The Black Hole | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 3327 has been selected as best answered.

Whats In A Name?

It was hot humid august night. The winds have all but vanished. I was doing my best to keep the sweat out of my eyes. The A/C was dying in my 94 Explorer, lovingly named "Pugly", and there was no relief in sight. I decided it was time to stop throwing good money into bad. I was gonna do the unthinkable,.......I was going to commit the most heinous crime of them all! I was going to trade Pugly in for a newer model! Oh the heart break! The insanity of it all! I couldn't believe the thoughts were even going through my head.

I managed to get the old girl back home, to her resting place. She seemed at ease in her familiar surroundings. I had to come up with an explanation to let her know of my evil plan. So i just gave her that old wink and grin that she likes to see from me as we made it back home from another day of adventure in the treacherous Midwestern terrain. I did my best in hiding my cynical thoughts, as I walked around to her rear flank and gave her that little pat on her bumper, as I always have when we part for the night.

The next morning I gave her a real good bath, cleaned behind her mirrors, and brushed her grill. She still looked pretty good for her age. Oh sure she had the tell tale signs, gravity has got its firm grip on her, and I am not the best cosmetics guy in the world. she didn't seem to mind too much, she still kept her nose up and drove with pride.

After looking at many vehicles I just could not find anything that had the same feel as my old girl. Then it happened! Was I seeing a mirage? Was I so desperate to find another rig that I was blinded by insanity? I found my replacement! I quickly made a sale with the owner, and brought it home.

When I pulled in the driveway, my heart sunk as I looked into the yard to see my 94 looking at me in disbelief. She was sunning herself in the grass looking all shiny and then, she just looked away from me. My heart was tearing in two. I parked the new rig, and walked up to her and gave her a soft spoken "Hello". No reply. I tried to tickle her mirrors, no response. The tension was so great, you could have cut it with a 32 count fine tooth hacksaw. I had to explain to her that she gave me great satisfaction for many years, and we made a terrific team together, but the time has come for her to just relax and enjoy her final days. She finally revved up, and understood, her days as my work horse has ended (so we thought).

I introduced her to her daily driver replacement. The shiny new(er) next generation of her kind. The 95 Explorer XLT. She warmed right up to it. Before you know it they were swapping stories. Now I had to ask her for help. I needed a name for the new ride,
so I went to find her, and what did I see? Those two were grill to grill in the driveway. rubbing chrome! I had to get the water hose out and break them up! Sheesh, she was acting like a girl at the prom dance! I let the name thing drop for awhile.

The new(er) Ex needed to get its shots, and a physical. When I got the word on it's health, I about had a coronary. "What do you mean Doc"! I yelled. "Your kidding right"? I asked. The Doc just shook his head and gathered his tools. As he walked away, He said it had a 50/50 chance of survival. My stomach knotted up, my teeth ground, my heart raced, and I could feel the energy build up as I let it all out, "Why! Why! Why did this have to happen"! I screamed.

The prognostic exam from the doc was as such. It had a blown steering rack, the shocks were gone, the brakes were non existent, front sway bar was cracked in half, the 3rd brake light was out, none of the windows or the moon roof would work, the door locks were broke, the rear end LS clutch pack was burned up, the tires were all in need of replacement, the spare was a Firestone recall and flat, the engine had a nasty tick to it, the TPS was shot, the MAF was corroded, the battery had a dead cell in it, the hood shocks were not working, the rear hatch lock was jammed up and you couldn't open it with out a key in the lock, The carpet was stained to no repair, the rear window wiper didn't want to work, and we could not tell what year its engine swap came from. it was a mess, to say the least.

I went in the house to get my gun. I was gonna just put it out of its misery right there and then. I suddenly realized I was out of ammo, from shooting at the jeep that was in my field. I went to the computer to find a place to buy some cheap ammo, and I stumbled across this website, explorerforum.com that said it could heal any ford Explorer no matter what the problems were! I jumped for joy, I could not believe the things I was reading! I wore out the search button, asked a bunch of questions. I quickly broke out my pen and paper, feverishly writing down things as I was learning! I had found a cure for everything that was wrong with my new transport. It was a Godsend, an angel from the SUV heavens!

I sprung into action. I worked day and night, Pugly was right by my side the entire time, helping me in any way she could. I never seen this side of her, and was really amazed at how well she handled the pressure. She gently squeegeed the sweat out off my fore head with her soft wiper blades as I worked away. After an entire weekend of work, I collapsed. I needed some rest, and so did the 95. The sun crested over the hills, and awoke me to a new day. I shuffled my feet to the window facing the driveway, peeled the drapes gently back, and peered out at the 95. WOW!
It had a its color back, and was looking great! Now as the time went on, (and most of my paychecks), and the selling of almost everything I own, for funds to get the 95 to its former glory.

After some time to reflect on this name thing, I strolled up and whispered into Pugly's passenger side mirror, and she giggled with delight.

I climbed up onto the front bumper in my pajamas and robe half opened, with a cup of coffee in one hand and the daily newspaper in the other, I raised my arms with out stretched hands and proclaimed the new name of the 95.

BEHOLD...........THE BLACK HOLE!!!!!!!! (Then the neighbor yelled at me to close my robe)

The End................(or is it just the beginning?)

Actually, only some of this really happened. :D

View attachment 324381

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

The Hole did very well from what I saw. Now I need to do some catching up just to be able to stick behind ya. We'll see about that--:p::D

HAha! You have one issue to deal with, and I know you will take care of it soon. When you do, it is going to be hard for anyone to keep up with you!

