The 2.3L turbo engine in our 2021 XLT Let's dyno that bad boy | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The 2.3L turbo engine in our 2021 XLT Let's dyno that bad boy

Jettech498

Reaction score
City, State
Morrow
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Ford Explorer XLT
We only have a little over 700 miles on Big Red as we call it. Going to be many more in the next week and half on a driving trip to Maine from Atlanta. But here's what just blows my mind about the 2.3L engine. And that is how fast it is. We traded in our 2019 Explorer Sport with the twin turbo engine in it for this Explorer with the 2.3L. And I will bet money that this 2.3L will at least keep up with it 0 to 100 then pass it. I absolutely friggen love this engine. How much boost is Ford running on these 2.3L engines? It has to be between 15 and 20psi. Or in that neighborhood. No way a small 4 cyl. engine can provide that much power without a ton of boost. I just might have to put her on a dyno to see just exactly how much is going to the rear wheels. Has anyone else done that? I had a 2016 Charger SRT with the 392 in it that was rated from Dodge at 485hp. On the dyno it put down 435. Not possible. If you dyno people know what I'm talking about. Even the most efficient driveline loss will be around 15 to 20% depending on auto or manual transmission. 15 to 20% loss is a gift from the heavens that doesn't usually exist. So Dodge lied about the 392 output and I'm thinking Ford is lying big time on this 2.3L when it comes to actual rear wheel output. We will see. 300hp.....Yeah right...in your dreams...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope, Ford does not severely underrate their engines and it's laughable to think it can keep up and surpass a 3.5L EB. You're just going to run the vehicle into the ground prematurely, 2.3 EB is the engine for leisurely drivers and/or don't tow or haul, so fine for its purpose except for the large repair bills down the road.

Nope, Ford does not severely underrate their engines and it's laughable to think it can keep up and surpass a 3.5L EB. You're just going to run the vehicle into the ground prematurely, 2.3 EB is the engine for leisurely drivers and/or don't tow or haul, so fine for its purpose except for the large repair bills down the road.
Do you own or have owned the 2 vehicles I'm talking about? Do you have actual experience with the 3.5L EB and the 2.3L EB???

I'm sure the 10-speed auto makes a difference.

I could only find Motortrend's results for a 2.3 EB rear-drive 2020 Explorer, which was 0-60 in 6.8 vs. 5.9/6.0s for the old Explorer Sport with the 3.5 EB.

Certainly a lot closer than the original 2.0L EB but I'd be surprised if it could keep up with the 2019 Sport over the quarter mile.

Edit: 'Keep up' is a relative term, but it looks like there is probably only a half second difference between them on both the 0-60 and quarter mile, so 'keep up' it does :)

Also, here's the Motortrend link to the tests on the newer models: 2020 Ford Explorer First Test Review: 3 Rows, 3 Engines, and Something for Everyone

I'm sure the 10-speed auto makes a difference.

I could only find Motortrend's results for a 2.3 EB rear-drive 2020 Explorer, which was 0-60 in 6.8 vs. 5.9/6.0s for the old Explorer Sport with the 3.5 EB.

Certainly a lot closer than the original 2.0L EB but I'd be surprised if it could keep up with the 2019 Sport over the quarter mile.
The 10 speed makes a world of difference in using the power of the 2.3L. My 2019 Sport was strapped with the old 6 speed and was no where near as quick as this one is. Trust me.

Do you own or have owned the 2 vehicles I'm talking about? Do you have actual experience with the 3.5L EB and the 2.3L EB???
You need to get over subjective impressions of a busy turbo engine (busy because it is too small for the vehicle) and look at existing FACTS, proven facts, how can this not be obvious to you? Did you think you were some pioneer and nobody else has ever encountered the 2.3L EB? Quite the opposite, they were tested the moment they hit the market.

