That catalytic game, 02 4.6 limited. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

JustWarminUp

Reaction score
City, State
Ramsey, MN.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Police Interceptor U
2002 Explorer 4.6, if read tons of stuff about exhaust for them but I haven' found a real answer on something.

If you were to remove the cats, replace them with straight pipe then installing the o2 sensor in the same relative spot would the system work with no CEL?

And with that being said would you want to do a bigger piece of pipe to close the gap or a smaller, I get that ideal would be exact same but no shop will help with such a thing so...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

brace-yourself-the-cops-are-coming.jpg

What difference are they looking for specifically, and is there a way to bypass or create that easy like? And not screw with my computers way of running things like a cheap chip?

You will not get help with that here.

Even for curiosity? Just trying to learn to race car. I didn't say I was gonna go chop my exhaust apart, I can't weld. Can you imagine the hack job? Ick.. ill take a sealed good exhaust over a trash modded one. My daily ain't getting screwed with.

Lol. You’re asking about another 2002 Explorer 4.6 ‘race car’? If you are going to race, your selected custom computer tuner can help you.

More of a joke than anything..im not gonna drop tuning into a 4x4 play toy, would rather spend that on the actual race car.

I have multiple vehicles, I just need specifics to this truck thus Ford forum cause I have found almost any answer i needed here but I have specifics too sometimes. And I would like this bugger to turn out nice.

I have a half year 2001/2002 gen3 explorer limited I got for dirt cheap I want to turn into an off road and hunting fishing style beast of sorts, a toy more or less. Also no testing where I live.

My daily is a q45 touring.

No, the front cat measures your levels and adjusts fuel air mix after temp is reached, it is a wide band sensor. If you watch it with a monitor it is quite fast. The rear sensors are narrow band, and their only purpose is to rat if the cats are working. the computer measures the difference between the two to tell if the cats are functioning. The rear are narrow band, and do not refresh nearly as fast. It is a live way of monitoring the efficiency of the converters, and is on all post 97 vehicles sold in North America. When that cel is on for any of the 02 sensors in the system goes into a fixed safe fuel table, in order to not cause catastrophic issues, essentially killing power, and efficiency.

And the only way to beat that is a reprogramming?

Yes. If you are building a “race car” with a 2002 4.6 Explorer, you’ll need a tune anyways.

So, you're asking ExplorerForum to help you turn a cheap half bred 3rd gen into a race car/fishing hunting truck by removing the catalytic converters, an act that is not only against the law and against the forums rules, but will do absolutely nothing in terms of a performance gain and you're expecting this all to "turn out nice"?

ud796m9.jpg

Man. I just wrote out this entire awesome thing and my phone erased it, I'll give the short and sweet, it's a nice truck, I didn't want to f*** it up. No I'm not going to go hack my exhaust off, its going to get torn off on the trails, i need to create a new system with less crap to catch on, thus why I want literally straight pipe, Dont want a cel thought either. Thus why I had "questions" I don't want to chip it but if that's the only way then whatever I'll have to, but I don't wanna waste money on something I'm prolly going to try to Ford the st.croix in.
Ha pun not intended.

1 "race car" was a joke, a nickname, in the directions of people and their toys

2 it's not like my 10-15times a year I would use it would matter compared to you all driving these around all the time with less than 20mpg.

3 if it's illegal how do they build drag car, mud boggers, drift cars, ect ect. Its not that illegal. Onlt if you get caught and its not like i was asking you to help me, I was asking questions, you can't be mad at a question or shun it cause it's an illegal topic, 1000$ you've smoked pot, you crazy illegal person you.

4 I figured a pipe all the same size would give the engine the proper exhaust gas velocity to give it the vacuum effect, if you don't understand this, do some research.

5 you never had something with the cats removed, or punched out or whatever? 80s muscle car ever? Maybe 83-84 trans am most lilely. Or the later camaro. Or the mustangs. How about a boat? Them buggers polute? See my point?

Also can anyone point me in the direct of the salty spitoon? I seem to have ended up at weenie hut jr...

Edit: also I get it, don't ever discuss straight pipes on this forum ever...right?

If you are going to truly be doing off-roading that is going to rip your exhaust off (except your straight pipes will miraculously make it) I suggest you find a better vehicle than a third gen Explorer.

2 is entirely irrelevant.

As for 3, it’s a federal crime. Boats and mud boggers are irrelevant, as they are driven on public roads.

4 it’s designed to run best with the cats intact. Even tuned out, you will gain nothing.

As for 5, nope. I actually spend about 2,000 on pacesetter cats when I drove with failing coil packs and detonated the honeycomb in all three cats.

No one has shunned you, if you have a legitimate question, concern, or problem, I’m certain you’ll find all the help you need.

I'm sure if you wanted to take the time to deconstruct the code and edit it with forscan and throw it back in you could probably figure it out. I work in the technology/telecommunications industry as a repair technician, and deal with software and hardware on a daily basis, and I still probably couldn't figure it out without weeks, if not months of time dedicated to the work. Do you have the tools to pull it off, if so I guess anything is possible. It would actually not be illegal out here in Western Canada.

I'm definitely not employed in the tech field but I have a few years of code writing in me and I have redone a few VWs with Vagcom and its crazyness. I'm guessing a computer with the ob2 hook up? Or do I need to create a custom harness to do a stand alone plug into the actual computer of the vehicle? If it's ob2 and a program I would give it a run.

And yeah a single solid straight piece of pipe from front to back, or a pipe with multiple bulges makes a difference when your dragging your undercarriage across rocks. Deflectors and pan/diff/t-case covers are good. But with exhaust you put it tight to the frame and let it ride. You can't trap a hot pipe inside a shielding tight to your floor. It doesn't end well, unless you take up the carpet and no ones feet go there.

Cats are designed purely for emmisions, absolutely nothing about preformance, that's simple logic. Dont believe me take a 350 tbi, slap 2 cats on and see how it goes, then take them off and see how it goes..

Totally not irrelevant, What makes those drag, drift, top fuel, any of the sorts owners different from me? Never seen a cat on a outlaw, winged or not, aint no cats on asphault carts. So what is it A License of sorts that says they don't need cats? Im truly not understanding why its illegal, but those vehicles sure doesn't have them, and there is giant events where none of them have them and I don't see no cops, how does that work??
^^^^^^^^ honestly really want to know the answer to this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what makes them different from you is they don't come to a forum to ask how to break the law. they know enough to just do it, or, in true racer fashion learn from the trials and errors.

get it now?

Back