That sad day has come | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

That sad day has come

Woah!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this is what the pick up should look like.

30429711_10155247759502513_1383003995_n.jpg

Wow...that's incredible. Makes me want to pull my pan to check my pick up screen condition.

Wow...that's incredible. Makes me want to pull my pan to check my pick up screen condition.
If it helps, the 248k 5.0 I tore apart looked nothing like that. Wide open and flowing well

If it helps, the 248k 5.0 I tore apart looked nothing like that. Wide open and flowing well

cant say the motor thats going in has that many miles on it. i think around 270kms, or 167 miles. the motor thats going into this truck is evils 302 that i held onto as a spare motor in case the the 347 bit it. even when i first went to put the 302 into evil, i tore it down to a short block and it was clean inside and had i think 245kms on it. even looking at everything with the pan off its still clean. the motor that came out of the eddie had just shy of 200kms, or around 120 miles on it. not sure what caused it all. i text brad the pics, and asked how often he changed oil. he used synthetic from day 1 including amsoil for many years, and motocraft filters. the only thing i can guess is he also has a scooter that he uses often in the summer, so it would sit more then driven.
i really dont know what happen to this motor, but wished i could find out, so it never happens to mine.
im hoping i can today get everything back on the motor, and it back in the truck.

That's a shame to see that clogged screen. I'd bet the prior owner to Brad let the oil get too old, and it managed to survive so long with better oils. It's probably been sucking barely through a dirty screen for a long time, and it finally built up enough to choke it off completely.

is that a Explorer Express front lower valance?

Oh Boy!

From the looks of it, the original owner used conventional oil and went too long before changes. Brutal cold Canadian dry starts mixed with sub-par or overdue oil will quickly grind a motor's internals up and at the same time produce sludge and in turn metal chunks. If you guys have ever seen some of the cold pour oil tests on youtube, you can imagine whats happening to the bearings and everything else that has metal-on-metal contact at dry start on a -20F morning. Group IV synthetic oils would never sludge up like that. High quality synthetics also have higher levels of detergents in them so if you start using it in a motor that already has sludge, it will start breaking it up and clog the filter and oil passages. Then combine all that with a performance minded individual who's prone to hammer down and give'r'hell once in a while and it quickly becomes downward spiral. But that's just my guess.

I like that front air damn, looks green like my 2 door.
Great work Tim, another explorer saved from uncertain death.
Keep up the good work!

today was a good day....for some. i however was one of the ones with a good day.
after running around getting bolts that i either thought i had, or didnt know i needed, had the motor together enough to put in....finally.

30825840_10155249420762513_1245159565_o.jpg

30940910_10155249420767513_1076636257_o.jpg

30849893_10155249421037513_1355744406_o.jpg

30954634_10155249421032513_2002235754_o.jpg

not much of a battle putting it in, if you overlook it almost falling off its stand. different story for a different day. but i did get done what i wanted to do, and thats have it back in the truck. there is only a couple of bellhousing bolts in, but its lined up and ready to bolt all back together. not sure if i am going to do anything with it once again during the week. working afternoons sucks, so i dont do anything during the week, i will attack it on the weekend.
it will now be known as evil eddy lol

I like that front air damn, looks green like my 2 door.
Great work Tim, another explorer saved from uncertain death.
Keep up the good work!

still need to sell it. that way i can find me a bigger blower and run into the 12's lol

got this one from a buddy that needed some cash. he used it once. thats it. best 100 i ever spent. it gets used......lots. another story for another time, for another person

not yet. wanted to get the motor in, and running first. pic of the mains (or i can bet lack there of now) wont be for a bit. the motor is sitting on the cradle i made for the 302 i just put in, and isnt tall enough to pull the pan off. that and as soon is i put the motor in, someone i know needed the picker, and i wouldnt have had time to drop it to them during the week, so i got it to them tonight.

so i am calling today a winfail. started yesterday bolting everything back up. had it together enough to see if i had any fuel leaks at the rails. put the battery in, and.....found out the alarm in the truck works great. so did the neighbours. after figuring out how to turn the siren off (enter 3lb sledge hammer) couldnt find any. then the next problem. wanted to crank the motor just to make sure that all worked. well, want i didnt know is the alarm also has a nifty feature that kills the starter if you dont turn it off with the fob. guess what i didnt have......a fob.
so i put some more stuff back together until it was to dark and called i
had a buddy come by today to help take the alarm out of the truck for me. he knows them better then i do. he sells and installs them and stereos as well.
this took us both a hour to get out.

31284822_10155260651582513_1908608185_o.jpg

a tad crazy i would have to say.

so after the alarm, and aftermarket wiring for the old stereo brad had in there was out, had all but to fill the rad, connect the rad hoses, fan, and belt to put on. figured i would start it, to make sure it would run. now here is where this story must go back in time. when this motor was still in evil, i had just finished making the mount for the 112. i had broke a bolt in the lower intake and needed to get it running. out comes the spare lower i had from a 96, gasket port matched it, tossed it on, away i went. well....the bottom of the mount has the intake runner holes in it, and nothing for a internal egr hole. if most of you know the explorer 5L motor, 96-971/2 had a internal egr, and the rest are external. well, i have a 96 lower, and a 98 upper. if you didnt know, the uppers are also different. i did remember this...right after i started it up, and could hear the big ass leak coming from the intake.
so now it sits until i hopefully find a frost plug, or something like that to plug the hole in the lower intake. i did get lucky however, it took me like 10 mins to get the upper off, and didnt break anything doing it.
btw, if you look at the pic, you will see the hole im taking about.

30962277_10155260651572513_1640675835_o.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yesterday i finished buttoning up the the motor, as well as putting the front diff back in and i will now say officially twisted the key. at first i thought it wasnt hitting all 8 so i changed the plug wires back to the ones celly had on it, fired it up again, now it sounds like its hitting all 8. let it run for a few mins. the motor was smoking real bad however, but i also remember that the manifolds came covered in oil to prevent them from rusting, but i can see a small oil leak on the passengers side, or looks like a leak. we spilt some oil on that side when priming the motor on the stand. also put the interior back together (had it apart when pulling the wiring out, and had to change back to the stock sub box). just have to find the factory radio celly sent with it. i know its here someplace. the shed looks like a bomb of tools and parts went off at this moment in time. also going to have to pull the head lights out. they wont pass a manitoba safety. might put them back in, who knows. last thing left is putting in a windsheild, and a good cleaning. none of this will happen today however. when i was doing all this yesterday, it went from 23C to around 5C with in a few hours. thought it was going to snow, and because of that, today i feel like death warmed over. im sure my employer is happy with that as well.

31562809_10155262526127513_121239960329125888_n.jpg

Back