Thanks guys | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Thanks guys

donkey boy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rome, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 WJ
Thank you, guys! This web site (= you) is partly guilty for me buying an Explorer. :D Rick, you should get a HUGE contribution for this site from the Ford marketing department. This site is the kind of ad every company dreams of.

Let me tell you the whole story; it’s a long story, so get a beer before you start reading (only if you are over 21 and you are aware that alcohol puts your life in danger and and and ...; I just want to make sure a can’t be sued for anything, still trying to find my way here)

I am/was/will always be a Land Rover person. :D :D They are a very common sight in Switzerland where I grew up, and I loved the Series IIA, III, 110 and now Defenders since I was about 4 years old. They have always been our no-nonsense work trucks, probably what the F 150 is for the U.S. As soon as I could afford one, I had one, what adds up to quite some happy years of Landy ownership with all its ups and downs (the downs normally turned out to be very cost or labor intensive). After years with old, beaten up ones, I finally purchased a new Defender 110 not too long ago. Man, was I proud of my baby!

Last year, I got transferred from Switzerland to Virginia (USA) because of my job. In my luggage my gorgeous Defender 110 Td5. The information I got prior to moving was, that an alien can bring a non-US-spec car to the US for personal use. Sure enough, that was the truth. Just, what apparently nobody knew, or they just forgot to tell me :confused: that if you are not working for an embassy or the government, this permission just is valid for 12 months!! After that, the car needs to leave the country. :eek: Hey! I will be staying here for at least four years!!!! I was furious and tried about everything legal to get an extension. No way, DOT is firm: either I make crash tests with my Defender, or .... . OK, my baby will need to leave me in Mid-June!! What the heck, it’s just a car, right? :mad:

Finding a decent replacement was not easy, specially after driving my dream for 18 months. I love to go 4wheeling and I did quite some in Europe (I was also in the selection for the Swiss Camel Trophy team about three times, but never made it to the finals though). So I wanted a four wheeler you actually dare taking off the pavement, with a lot of interior space, but not too big on the outside. I looked at every American-made SUV I think. I did like the Explorer for a lot of reasons. BUT, what I saw underneath the car, I liked less: Cat sticking out, gas tank pretty low, tiny wheels, heavy anti sway bars for preventing the axles to drop and LOT’S of plastic trim. Ouch! I was sure: nobody ever takes this car out on a trail. No fun with that car! :(

By coincidence, I found this web site here, which showed me that I might be wrong. It seams people are having BIG TIME FUN in the Explorer.

OK, to make a long story not longer: last Saturday, I took my new baby, an ’97 Explorer XLT, home :D After looking at it for a week now, I have some plans for some – eem – improvements in mind. Some trim which will get stored in the garage before it gets lost, some underneath protection, some protection for the radiator for when the air dam will become decoration on the garage wall, then I need to take care that these small wheels wear fast enough for having an excuse for changing to some 31x10.5 .... I guess the Explorer spreads a similar kind of virus like the Land Rover, a sickness, which normally ends up costing lots of money and which definitely is not covered by your health insurance!! ;)

Oh well, I just wanted to share my experience with you and actually thank you for curing my depression. So, when you see a guy with a big smile in a white Explorer with XDFNDR (read: Ex Defender, sorry guys, I need to show my roots) on the license plates, hey that’s me!! :D :D :D

Have fun and tread lightly

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

GJarrett

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Chief GPS'um and Still Lost Native Texan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB 4x4 "Herc" RIP
Welcome to the fold, my friend

:D

<

Ray Lobato

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Honda Accord
Hi Donkey boy,
We are all glad that you have the foresight to realize that the Explorer can and is more than just a "taxi" for moms to take the kids to practice.
My 97 is only slightly modified, but has gone some amazing places. :eek: I know that you will like yours. :)
Welcome to the club! :D
I hope you find your stay here in the U.S. a good and enjoyable one. :)

