That Ford almost diesel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

That Ford almost diesel

scott93EB

Reaction score
City, State
Golden, CO (school) Los Alamos, NM (Home)
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Eddie Bauer
I remember there were a few discussions about doing some diesel swaps, I recall some one mentioning a small diesel that comes in Rangers in europe. I just read (Peterson's 4x4) about a diesel that almost was an option in the 04' F-150s, is this the same engine? it's called vt 275, 4.5L, 200-250 hp, 400-450 ft lbs. Did anyone consider/know about this when those posts were going on? Just curious, sounds awesome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

scott93EB said:
I remember there were a few discussions about doing some diesel swaps, I recall some one mentioning a small diesel that comes in Rangers in europe. I just read (Peterson's 4x4) about a diesel that almost was an option in the 04' F-150s, is this the same engine? it's called vt 275, 4.5L, 200-250 hp, 400-450 ft lbs. Did anyone consider/know about this when those posts were going on? Just curious, sounds awesome.

I was reading about it over on FordTruckWorld.com... One of the people that replied apparently works for Navistar, and he was saying that the program got scrapped. It's not surprising given that diesel is more expensive than regular unleaded again.

-Joe

But doesn't diesel get better mileage and more power for your buck? BTU factor?

They usually do but I don't know the comparison between the higher price but but better mileage. I imagine it would be better MPG then the triton v8, it ouwld be awesome, like a F150 and a 1/2, is that a F200? I have no sleep and caffeine pills I may be making no sense right now. Got class......

No, its not the same engine. The diesel in the ranger overseas is a 4 cyl 2.5L i think.

If that other diesel is that small, the Vt 275 would be awesome to put in an X, it weighs almost 1000lbs though.

thanks for those conversions, if the 2.5 can move a ranger well enough, imagine that 4.5 with its numbers. I didn't see dimensions, I have no idea how big it is.

I didn't realize this also has twin turbos, and they're sequential!

Back