The Black Hole | Page 183 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 3327 has been selected as best answered.

Whats In A Name?

It was hot humid august night. The winds have all but vanished. I was doing my best to keep the sweat out of my eyes. The A/C was dying in my 94 Explorer, lovingly named "Pugly", and there was no relief in sight. I decided it was time to stop throwing good money into bad. I was gonna do the unthinkable,.......I was going to commit the most heinous crime of them all! I was going to trade Pugly in for a newer model! Oh the heart break! The insanity of it all! I couldn't believe the thoughts were even going through my head.

I managed to get the old girl back home, to her resting place. She seemed at ease in her familiar surroundings. I had to come up with an explanation to let her know of my evil plan. So i just gave her that old wink and grin that she likes to see from me as we made it back home from another day of adventure in the treacherous Midwestern terrain. I did my best in hiding my cynical thoughts, as I walked around to her rear flank and gave her that little pat on her bumper, as I always have when we part for the night.

The next morning I gave her a real good bath, cleaned behind her mirrors, and brushed her grill. She still looked pretty good for her age. Oh sure she had the tell tale signs, gravity has got its firm grip on her, and I am not the best cosmetics guy in the world. she didn't seem to mind too much, she still kept her nose up and drove with pride.

After looking at many vehicles I just could not find anything that had the same feel as my old girl. Then it happened! Was I seeing a mirage? Was I so desperate to find another rig that I was blinded by insanity? I found my replacement! I quickly made a sale with the owner, and brought it home.

When I pulled in the driveway, my heart sunk as I looked into the yard to see my 94 looking at me in disbelief. She was sunning herself in the grass looking all shiny and then, she just looked away from me. My heart was tearing in two. I parked the new rig, and walked up to her and gave her a soft spoken "Hello". No reply. I tried to tickle her mirrors, no response. The tension was so great, you could have cut it with a 32 count fine tooth hacksaw. I had to explain to her that she gave me great satisfaction for many years, and we made a terrific team together, but the time has come for her to just relax and enjoy her final days. She finally revved up, and understood, her days as my work horse has ended (so we thought).

I introduced her to her daily driver replacement. The shiny new(er) next generation of her kind. The 95 Explorer XLT. She warmed right up to it. Before you know it they were swapping stories. Now I had to ask her for help. I needed a name for the new ride,
so I went to find her, and what did I see? Those two were grill to grill in the driveway. rubbing chrome! I had to get the water hose out and break them up! Sheesh, she was acting like a girl at the prom dance! I let the name thing drop for awhile.

The new(er) Ex needed to get its shots, and a physical. When I got the word on it's health, I about had a coronary. "What do you mean Doc"! I yelled. "Your kidding right"? I asked. The Doc just shook his head and gathered his tools. As he walked away, He said it had a 50/50 chance of survival. My stomach knotted up, my teeth ground, my heart raced, and I could feel the energy build up as I let it all out, "Why! Why! Why did this have to happen"! I screamed.

The prognostic exam from the doc was as such. It had a blown steering rack, the shocks were gone, the brakes were non existent, front sway bar was cracked in half, the 3rd brake light was out, none of the windows or the moon roof would work, the door locks were broke, the rear end LS clutch pack was burned up, the tires were all in need of replacement, the spare was a Firestone recall and flat, the engine had a nasty tick to it, the TPS was shot, the MAF was corroded, the battery had a dead cell in it, the hood shocks were not working, the rear hatch lock was jammed up and you couldn't open it with out a key in the lock, The carpet was stained to no repair, the rear window wiper didn't want to work, and we could not tell what year its engine swap came from. it was a mess, to say the least.

I went in the house to get my gun. I was gonna just put it out of its misery right there and then. I suddenly realized I was out of ammo, from shooting at the jeep that was in my field. I went to the computer to find a place to buy some cheap ammo, and I stumbled across this website, explorerforum.com that said it could heal any ford Explorer no matter what the problems were! I jumped for joy, I could not believe the things I was reading! I wore out the search button, asked a bunch of questions. I quickly broke out my pen and paper, feverishly writing down things as I was learning! I had found a cure for everything that was wrong with my new transport. It was a Godsend, an angel from the SUV heavens!