Adding speeds (gears) to the tranny, good for fuel economy, bad for longevity, and does not make up for a large HP and torque difference. It's just another way vehicles have become more expensive to operate with the excuse that if you drive a lot of highway miles, maybe the fuel economy will make up for it.

You need to get over subjective impressions of a busy turbo engine (busy because it is too small for the vehicle) and look at existing FACTS, proven facts, how can this not be obvious to you? Did you think you were some pioneer and nobody else has ever encountered the 2.3L EB? Quite the opposite, they were tested the moment they hit the market.

Adding speeds (gears) to the tranny, good for fuel economy, bad for longevity, and does not make up for a large HP and torque difference. It's just another way vehicles have become more expensive to operate with the excuse that if you drive a lot of highway miles, maybe the fuel economy will make up for it.
One more time. Have you owned or have driven the 2 vehicles that I'm talking about? If not your comments are hilarious at best.

One more time. Have you owned or have driven the 2 vehicles that I'm talking about? If not your comments are hilarious at best.
Butt dynos are historically inaccurate.

That's a fact. Lol

I think I have seen somewhere that it puts down 280ish to wheels which is not bad for a big SUV. The 2.3 liter motor has a lot of heart but it is not as fast as 3.5 EB Explorer. My STI will smoke either one of them in pretty much any instance but do you really want to go 160 mph in an Explorer? I would think not. As far as boost goes it is around 17-18 lbs. stock I would bet and that is a lot for a stock vehicle. Ford learned a lot with 4 cylinders from Mazda and Cosworth, the 2.3 liter ecoboost is a very good engine. Lots of ST owners on here that love the ST and have to justify for paying 55-60k for an Explorer.

I believe the next purchase for me will be a hybrid, I can not wait for the Bronco Hybrid to come out. The 2.3 liter ecoboost is a good motor, vastly under tuned and with a tune it could make 360-400 whp easily. Look at the Focus RS.

This generation Explorer is the nicest street SUV Ford has produced in a long time, Rear wheel drive with a great ride in a super spacious SUV. They really are great rides. Enjoy.

One more time, I prefer facts. If you think they're lying about HP or torque, maybe they're also lying about displacement and you really got a 6.7L powerstroke. ;)

It is hilarious that you don't believe in science or think that a manufacturer would substantially underrate a smaller engine or push it past the output of its larger, also turbocharged engine that costs more.

On the other hand, if you are happy with the performance of the 2.3L, that's great!

Nope, Ford does not severely underrate their engines
My old ex 03 Cobra says hi....

Butt dynos are historically inaccurate.
Exactly this, just because it feels faster doesnt mean it is....

My 2020 Platinum doesnt feel any faster than the 2018 Sport I had, in fact, it felt slower. Despite being lighter, having more tq and 10 speed tranny. Yet, its somewhere in the ballpark between the heavier Aviator and ST which are out of the Sport's league.

I really don't have a dog in the race although I like my 2.3, BUT Ford and other manufacturers have underrated their motors on and off for years probably starting in the 60s. The little 2.3 in 2020 is 280 hp in the Lincoln 300 hp in the Explorer 330 in the Mustang. The V-6 3.5 is 375 in the Ford and as high as 450 in the Lincoln. That's quite a spread.
Upon edit, under-rated maybe is the wrong term but under-tuned?

I really don't have a dog in the race although I like my 2.3, BUT Ford and other manufacturers have underrated their motors on and off for years probably starting in the 60s. The little 2.3 in 2020 is 280 hp in the Lincoln 300 hp in the Explorer 330 in the Mustang. The V-6 3.5 is 375 in the Ford and as high as 450 in the Lincoln. That's quite a spread.
Upon edit, under-rated maybe is the wrong term but under-tuned?
I remember back in the early 90s when Ford had the SVO mustang with a turbo 2.3 in it. I had the 5.0 in mine and my buddy had the SVO. I'm telling you even back than my 5.0 had a hard time keeping up with that 2.3. Amazing memories.

