The 5R55E and the infamous 2-3 shift flare issue | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The 5R55E and the infamous 2-3 shift flare issue

Well I ended up purchasing the EPC and the revised bracket at the local dealer for 108.00, slapped it in, topped it off with royal purple and BAM! I couldn't belive it, it shifts like a brand spankin new transmission. Not only is the 2-3 flare gone, it shifts 100% smoother in and out of all the other gears. Thanks for the help!

-Russ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same experience with the 2-3 shift flare for over a year. I repalced the bracket and EPC solenoid, and bam, like you said, problem gone. It has been many miles for me and all is still A ok.

I ended up changing the valve body plate and turning the EPC up.

Nice thing Ford EPC is adjustable. But are other thing you can do shift kits or computer changing the programming of the shift and pressure.

Trans shops check them on a specail machine and adj them all the time. Plus they also adj them to firm up the shifts who want a firner shift trans. There there other ways through the PCM. You drill the valve body and plate to change shifts IS changing the pressure and timing to apply clutchs, band, valve;s in the valve body. So whats the real differents raising pressure across the whole trans or just parts of it? As long you don't crank it in a ton maybe 1/8 or 1/4.

They are adjustable turn it in rises pressure out it out lowers it unlike GM EPC's you turn them mess them up.

I had the 2-3 shift problem and o/d flashing.I was out of warrenty and ford replaced some parts for $800.a yr later the same problem,but ford says it needs a rebuild,but they had a service bull.and rebulit it for $500.Its been 2yrs now and it works great.

Hey great thread. I was just curious if you had to drop the transmission for this repair? I'm not sure where these parts go. I just don't want to take it to a transmission shop and get ripped. I'm not the best with cars. Thanks.

Hey great thread. I was just curious if you had to drop the transmission for this repair? I'm not sure where these parts go. I just don't want to take it to a transmission shop and get ripped. I'm not the best with cars. Thanks.

You can service the EPC solenoid (or any of the solenoids) and/or the valve body without removing the transmission.

I'm having trouble finding the exact type of transmission that is on a 1994 Explorer automatic transmission and where to find the particular epc solenoid for this. Anyone? Thank you kindly.

Ack!

For some reason, I didn't pick up on the fact that you have a 94 Explorer. You have a A4LD transmission. It does not have electronically controlled line pressure, so it does not have a EPC solenoid.

1st Gen Explorer 91 - 94 = A4LD no electronic control except for torque converter lockup

2nd Gen 95 -96 = 4R55E 4sp Electronically Controlled Shift and Line Pressure

2nd Gen 97 -01 = 5R55E 5 sp Electronically Controlled Shift and Line Pressure

Ack!

For some reason, I didn't pick up on the fact that you have a 94 Explorer. You have a A4LD transmission. It does not have electronically controlled line pressure, so it does not have a EPC solenoid.

1st Gen Explorer 91 - 94 = A4LD no electronic control except for torque converter lockup

2nd Gen 95 -96 = 4R55E 4sp Electronically Controlled Shift and Line Pressure

2nd Gen 97 -01 = 5R55E 5 sp Electronically Controlled Shift and Line Pressure

:/ Yeah now I'm a little nervous because my transmission has the 2-3 flare.

I'm having trouble finding the exact type of transmission that is on a 1994 Explorer automatic transmission and where to find the particular epc solenoid for this. Anyone? Thank you kindly.

Yes. Oops! The 94 doesn't have an EPC solenoid.

I took it to a transmission shop last Saturday and the tranny tech told me that the whole transmission was burning out and that I should get it fixed ASAP. Later that day I put in brand new transmission fluid with lucas and filter and it switched gears as smooth as butter. Then a couple of days later it started feeling all rough again. They estimated it would cost $1200-2000 bux and $275 just to drop the damn transmission to inspect it. I'm in college right now and no way do I have that kind of money! Anyone have experience with technical issues on this? Thanks

What to fix the flare issue

Alrighty folks: I've read this thread thoroughly because I have the 2-3 shift flare on my 2002 Explorer Sport (not Sport Trac). It is currently an intermittent problem, and not too severe. The OD light has flashed twice, but went away after shutting off the vehicle.

In the past, I have changed the transmission screen/filter, and whatever fluid I could, so I have an idea of what it looks like.

So, what do I need? Should I get the entire VB kit, or can I get away with replacing just the one solenoid to solve the flare issue?

Drew

Ford has a historic pattern of OEM trans issues with all automatics. I'd suggest doing as much of the stuff that you can without removing the trans. I use a VB kit in every Ford I have owned. I'd get the VB kit, and depending on mileage, the EPC and a couple of shift solenoids. Under say 40k miles you should leave them alone, unless a symptom points to them.

Be sure about your trans, the 2002+ models are different than the past 5R55E. I think those are all called the 5R55W, be sure before buying parts and the kit.

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L V6 SOHC - 2/3 Shift Flare Experience

I too had the 2/3 shift flare issue on my 2000 Explorer. I had the tranny flushed & serviced at 20,000 miles and then again at 74,000 miles (I only put about 8,000 miles/year on the vehicle - I bought it used with 10k miles on it) and about 2 weeks after the 74,000 mile flush the 2/3 shift flare issue appeared. The flashing "O/D Off" light happened also. I took it to a transmission shop, and they found the fault code for gear ratio error in 3rd. They also found a blown valve body gasket and a warped valve body. They replaced the valve body with a rebuilt unit. The total was $743. It's been running well so far.

I would recommend that if you experience the 2/3 shift flare issue, get it fixed ASAP, before it turns into a more expensive problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hi, only my second post, but, i wanted to say that because of this forum i replaced my valve body and installed the ford upgrades(bonded gaskets on separator plate, and, valve in bore 207). got it filled up and running this evening, "most" of the 203 flare is gone and the reverse operation is as i would expect. it was slipping and not going into reverse all the time. the 2-3 flare was probably about 1000 rpm before the repair and now appears to be down quite a bit, not completely gone, but way better than before. the best part of this, i just bought it from a ford dealer and (of course) they said everything in the trans was perfect and couldn't understand why i was complaining about the 2-3 shift delay and rpm rise. i bought a vb from "tranzmissions" in florida and i'm very happy with the unit. also an update, the upgrade separator plate and valve kit from ford dealer was about 65.00. thanks again for all the help on this subject, hope i can help others, kjgces.

Back