you ever changed the fuel filter or air filter?

Have you ever cleaned your MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor)?

You didn't post which engine you have OHV, 5.0, or SOHC

The symptoms sound like it could be a fuel delivery problem, but without some further testing it's hard to say.

Is the check engine light on?

Sorry I left out some information. It's a 4.0l OHV, and when I replaced the intake and valve cover gaskets, I also replaced the plugs & wires. The check engine light does not come on. I didn't check the fuel pressure, but it sounds like I probably should do that along with the fuel filter. I did change the air filter last week also...Thanks for some direction to look into...I was thinking that it has something to do with not getting fuel for some reason..and like I said, I have very, very little experience with fixing/solving vehicle problems. I'm finding that it's becoming a new hobby of mine and I actually like it more than I thought I would! Thanks to great sites like this, I feel like I can actually do some stuff myself and not be peeing my $$ away paying $70 an hour for labor!

Fish u is da man. Keep up the good work. I'm proud of you. :hammer:

well it sounds like your going about things in the right way, and it sounds like you are very capable. Keep us posted on the progress..

Back