1628683325692.png

It puts down 286whp stock on 93. Tuned: 331whp, so yes OP you are correct.

Also, it is pretty widely known Ford underrates the EcoBoost engines but the rated horsepower is always on 91 octane for Ford EcoBoost engines in ANY application. Check your user manual for confirmation. They also recommend premium fuel when towing - even for F-150, etc.

If we're figuring 15% drivetrain loss that puts us at roughly 335hp at the crank. 390hp crank when tuned it appears. I'd imagine 330whp is what tuned Mustangs are putting down so that jives well.

Dyno sheets on the 2.7 & 3.5 EB's for F-150 also show similar power figures re: being underrated. Check out more dyno sheets and what not at 5startuning.com

2 things that are in the 2020´s advantage are:
1. Less curb weight: 4,900 lbs (2019 Sport) vs 4,345 lbs (2020 RWD XLT
2. RWD vs AWD: There´s more drivetrain loss with AWD/4WD (but better traction)

Variables: Fuel used (Octane), how many people inside the truck and actual working condition of the vehicles. How many miles did the 2019 Sport had? did you drive it from new? Same oil used? Worn spark plugs vs new would make some difference too

So in paper, the 2020 XLT would keep up, like the OP said, with the 2019 Sport.

Edit:

Form the 0 to 60 website Ford 0-60 Times & Ford Quarter Mile Times | Ford GT, Mustang, F-150, Focus, Escape & more 0 to 60 stats!

2013 Sport: 0 to 60 5.9 seconds, 1/4 mile 14.5
2020 XLT RWD : 0 to 60 6.8 seconds, 1/4 mile 15.3
But
2020 XLT AWD : 0 to 60 6.2 seconds, 1/4 mile 14.9
So the drivetrain loss is nothing compared to the traction gained from the AWD.

OP, I assumed you have the RWD, which one do you actually have?

2 things that are in the 2020´s advantage are:
1. Less curb weight: 4,900 lbs (2019 Sport) vs 4,345 lbs (2020 RWD XLT
2. RWD vs AWD: There´s more drivetrain loss with AWD/4WD (but better traction)

Variables: Fuel used (Octane), how many people inside the truck and actual working condition of the vehicles. How many miles did the 2019 Sport had? did you drive it from new? Same oil used? Worn spark plugs vs new would make some difference too

So in paper, the 2020 XLT would keep up, like the OP said, with the 2019 Sport.

Edit:

Form the 0 to 60 website Ford 0-60 Times & Ford Quarter Mile Times | Ford GT, Mustang, F-150, Focus, Escape & more 0 to 60 stats!

2013 Sport: 0 to 60 5.9 seconds, 1/4 mile 14.5
2020 XLT RWD : 0 to 60 6.8 seconds, 1/4 mile 15.3
But
2020 XLT AWD : 0 to 60 6.2 seconds, 1/4 mile 14.9
So the drivetrain loss is nothing compared to the traction gained from the AWD.

OP, I assumed you have the RWD, which one do you actually have?
We are on our road trip in Milford, PA tonight. Anyhow so let me try to answer your questions. I bought the 2019 explorer Sport new. Used Mobil 1 for oil in it. Always used 93 octane fuel. It was a fun vehicle to own. Took many road trips with it. Put 29k miles on it in just 2 years. So I'm well aware of its strengths and weaknesses. This 2021 XLT is amazing. Rear wheel drive. Fast as hell. We love it!!

To answer a few more questions, our XLT is 2 wheel drive and doesn't have paddle shifters. Which means there's no way to lock it into 7th gear which is the 1:1 ratio where it needs to be dynoed in. Oh well. But I will say it's fast. I've been using 87 Octane because we are just burning through it on our road trip. But I can tell a difference between 87 and 93. With 93 it's a monster. With 87 it's quick, but not a monster.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I love this. Especially coming from someone who has no idea what they're talking about. Don't leave now J.c. looking forward to your comments sir.

Back