thanks to my horn blaring at 3am,my neighbors arent happy... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

thanks to my horn blaring at 3am,my neighbors arent happy...

susan drehle

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas city, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer xlt
Callsign
boner
so, i hear about 5 or 6 very short beep beep beeps of about 1/8th of my normal horn noise, then it just lets loose & continued to blare. (honestly, its sooo loud i couldnt even say for sure if its my horn or the theft lock/door alarm sound)... then started it & it stopped blaring... when i turned car off, started blaring again... i figured out as long as my headlights were on (weither car was started or not), that was the only thing stopping the horn noise. left my lights on til my brother in law came over, referenced the manual & pulled i think it was fuse thingy #10. started car, turned off headlights & it obviously did the job.. no more horn noise. im just hoping all that was disabled was my horn & something dont drain my battery by morning.... i think i saw a common horn problem with my 98 explorer reported online, but any idea what the actual problem is going to be? if its a pricey fix? and pulling this horn/ #10 fuse under my hood hopefully wont cause more problems for me come tomorrow? ive read sooo many posts on this fabulous site for a year, but just signed up to post my own!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have your battery checked
I know someone that this happened to the cops were called and they yank all his fuses and try to tow his truck
Turns out it was a week battery causing his computer to go nuts also check your battery cables to

its interesting you said that!! about 5 months ago, i had to buy a new battery bc my car wouldnt start periodically. no rhyme or reason to when it wouldnt, how long in between from a week to a few days to it wouldnt jump at all. it acted more like a "parasitic drain", esp since the battery was only like 9 months old. but! i just had a new one put in & for amost 5 months no problems. theres just a few issues like this, my car radio lights only light up half the time, that makes me hope there isnt more of an electrical issue more at the heart of these things. thank you for your input!! will do

Go under your steering column and look for one of these after market alarm systems that is wired into the factory wiring. When they get old they start to malfunction and do weird things, this unit in the photo was in my 97 SPORT and would make the horn go off for no reason whatsoever, and would also keep the vehicle from starting. After removing ALL aftermarket wiring and hardware everything now works back to normal.
0JmQNxO6cU0cXCnrKvq_Y6qcMbibQvBnaihiquSztOrm9ALc4gM_ndGNIhMGDeLrUabeA-4mDOnwFh3D8oagjrNPg6EMxxsYJ-w3DlcXNmXz8QEfps_2Q1f8Pd8jIGKzR7rY7BQ_qX-vs4iDN7pYZRbcY1I1CJSt0qLcVI56RYrb5tLfoJFT8RZ-39N7HyYfQV7IlzPcj6fPEq045V3xUzNkr4Pz1_MR1yGxgNS3Rc4o_aF7WaJjKgqvWh6SlacIzkORfXi9XBqWG2zc6lfigULahAh5qBvTnHxnkXz8BIO9cAJLGXQ-JrEnuvDIyOr_4lwKRl4uiyN-VnAs0xbQTBEjd4SrtE499ywd08eNwFLD1AFLN6qL87en_8esyTXdRvkx3Sxb9AwAQErucbW-2qoODret_eG9QkNOe2lI1YIMOepE4FjDSI6mAUAAbr6NPwqtypc5yU8aHWCDcVZ8sEmNgPVZiR1xw_0-yFVHHSLyUzbyLyI6qLCJoN5TYvSFgNDNmZL2BrAUal_dmZ19xZbZMi4J4G8_5f5dgJs22MlkROoY3_mzClUD_WD3prur2BOWebnrpgzO7dxO1EqVS93Ubhuj46aCjMeA55_ig-GjdTkhwZBdtH-FqySHlbhzPVQSfxs_VfhKb36yzm6c7UewFwUc3Do=w1263-h947-no

hey, im up for trying anything... ill absolutely look & check that out! i wouldnt even think to do anything like that lol its just weird how the headlights on is the only thing that seemed to silence either the loud horn or loud theft system noise. i just couldnt tell the difference clearly... it was definitely BOOMING loud. pulling that #10 fuse worked, so im gonna baby it a couple days & pray my battery dont drain, til i get it to the mechanic. ty so much 4 your inputs!

YES the horn is LOAD! I also pulled the fuse to shut it up!

Back