Solved. Thanks for the forum & advice. You helped me repair an intake leak. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved. Thanks for the forum & advice. You helped me repair an intake leak.

Pixies dad

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport
Just a note, I have a rust free 98 exploder sport.....I think the only option was air and maybe power windows but even at this most baseline model it does the job for me.

I have a confirmed vacuum leak on my 4.0 OHV and in reading the forums it seems most, if not all, are due to upper intake "O" ring gaskets. Now I am confident that the uppers are a DIY job, but the lowers, not so much.
So here is the question, do I take a chance and do just the upper or do I farm out the whole upper and lower job just to be sure?......asking for advice please.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have the time and the tools it's really not that bad of a job to do the entire manifold.

Welcome to this forum! Spray intake cleaner around these gaskets while the engine is running to pinpoint the leaking area.
already did that, its the back 2 runners.......shoulda known that when I changed plugs earlier this year, back 2 showed running lean......

Welcome.

A special thanks to all the posts about lean idle issues on the 4.0!...I decided to take a flyer and just do the upper intake gaskets.....,I had determined there was a vacuum leak and studied the threads and it seemed to me that the upper was more prone to air leakage. Well picked up gaskets at AutoZone at 10 30AM and now its 3 50 pm and I am done, showered and resting!....the old girl purrs like a kitten, idles about 700 rpm and pulls smooth from idle....I am one happy camper!
Now there is time to clean up the carpets, fix the rear wiper motor and find the reason my dome light doesnot come on when I open the drivers door....it does when the passenger door and tailgate open.....but thats another story.....

Thanks again to all you posters out there.....it is very helpful.....

A special thanks to all the posts about lean idle issues on the 4.0!...I decided to take a flyer and just do the upper intake gaskets.....,I had determined there was a vacuum leak and studied the threads and it seemed to me that the upper was more prone to air leakage. Well picked up gaskets at AutoZone at 10 30AM and now its 3 50 pm and I am done, showered and resting!....the old girl purrs like a kitten, idles about 700 rpm and pulls smooth from idle....I am one happy camper!
Now there is time to clean up the carpets, fix the rear wiper motor and find the reason my dome light doesnot come on when I open the drivers door....it does when the passenger door and tailgate open.....but thats another story.....

Thanks again to all you posters out there.....it is very helpful.....
It’s possible your door switch just needs lubed. I’m assuming it also doesn’t ding the warning if you open the drivers door with the key in?

It’s possible your door switch just needs lubed. I’m assuming it also doesn’t ding the warning if you open the drivers door with the key in?
you are correct......have not looked in to this yet, where is door switch located?

Back