The BFG A/T Mystery | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The BFG A/T Mystery

I've needed new tires for a while now, and up until yesterday I believed that the only obstacle would be raising the money. I went down to one of a few local costcos where they are doing a promotion 'till the 12th on almost all Michellin and BF Goodrich tires. I told them the tire I wanted (BFG A/T 31x10.5x15), which was included in the promotion, and they told me that they could not do it for my make and model. Costco in particular will not mount a larger tire than factory size because of a lawsuit a few years back. What's more is the guy who I talked to said that costco could be in another lawsuit if I were to get in an accident with this tire if they installed it. Assuming the accident was remotely my fault and the person I hit has a good lawyer, they could in fact sue costco for putting the wrong tire on my car. So I called a different costco, who at first said they could do it but it would be in metric (235), which is fine with me. But when I asked if it was in stock the guy found out that it comes down to how the tires are rated. Apparently they can put on a "P" rated tire but not an "LT", which is what the A/T is rated at. Bottom line is, I am being denied a good BF Goodrich tire and I get the feeling there's something going on here beneath the surface. We're talking about tires, not controlled substances, so what's the deal? Does this have anything to do with the recall? What do I need to do to get a decent off road tire on my truck? The Michellin and Goodyears they're trying to offer me aren't going to last a minute on the hell I'm going to put them through.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

go to 4 wheel parts...and they price match.

Tire stores are so stupid, I've heard so many stories recently like this.

That's a first for a Costco that I've heard of, but Discount is starting to be a pain as well.

It all has to do with the Firestone fiasco & lawsuits. It doesn't apply to just Explorers though. They are pulling the BS on car tires as well.

You can thank sue happy America for that.:mad:

I knew it! So all of these tire dealers are just being cautious because of the recall? I just read all about it about an hour ago, but what I don't understand is the connection between Bridgestone/Firestone tires in 2000 and me putting BFG's on my Explorer in 2008.

You can try just taking the rims in to have the tires mounted and tell them their off something else. It just worked for me at my local Costco with my 33" BFG mt's.

Huh...

I went to Belle Tire a few months back and put on BFG A/T 31x10.5's. The guy at the register looked at me funny when I requested that tire, then asked "Will those fit?" When I said "Yes" he went right ahead and put them on. It may just be that you need to try another tire store.:dunno:

I have a set of 5 31x10.50x15 BFG A/T's for sale if you are interested. They have less than 6,000 miles on 4 of them and about 750 on 1.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225546

And yes, most tire stores will not mount over sized tires on a vehicle for fear of getting a law suite against them.

just buy the tires and mount them somewhere else, or just bring them the wheels. It's none of there business what your putting them on;)

I did find one place that would mount them if I brought them, which does solve a major problem. But I think the biggest concern after that would be the lawsuit game. Like I was saying earlier, if I hit someone and it's my fault, there's a good chance that myself as well as my tire dealer are going to be in hot water. Probably doesn't help that I live in Southern California with a buncha crazy people. I'm sure it's a stupid question, but is that really a valid concern? Is it that likely that I will get sued to where I should avoid buying these tires? If so, how come everyone else on this forum can afford the risk?

. I'm sure it's a stupid question, but is that really a valid concern? Is it that likely that I will get sued to where I should avoid buying these tires? If so, how come everyone else on this forum can afford the risk?
Maybe you just answered your own question?

so don't get these tires?

I think should go back and tell them there right...and you 33's:D

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda confused

Try Sams-Club. They have them for $600 a set, mounted, balanced, full warranty, life time rotation,(every 8 k miles) flat repair, towing, included! They will special order bigger tires for you if you want, and install them. You just have to tell them that you have made all the necessary mods so they will fit. I just did mine last month with the same tires your wanting. I had no trouble with them at all, was very satisfied with the way they handled my rig, and even let me inspect the rig on the rack, not so sure they are supposed to do that, but it was worth it to me.

wow, they weren't hesitant at all? And does anyone know the real risk of being in an accident with the "wrong" tire? I'd like to think that the accident scenario is just one of the lines costco feeds its customers to cover all the bases and keep the customer from leaving

wow, they weren't hesitant at all? And does anyone know the real risk of being in an accident with the "wrong" tire? I'd like to think that the accident scenario is just one of the lines costco feeds its customers to cover all the bases and keep the customer from leaving

As long as you have a 4WD tyre on a 4wd, and the tyre has tread, then it would be very hard for anyone to prove that a tyre caused an accident. Of course, if the tyre blows out, then that would be a cause, but it is pretty hard to blow out a high profile tyre; low profile tyres are more susceptible to heat build up and blowing out from that point of view.

Why are you only going for 31's? I have 32" tyres (OK, 31.6" to be exact) on my explorer, and the ride is better and handling is about the same as stock. in Oz, you are legally allowed to go up 2" in diameter on a 4WD (but only 3/4" on a passenger car).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

....Discount tire in Orange on tustin or chapman will take care of you...So will Big O on Katella...;)

...For a price match they usually just call to verify..

Back