The battery drains then the door locks cycle on & off. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The battery drains then the door locks cycle on & off.

sphoto

Reaction score
City, State
SHINGLEHOUSE, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 AEROSTAR 4.0 AWD 6CY
I searched but could not find this problem. The battery in my 1996 Aerostar is losing its charge on a regular basis. I will be taking it to Autozone, where I bought the battery, to check it out tomorrow. When the battery is low and all I get is the clicking when I try to start the van, the door locks activate. My wife said they activated by themselves the other day when she was driving. The battery was low later that day. Are these issues related? Also, the LED in the radio is no longer working. Related? Help would be appreciated.

Battery checked shows ok

I went to Autozone and they could not check the battery under load. Their check indicated that the battery was bad. I went to Advance Auto where I purchased the battery and they were able to test it under load, with the engine running and lights and heater fan on. The battery checked out good with a voltage of 13.15, a measured cca of 647 rated at 750 cca at a temperature of 29 degrees F. The starter test shows cranking normal at 11.58 volts, 133.3 amps. The charging system shows No Load 14.47 volts and 15.5 amps, with load 14.43 volts and 26.9 amps and a ripple of 22 mv.

Drain test showed 1.77 amps after everything was turned off and interior lights were off. I opened the door to see the change with the interior lights on and there was little change. I closed the door and it dropped to .82 amps.

Any suggestions where to look for a power drain?

Start unplugging fuses while you are checking the amount of current being used. There is a constant high current draw on one of the circuits. Did you check the glove box light or the hood light? My 95 has no glove box light but some models have one. All of them have a hood light.

Back