I sprung into action. I worked day and night, Pugly was right by my side the entire time, helping me in any way she could. I never seen this side of her, and was really amazed at how well she handled the pressure. She gently squeegeed the sweat out off my fore head with her soft wiper blades as I worked away. After an entire weekend of work, I collapsed. I needed some rest, and so did the 95. The sun crested over the hills, and awoke me to a new day. I shuffled my feet to the window facing the driveway, peeled the drapes gently back, and peered out at the 95. WOW!
It had a its color back, and was looking great! Now as the time went on, (and most of my paychecks), and the selling of almost everything I own, for funds to get the 95 to its former glory.

After some time to reflect on this name thing, I strolled up and whispered into Pugly's passenger side mirror, and she giggled with delight.

I climbed up onto the front bumper in my pajamas and robe half opened, with a cup of coffee in one hand and the daily newspaper in the other, I raised my arms with out stretched hands and proclaimed the new name of the 95.

BEHOLD...........THE BLACK HOLE!!!!!!!! (Then the neighbor yelled at me to close my robe)

The End................(or is it just the beginning?)

Actually, only some of this really happened. :D

View attachment 324381

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, kind of guessed yours was too setup for a standard alignment job on, sorry to hear man, the story is a bit funny though! I don't want to know the charge for 40s either! Hopefully they can do a decent job on it

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

For the alignment, I wonder if you could use a camber tool for that truck. You might call this Maximum Motorsports about their tool, I think a lot of their customers do their own. It's only $60 so for that cost you have there, it might be worth a look;

You can do your own alignment??? Way cheaper then $250+ at the off-road shop

1/8” per side is exaggerated with larger tires I’m more like 1/16 per side or just set it at 0

I also set my camber at 0 with half tank of fuel and a driver in the seat

YouTube mechanic for the win!!

Here’s how it works
Measure the alignment before you put truck in air
Write down existing and desired
Do the math so you know what you are trying to achieve
Put truck in air
Make carefully measured adjustments on the truck when in air
Repeat until it’s perfect

It can drive you nuts trying to get it perfect, i will often take a break and come back to it later
Ifs trucks are more tricky especially the sla
I have a shop in town they do lifts, suspensions and front ends so I will take difficult ones to them, they are even $100 for front end alignment. Not very often so you find these shops anymore
He does them with tape measure similar to me he is just waaaaay better at it but I am learning. That’s $100 in my pocket everytime

I will sacrifice some caster for correct camber and toe especially with a lifted rig
Keep printout of your last professional hood alignment so you can see what they were able to achieve

Have tried many times. I just don't have the patience for this sla rig. Lol

Getting it close, is the best I can do. If it was a local only lifted rig, I could live with that, but it's not. It's a cross country cruiser and hauler.

Voted against purchasing new LCA'a, and will just rebuild them, for a fraction of the cost.
I Ordered a new set of Moog Bushings, & We shall see if Rockauto is affected, by the supply chain woes or not.
I will install a set of new BJ's in them, and keep the old for trail spares. Couple ideas for the skids too.

Going to wait until I have the new set of slide shaft CV's, to do that job. Might be a while, but hopefully before the first trip out this spring.

The list is getting long, with all I want to do this spring.

Another Unique Mod on the table.... 12v Electric E-brake conversion!
No more fugly failed drum E-brakes, and cables! This is the brainchild of KurtECV, and both of us are attempting to make this a reality, for the 8.8" and the 9".
This mod will get it's own thread, when it happens. It's not on the top priority list, but wanting to get it done by end of summer. If this one works as thought of, it's going to be one sweet mod.

Voted against purchasing new LCA'a, and will just rebuild them, for a fraction of the cost.
I Ordered a new set of Moog Bushings, & We shall see if Rockauto is affected, by the supply chain woes or not.
I will install a set of new BJ's in them, and keep the old for trail spares. Couple ideas for the skids too.

Going to wait until I have the new set of slide shaft CV's, to do that job. Might be a while, but hopefully before the first trip out this spring.

The list is getting long, with all I want to do this spring.

Another Unique Mod on the table.... 12v Electric E-brake conversion!
No more fugly failed drum E-brakes, and cables! This is the brainchild of KurtECV, and both of us are attempting to make this a reality, for the 8.8" and the 9".
This mod will get it's own thread, when it happens. It's not on the top priority list, but wanting to get it done by end of summer. If this one works as thought of, it's going to be one sweet mod.

What kind of change are you talking about the the parking brakes? I had the idea of trying to adapt the late model system such as the Fusion has. I don't really need it now, but the idea was for my work truck. I cannot reach the parking brake from the right seat, so I wanted a button like late Fords have to engage the parking brake. I'd like to see that done, which could be installed on a lot of older Fords.