<

Ray Hutchinson

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Dana Point, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
Explorer vs Defender

Donkey Boy,

I too, would like to echo the " welcome" of the others, both to the USA and to ther Explorer ranks! As you can tell from the info here on the site, you can set up your new Explorer anywhere from mild to wild, and there's probably someone here that has done the modification you are contemplating, so feel free to seek advice here on the Board. I have been on runs with Rovers several times before, and the Defender is, IMHO the Rover to have. BTW, since Ford recently aquired Land Rover, it's OK to like LR now! ;)

Perhaps you can make one of the Organized runs that Rick organizes. The Ford factory usually sends reps to ride along, and exchange information with us. The next one is the Fall Colors Run to Colorado, most likely over the Labor Day Weekend, (the first weekend in September).

Glad you found us!:D

<

Char

Admin's Wife, Explorer Babe
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wittmann
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
Callsign
KB7TKQ
Welcome to the site and thanks for the beer. I, of course, had to take your advice and get one before I started reading your story. Enjoy your stay here and your Exploder as we lovingly call them at this site.

<

Stephen

Moderator In Memoriam
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited
Hey thats great! What a story! If you ask me, Rick should put it on the main page ;)

Welcome to the site, the country, and the wonderful world of Explorers Donkey Boy....by the way I feel a little funny calling you Donkey Boy, mind telling me your name?

<

donkey boy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rome, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 WJ
Stephen, the donkey's (boy's) name is Michael. There are a lot of Michaels around, even Michael B. And my last name, Boehm, nobody can pronounce (spelling correct, Char?) And I love donkeys (there is a difference between being stupid and being cleverly stubborn :) ), therefore the name.

Ray Hutchinson, I would love to make it to one of Rick's event, and I would not not mind the drive to the west, but I'm married, you know, and my boys still are a little bit too young (4 & 6) for making a man's trip. But I have a sister-in-law who lives in Phoenix. Well, we might visit here, for Christmas, for example, and then, why not driving out there.... (I'm just thinking :D )

I will set up my car on "mild", because it is my daily runner and I make about 30'000 miles a year. I also need to be carefull that I don't do anything which could void my extended warranty, for wich I paid too much.

Somebody knows anything that I should know about extended warranties being void by 31" or 32" tyres? (I'm still trying to decide whether I should go for 31x10.5 or buying some 16" rims and reuse the 235/85-16 BFG MT from the Defender) Any advice?

Michael Boehm (=donkey boy :D )

[Edited by donkey boy on 06-12-2000 at 06:22 AM]

<

GJarrett

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Chief GPS'um and Still Lost Native Texan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB 4x4 "Herc" RIP
That's a complicated question

Michael, our country has laws that are supposed to protect consumers on warranty issues. I believe one of the major federal laws is called the "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" or something like that. The primary concept is that a company must honor its warranty unless it can prove that the modification you made to your vehicle caused the failure. In other words, your extended warranty must be honored unless the fact that you put on bigger tires is what caused the parts failure.

However, in practice most warranty companies will try to get out of paying by using any excuse they can, and modifications are a good excuse. You must know your rights and show them you know the laws. Being able to say "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act Federal Statute" is a good start to intimidate them :D.

The website http://www.sema.org has comsumer warranty rights information you may want to look at.

Hope this helps!

<

donkey boy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rome, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 WJ
Thanks, Gerald, that helps! I'm practicing: "Magnuson-Moss Warr ..."

<

Goober

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91XLT4x4
I see another conversion completed. Should we start a cult and sent the troops out and start converting others? We could have missionary missions that show people what they could be doing instead of just thinking about it :D . Of course, I'm joking,......unless.....:)

<

01EB5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Allendale, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer V-8 AWD
Hey I think my Explorer taste rubbed off on some of my friends because 1 already bought a 95 EB, another is looking for a 96 V-8 and yet another just drove the truck today and said it handles so much better then their family's Subaru outback then he wants an explorer now.

<