Thanks MikeH and Hello all | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thanks MikeH and Hello all

tracker1962

Reaction score
City, State
Cornwall. ON.
Year, Model & Trim Level
Quote" Just thought I'd pass along a quick note to people about serpentine belt replacement. My X is a 98 with about 83K. When I pulled the belt off I had a lot of cracks but none that looked like it was about to go. I bought a Motorcraft belt from ford for $27. I previously tried to replace it with belt I bought at Autozone which was about 2 inches too long. I just took it back and bought the belt at Ford. I'm starting to lean more and more to Factory parts the longer I play with this stuff.

What you need:
A 3/8 inch drive socket wrench.
A bar to go over the wrench to get added leverage. (you can also use an extra long socket wrench if you happen to have one).
A new Motorcraft belt $27.
7 and 8mm sockets.
How to change it:
Remove the cover at the top of the engine. The cover that says SOHC 4.0 on it. 7mm
Remove the Air Tube near the radiator. 8mm socket. This is the tube that goes from the air filter box to the throttle body. Pull out the tubes that go into the Air tube and set the air tube aside.
Now for the fun part. Find the tensioner pulley. It's toward the bottom of the engine on the passenger side. Next to the pulley is a hole that you can stick your 3/8" socket wrench in without a socket. Set the wrench for loosen. Release the tension on the belt and pull the belt off the tensioner.
Fish the whole belt out of the engine compartment and fish the new belt in using the diagram on the hood for guidance.
Now for the fun part. It helps to have a helper at this time to hold the wrench while you get the belt around the last pulley. Also now is a good time to use a cheater bar on your wrench. I did the top passenger side pulley last so that it was right in front of me.
With your eyes make sure that all of the grooves are lined up on the pulleys with the grooves in the belt on every pulley.
Hook the air tube back up and the cover and start the engine. Go to the engine compartment and inspect the belt to make sure it is running cleanly around the pulleys.
You're done go drink a beer.
A few people have recommended changing the tensioner pulley with the belt. I would suggest this on higher milage explorers. Also throw your old belt in the truck as an emergency replacement if needed.

Good Luck,

Spent most of the afternoon trying to figure this out. Loosening the bolt on the front of the tension pulley didn't seem like a darn good idea. Saw the socket wrench hole as Mike mentioned, "low and behold"!!
I have a battery on a 04 Explorer that is not 14 Volts when the truck is running and draining to dead. Pulled the alternator out and having it "benched tested tomorrow". Boy things have changed from the 70's and 80's when throwing 383's, 350's, 302's,454's or even a hemi under the hood for good measure. Fireball transmition kits and ratchet shifters too boot.
Things have got in a way were places like this is the only way one can keep, or try too, the vehicle going witout spending big money.

Thank you all for being here. My 04 Explorer has been good but in way a "DUD". Got the 2 front bearings replaced from the dealer when I bought it. One rear window that didn't work fixed. Since then "after warranty" the 4x4 light is flashing, the other back window is not working and now this? My 1998 Explorer had 250 Km's and was tired but had less problems than this one in 6 months with 79KM's. Not too happy but nice having you all here to advise.
Tracker.

welcome

Back