Complete stock mechanical E-brake delete.
It will be a push button, all electric smart system, with Zero battery drain when engaged. It's not a Ford system.
When it's time for the new thread on it, I will link it here. That's all I can say for now.

Rockauto shipping has not changed in the last 2+ Years every part they said they had in stock that I have order has arrived when they said it would for the most part. There was one package in 2021 that took over a week when it was expected in days… no biggie, no issues just fyi
Rockauto loves me

Your electric e brake news makes me happy. I hate the stock cable setup

Good read about driveline brakes

Went to the salvage yard for Misc stuff, and grabbed a new set of cowl trims. The rubber glass seal on one side had come unglued a bit, and curled up the window. Drove me nuts to see that, so....

Cowl 1.jpg

Cowl 2.jpg

Cleaned them up, and shot them with a few coats of clear. Very wet in the pic below.

Cowl 3.jpg

cleaned and painted the wiper arms too.

Cowl 4.jpg

Ahhh...... Much better now.

Nice looks great

Been working 6 days a week, extra long hours lately. Been wanting to get something done to the rig, but just haven't been able.

Well this morning I decided to get a headache job started, knowing I couldn't finish it by end of day. Put the front on stands, and removed the Dr side LCA, to install the new bushings, and ball joint. Wrapped the CV end because we have a weeks worth of rain starting in the morning. I really dislike leaving the rig on stands that long, but it is what it is.

LCA Off.jpg

Ball joint came out easily with the BJ clamp. Front bushing was half way out, and was able to remove it by hand. OOOF! The rear bushing is where it got fugly.
The rubber bushing was destroyed.

Dr LCA rear 1.jpg

Dr LCA rear 2.jpg

When the BJ clamp was used, it just pushed the bolt sleeve out (was a little fight). I tried again using a socket to push the bushing out. Nope, just got the rubber out, and the bushing is frozen in place. I gave up trying to push the casing out. I'm just going to have to cut it out, a bit at a time.

Dr LCA rear 3.jpg

Dr LCA rear 4.jpg

Front side is good to go.

Dr LCA front 1.jpg

Will work on this arm when I can this coming week, and hopefully get it back on next Sunday. Then start the other side. Yep, a month of Sundays, for 4 new bushings, and 2 new BJ's. LOL
OK, now this had me thinking as to why these failed. Is it because they are just old, and they failed like normal after 27 years of use, OR was it old age, and the pressures created by 12 years of coil lift forces? These Coilovers are not straight, they angle to the rear at the bottoms. I use a longer than intended coil for lift reasons. Lots and lots of tension like that. Dunno, but if I get another 12 years, I'm good with it. Best part is I found the mystery clunk!

Make sure they are torqued after the vehicle is sitting at ride height, otherwise the bushings can tear!!

We have used a torch in the past to get the old bushings out… but I hate that smell and the mess

Make sure they are torqued after the vehicle is sitting at ride height, otherwise the bushings can tear!!

We have used a torch in the past to get the old bushings out… but I hate that smell and the mess
I will torque for sure.

Rubber is out, just the bushing casing remains.

I had an idea this morning. Might weld in a round pc of flat stock inside it. Then attack it again with the ball joint clamp.

Another thought was I'm sure hitting rocks while wheeling, stopping the rig dead in its tracks helped cause pushing the arm back. So now I'm thinking of welding on some type of roll over assist skids to them.

I used a hacksaw
I put the blade through the eye then put it back on my hacksaw
Worked great

I like Donald's idea. Once you get a groove cut the sleeve will collapse. Glad you are getting it done! That bushing hung in there for a good while though

I ran with my idea for skids on the LCA's. I seen why adding plate to these was a nightmare. The front and back walls are different heights, they're angled, and tapered differently. Nothing symmetrical about them!

So.... I had about 16 LF of schedule 80 1" pipe, and put it to use.

The whole point of this mod, is to simply get the front edge to go up and over rocks, Then slide over without catching the back lip or turtle on top.
I got one side welded up tonight. Tomorrow is paint and rebuild.

I have 4 bolts to get nuts on for the coil over brackets, and then the limit strap stud nut underneath. With this setup, all of them are easy to get too.
Can only go so far outward on these as the knuckle swings and bumps them near the LBJ. Inward is the hex hole that extrudes.

LCA tubes front.jpg

LCA tubes on under.jpg

A thorough cleaning in the morning, and air dry until lunch, then paint. Should be good to install the BJ, and Bushings after work. I'm happy with it.

Back