Once The Black Hole has the front Sway bar disconnects, it will be even more capable. I could just remove them when wheeling, but I dont really feel like having to install them back on after a long day or weekend of wheeling, yup, I am lazy..lol!

Lights are finished finally!

16 lights in total. Seems a bit much, but each have some type of function to them.
All lights are switched in the ashtray now.

Roof:
2-- 100 watt 6" round off roads on custom steel light barwith custom EF covers supplied Zukmam

2--55 watt rear swivel mini's on the roof basket.
I can rotate these in a number of directions. working on something, turn them down to my work area. Driving on a night run in BFE, turn them sideways lighting up my side vision. Need light backing up, turn them straight back. Need light working in the rear? Turn them down.

Front:
2--PIAA 85 watt yellow fogs mounted behind the billet grill.

2--55 watt driving lights.

I replaced all headlight bulbs and runners with Sylvainia Silverstars. I replaced my old foggy stock head lights with a new set. Big diff!

Rock Lights:

4--55 watt mini's mounted under all 4 corners. These point straight down, lighting up the ground around my wheels.

2--12" fluorescent tubes sealed with black RTV for water. These are mounted under the cab in the middle of the truck. They light up the entire sides of the rig. These are nice,I am able to look out my windows and see the ground obstacles/water/mud.

2--rear led bars under rig where spare tire used to be pointing down.
Pictures will be posted later tonight after it gets dark out. :)

ok it's dark where's the pics??
:ttiwwp:

light pics

I need a better camera! Mine wont take night pics well. The shutter speed is to fast :(

Here is the best I could do for now.

Edit: And Photobucket strikes again!! Sorry folks, no pics.

Rear basket lights off
Rear on & rear rock lights on

Rear rock lights
side rock lights
Rear led lights

Led bolts under front bumper

When I get a better camera I will take some again and edit this.

This weekend the 5th shock is coming off!! Stupid thing is limiting my articulation!

Also have to install a new thermostat, the temp gauge spiked on me today, big time! Once the stat opened it cooled off right away, but I cant let it do that anymore, yikes!

Wheeled it a little too hard last time out, and the rear springs had lost some of its arch, so they are going back to the shop, and another leaf is being added.

The mirrors, pillars, and bumpers are getting painted this weekend as well.

I will update this after it is all done.

Notice that the way this is lifted, I don't have the front "Plow", or the huge drop brackets from the Torsion bars with a suspension lift kit. I have as much clearance as most do with a $2500 suspension lift.
Still more to do in the next 2 weeks!

just a tt right?

Yes sir, just a TT. But I have a 3" body lift.The 33" KM2 tires make a diff in the clearance as well. Sitting side by side with an EX with a 4" suspension and 33" A/T tires I sit even with it. The sides on the EX with the 4" lift has a little more rocker clearance, but the torsion bar brackets sit lower than mine do. In the front, i have more clearance with out the front drop bracket on the 4" lift. So its kind of a trade off.

yea, the drop bracket in front is ****. i smash mine up all the time. i did a 2" tt and shackels a while back, so that helps a bunch, but i havent been wheeling yet. i rarely if ever hit the tt bar drop brackets, but i dont rock crawl a lot.

i really like your truck, its very nice :thumbsup:

p.s. how much were your tires?

thats what they told me, and i **** my pants!.. so im looking at firestone destination mt's and cooper discoverer stt's

The Coopers are nice, they have some bite to them. But, i have to say, i do not regret getting the BF KM2's. These are the "Crawlers". They bite hard! The side lugs are pretty nice too. The sidewalls are almost indestructible. Even if something does manage to get through the sidewall, they have a lifetime warranty on them.

Worth the peace of mind in the back of my head.

.....UPDATE......

New front hubs installed.

Got the 5th shock removed,(more articulation) it was the stocker, worn out & crap.

Replaced the thermostat out with another 195*-- Burped the system.

Painted both side mirrors, bumpers, and pillars to black.

Tightened up the throttle cable. My butterfly in the throttle body was only opening 1/4 of the way. 3 zip ties later, and it is almost 100%.

Straightened out the front tag mount.

Getting ready to wash the engine bay.

nice, Yeah that 5th shock is a bunch of crap. I took mine off a while back and didnt notice any difference at all on the road. Good luck with the cleaning of the engine! Its very time consuming.

Well, it was a slow weekend for doing things to the Black Hole.

Only managed to get the fog light mod done, and give it a bath.

Fooled around with the stereo a bit, have an issue with the rear speakers not working so well.

Exhaust work(again) and some leaf pack maintenance is next up. Time & $$ are holding me back from this. After that, the gears are going in!

Finally ;), putting in 4.10's or are you going 4.56s?

Finally ;), putting in 4.10's or are you going 4.56s?

I was originally going with the .410's, but after some thought, I am going .456.

If I was going .410, they would have been done months ago with a front diff, and a rear axle swap.

The .456 set up is going to be a tad bit more costly. So it is save, save, save till I can get them installed. As long as I have them in by September, I will be good. Of course this means I am going to have to sacrifice my summer for this, but I think it will be worth it in the long run. :D

Definately, I had 4.10s in my truck to begin with but didn't like the power so I put in 4.56's and I will never look back. Good luck with the install. Are you taking it to a shop or doing it yourself?

Back