The 4.0 Swap was chump change compared to this - Look inside... | Page 51 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The 4.0 Swap was chump change compared to this - Look inside...

we got a front end loader over to my dads the other day and added 2 dump truck loads of rocks into the trail. then on Friday we had a get together of rigs, had a blast, here are a few pics from saturday, we had to move a few rocks around saturday morning after the event was over.
D64-0B94B3AD2242-1118-0000022F1F142FD7_zps6ed1d167.jpg

28F-A192B9EDC8A6-1118-0000022F06EF05BB_zpsec2674f5.jpg

CA4-863F73472F87-1118-0000022EFD00B222_zps875c67cc.jpg

BD6-A4BECDC21234-1118-0000022EF1C8AE69_zpsdd1efaae.jpg

the last 2 pics I hopped out to get some pics and my cousin jumped in and drove my rig, I figured I might as well go with it and filmed him coming down, here is a short vid.
EB5-30A0BE26A243-1118-0000022F9D0688BF_zps85ec3ca0.jpg

bdos goes under the knife for cage this week. :smoke:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's cool. Now just get a few more loads for a hill to climb up and come down.
Handled it real well, I might add.

I watched it and now realize how lame it looked. There are much cooler lines in there haha. We have a few more dump truck loads coming in, a lot of it will be broken up concrete though.

Cage is being worked on, slowly but surely coming together. I re-did my shackle mounts and gained 2" o lift in the back, then lifted the front about an inch, sits pretty level now, it isn't noticeable from the driver seat but that little bit of extra clearance made all the difference. My laptop got water spilled on it but i'll update w pics when I get it back.

Still don't have a computer to add pics but my doubler had a come apart on me. It separated between the 2 cases bk the clocking bolts backed out. It ruined the bearing, front housing and the planetaries. Basically need a whole new front case, so i'm on the lookout for a 1350 case, until then the bdos is down.

pretty lame I haven't done enough work on the Dos to warrant a post on my build thread but I do have a pile of parts on my bench that include all the pieces to build a custom width HP44 minus the axle shafts, and the locker. I did make some bad ass progress on my rock trail today thanks to some good friends with a skid steer loader. Things are getting really crazy, i'm gonna need that d44 and front locker soon. here are some pics

I pulled most of the existing rocks out to start,
D5359EF2-63B7-4230-A3DA-D3D102F239D7_zps9sbtrglr.jpg

2985F40E-8A56-4C63-ABD9-545C424FDA7E_zpsf45iefc7.jpg

then we dug about 5' out under the existing hill, the plan includes a ton of slab concrete that we had donated from one of our friends boss, and then the rocks can go back in

3D225524-CAF5-4180-93AD-78EE50F1F5DB_zpsns14mqao.jpg

B43C9B91-E3F4-4E58-B177-2588CD960F80_zpsxhe5tbzi.jpg

this is all of the dirt out of the hole we dug, it will be the start of a new obstacle utilizing some of that free concrete.

E9C6A188-E2A8-4C0B-855E-2340A89CF298_zpscl5vvznv.jpg

I also have a few more dumptruck loads of rocks on the way, once my farmer buddy gets done planting grain. I'll post up pics as soon as I make any meaningful progress on the trail or the Dos

hey, its derald.

get to building that 44 already!

jealous of the rock garden.

hey, its derald.

get to building that 44 already!

jealous of the rock garden.

the 44 is cut down, I'm working on the inner c's now, i'll take some pics. I realize this is blasphemous but I bought my wife a 98 Jeep zj, i'm working on a 2" budget boost and 31's for her, so the dos had to take a backseat for a week. but yeah I need to play with my crawler more.

I'm pretty fortunate to be able to do cool stuff like build this rock trail, it started out as a couple pickup loads of rocks and has really evolved since then, we are talking about pouring some concrete now lmao.

sweet.

id like to get one started at my place. to many other irons in the fire right now though.

what are your plans for steering? heims, high steer, stock?

im thinking of doing heims in the stock location on the knuckles with some reinforcing to double sheer them. i think high steer is going to get in the way of keeping it as low as i want to, for uptravel.

sweet.

id like to get one started at my place. to many other irons in the fire right now though.

what are your plans for steering? heims, high steer, stock?

im thinking of doing heims in the stock location on the knuckles with some reinforcing to double sheer them. i think high steer is going to get in the way of keeping it as low as i want to, for uptravel.

I have 1 ton steering that is over the knuckle with TRE's and it works pretty well, I think i'll just stick with that. My tie rod is above the axle centerline, I've landed on it a couple times and it just shrugs it off.

got a little bit done on the 44, got the tube cut out of one of the c's and it's ready to go on, the other one is gonna be a little bit more work to get taken apart. Slow but steady wins the race I guess.
F14F1BB8-D76D-4E1C-A136-6813B6E4FD4C_zpsc3nwjpmx.jpg

i've been wheeling the bdos pretty hard for the past couple of months, it's been taking a serious beating and I finally broke something that is gonna slow me down for a while.
FCB9C6BE-B5DC-433B-AF58-31B8199ECBC8_zpse0gximl9.jpg

so now i'm looking for the back half of a 1350 or a 1354 tcase, but in the meantime i'm going to take the oppurtunity to finish up some stuff that I have been really putting off. I need to finish my cage in a bad way, I want to get rid of the front clip and hang my fenders and hood from an engine cage instead of the stock stuff. Also need to decide whehter i'm gonna stick with the d44 plan or go to tons, I have a rear 60, and I know that my end goal is gonna be over a 40" tire. A d44 just isn't gonna cut that. decisions decisions.

Back