• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

The adventures of exploding Exploder glass

briwayjones

Manual Master
Reaction score
City, State
Eldersburg, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
So I had been at work about 10 minutes when a co-worker calls me and says that my back lift window was shattered and to come down to the parking lot. I get down there and it looks like the thing exploded. I've had windows just shatter before because of the temperature but since it's tempered glass it just stayed together like auto glass does. And it seems they shatter because they are hard mounted and may have tension on them when expanding and contracting. But had never seen it with something like a lift window that has plenty of room to move around. Well there was nothing left of the window and glass was out in about a 15' radius from the window in all directions. There's not many people around my work at 6:30 in the morning and it didn't look like someone hit it. So it's about 20 degrees and I had fun cleaning up glass and taping up my window because it might snow. The only good thing is ironically I have an extra window.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Turdle

Lowrider
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
Hmm
Do the roof hinges seem loosened?

I once went to the grocery store-put my bags in the back and just then the mounting studs pulled right out of my hinges. I saved the glass but looked real funny doing it. I wonder if one of yours popped.

SVO42

Reaction score
City, State
Hatton, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XL
My Exploder's glass exploded one day when this tree just came out of nowhere and started wailin' on mine. :hammer:

IMG_0887.jpg

Nocturnall

Reaction score
City, State
Tempe, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Sport
Gotta watch those trees that just come outta no where. I had that same thing happen when a 96 chevy 1500 appeared outta thin air and slammed into my rear tire....don't think I have the pics of that anymore though :(

HUA99XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Monroeville, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4x4
Is there anything wrong with either of the support cylinders? If one of those would happen to fail it would be enough force to shatter that window. I've heard that this was a recall with some of the 2002 Explorers (I know yours isn't that year, but still).

briwayjones

Manual Master
Reaction score
City, State
Eldersburg, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
Was the rear defroster on when you left? I am wondering if maybe it got too hot somehow and then had some cold water or ice fall on it. Still doesn't really explain why it would completely shatter like that.

The defroster hadn't been on for about half an hour. I figure it probably was some kind of temperature differential that did it.

briwayjones

Manual Master
Reaction score
City, State
Eldersburg, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
Is there anything wrong with either of the support cylinders? If one of those would happen to fail it would be enough force to shatter that window. I've heard that this was a recall with some of the 2002 Explorers (I know yours isn't that year, but still).

How does a cylinder failing when the window is closed shatter it? They both are good and haven't failed though.

ghoster

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island , NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer
wow that sucks!
I think my rear window might explode one of these days...the way the glass start flexing b/c of the subs doesn't look too good lol

Paraphoe

Go big or go home
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Willow Grove, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
The defroster hadn't been on for about half an hour. I figure it probably was some kind of temperature differential that did it.

I don't understand how there could be so drastic a temperature change to not just cause a crack, but to cause the entire pane to explode. :shifty_ey

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
This sucks briwayjones -- time to hit up CrazyRay's

sn0border88

Master Apprentice
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Souderton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
well, if someone hit it the glass would be on the inside of the car, if it exploded it would be on the outside..

Sams01XplrSprt

Southern Cali Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Newport Beach California & Bay Area California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport (sold)
wow that sux bout ur explorer

briwayjones

Manual Master
Reaction score
City, State
Eldersburg, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
This sucks briwayjones -- time to hit up CrazyRay's

Ironically the only good thing about the situation is I already had another window. So I was able to just stick it on when I got home.

MONMIX

I fix dents
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
I doubt tempture had any thing to do with it.
That just doesnt make sence. 20 degreese is not that cold in the big scheeme of things.

I have heard of glass shattering when idiots try to defrost their windows with boiling hot water, but you didnt do that did you ? :shifty_ey