• Register Today It's free!

That Darn Blend door!

bichon

Reaction score
City, State
alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
97xl
I had full heat and no control over it. I tried the quick fix with the nail through the "D" post on the blend motor. It worked once or twice and then only partial control of heat available. Took it apart again and the finishing nail was severely bent. The view throught the mirror down into the blend door hinge was classic. The post was half gone. This is a quick fix if you get the angle of the hole dead on. Very difficult and awkward to work with angles using a mirror! I'm convinced that eventually the door has to come out.
I looked at all other options and decided to do the blend door fix by cutting out the bottom of the plenum. Messy to cut with my dremel and again needed a mirror to see what I was doing. I found that the broken pieces of the blend door post were jamming the blend door and that was probably what bent the nail on my first repair. I used the JB Weld fix on the broken pieces. To be on the safe side it has to dry overnight so allow two days to do the work. I put four tabs on the cut out piece of the plenem, secured with JB. I held the panel back in place with a bit of tape and gobbed on the black silicone. Not pretty but can't see it anyway - Works fine. Surprising, but apparently I cannot get the aftermarket blend door from NAPA in Canada.

Back