The Black Hole | Page 166 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 3327 has been selected as best answered.

Whats In A Name?

It was hot humid august night. The winds have all but vanished. I was doing my best to keep the sweat out of my eyes. The A/C was dying in my 94 Explorer, lovingly named "Pugly", and there was no relief in sight. I decided it was time to stop throwing good money into bad. I was gonna do the unthinkable,.......I was going to commit the most heinous crime of them all! I was going to trade Pugly in for a newer model! Oh the heart break! The insanity of it all! I couldn't believe the thoughts were even going through my head.

I managed to get the old girl back home, to her resting place. She seemed at ease in her familiar surroundings. I had to come up with an explanation to let her know of my evil plan. So i just gave her that old wink and grin that she likes to see from me as we made it back home from another day of adventure in the treacherous Midwestern terrain. I did my best in hiding my cynical thoughts, as I walked around to her rear flank and gave her that little pat on her bumper, as I always have when we part for the night.

The next morning I gave her a real good bath, cleaned behind her mirrors, and brushed her grill. She still looked pretty good for her age. Oh sure she had the tell tale signs, gravity has got its firm grip on her, and I am not the best cosmetics guy in the world. she didn't seem to mind too much, she still kept her nose up and drove with pride.

After looking at many vehicles I just could not find anything that had the same feel as my old girl. Then it happened! Was I seeing a mirage? Was I so desperate to find another rig that I was blinded by insanity? I found my replacement! I quickly made a sale with the owner, and brought it home.

When I pulled in the driveway, my heart sunk as I looked into the yard to see my 94 looking at me in disbelief. She was sunning herself in the grass looking all shiny and then, she just looked away from me. My heart was tearing in two. I parked the new rig, and walked up to her and gave her a soft spoken "Hello". No reply. I tried to tickle her mirrors, no response. The tension was so great, you could have cut it with a 32 count fine tooth hacksaw. I had to explain to her that she gave me great satisfaction for many years, and we made a terrific team together, but the time has come for her to just relax and enjoy her final days. She finally revved up, and understood, her days as my work horse has ended (so we thought).

I introduced her to her daily driver replacement. The shiny new(er) next generation of her kind. The 95 Explorer XLT. She warmed right up to it. Before you know it they were swapping stories. Now I had to ask her for help. I needed a name for the new ride,
so I went to find her, and what did I see? Those two were grill to grill in the driveway. rubbing chrome! I had to get the water hose out and break them up! Sheesh, she was acting like a girl at the prom dance! I let the name thing drop for awhile.

The new(er) Ex needed to get its shots, and a physical. When I got the word on it's health, I about had a coronary. "What do you mean Doc"! I yelled. "Your kidding right"? I asked. The Doc just shook his head and gathered his tools. As he walked away, He said it had a 50/50 chance of survival. My stomach knotted up, my teeth ground, my heart raced, and I could feel the energy build up as I let it all out, "Why! Why! Why did this have to happen"! I screamed.

The prognostic exam from the doc was as such. It had a blown steering rack, the shocks were gone, the brakes were non existent, front sway bar was cracked in half, the 3rd brake light was out, none of the windows or the moon roof would work, the door locks were broke, the rear end LS clutch pack was burned up, the tires were all in need of replacement, the spare was a Firestone recall and flat, the engine had a nasty tick to it, the TPS was shot, the MAF was corroded, the battery had a dead cell in it, the hood shocks were not working, the rear hatch lock was jammed up and you couldn't open it with out a key in the lock, The carpet was stained to no repair, the rear window wiper didn't want to work, and we could not tell what year its engine swap came from. it was a mess, to say the least.

I went in the house to get my gun. I was gonna just put it out of its misery right there and then. I suddenly realized I was out of ammo, from shooting at the jeep that was in my field. I went to the computer to find a place to buy some cheap ammo, and I stumbled across this website, explorerforum.com that said it could heal any ford Explorer no matter what the problems were! I jumped for joy, I could not believe the things I was reading! I wore out the search button, asked a bunch of questions. I quickly broke out my pen and paper, feverishly writing down things as I was learning! I had found a cure for everything that was wrong with my new transport. It was a Godsend, an angel from the SUV heavens!

I sprung into action. I worked day and night, Pugly was right by my side the entire time, helping me in any way she could. I never seen this side of her, and was really amazed at how well she handled the pressure. She gently squeegeed the sweat out off my fore head with her soft wiper blades as I worked away. After an entire weekend of work, I collapsed. I needed some rest, and so did the 95. The sun crested over the hills, and awoke me to a new day. I shuffled my feet to the window facing the driveway, peeled the drapes gently back, and peered out at the 95. WOW!
It had a its color back, and was looking great! Now as the time went on, (and most of my paychecks), and the selling of almost everything I own, for funds to get the 95 to its former glory.

After some time to reflect on this name thing, I strolled up and whispered into Pugly's passenger side mirror, and she giggled with delight.

I climbed up onto the front bumper in my pajamas and robe half opened, with a cup of coffee in one hand and the daily newspaper in the other, I raised my arms with out stretched hands and proclaimed the new name of the 95.

BEHOLD...........THE BLACK HOLE!!!!!!!! (Then the neighbor yelled at me to close my robe)

The End................(or is it just the beginning?)

Actually, only some of this really happened. :D

View attachment 324381

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Drivers side is the HARD ONE because of the accessory brackets, dipstick and steering shaft
The pass side only sucks to get access to the rear downpipe bolt....and with a long extension, 3/8 drive and wobbly I an get a straight shot from next to the cat converter. The drivers side downpipe bolts are straight up and down....yippie!!

no coolant behind manifold bolts, at least not on the 5.0
Remove the neg bat cable
Remove steering shaft, two 13mm, collapse shaft pull it out
Unbolt AC compressor and just move it forward a bit, ratchet strap or find a good spot
Tackle the downpipe and dipstick bolts first, the others are a breeze
If you have a torch hit those downpipe bolts then they will back right out

Is your replacement manifold the dorman unit?
If so consider removing any rough casting marks inside the exhaust ports with a dremmel

I bet when your old rack went some debris was forced into the lines
Note to self:
make sure PS hoses are clear before install because watching what you went through and not being there to help SUCKED
HOWEVER I see this truck in a whole new light. Any rig that will make the whole drip DESPITE the universe being against it, and still get you there and back = WINNER, good girl here's your treats. BII has NEVER left me stranded = shes still in the stable

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Got him mostly back together. Manifold was simple with the body lift and pre trimmed inner fender. He kinda has power steering but I'm not 100% sure why it isn't fully operational. I pulled the lines and blew through them and the PS cooler. No restrictions found. The restrictor is installed on the high pressure inlet as far as can tell and there does not appear to be an issue with flow. It seems to me like something is not allowing it to build pressure. My first opinion is there is something bad inside the rack.

Thank you so very much for all the help Mike. What you did today will get me home. That's the important thing out of all this. Once home, I can work on replacing the rack again.

Seems like everything needs to be replaced twice to get it to work right. Lol

For today, I am in great company, safe, warm, and patched up to get back home.

This has been one crazy adventure for sure. Still have a couple days to go, and not out of the woods yet. Back to the midwestern ( bermuda) triangle.

Have to get the trailer moved to a new spot in Kansas Monday morning, and get home by Monday night. Then back again with a different vehicle to get it home.

Buy hey, got one good day of wheeling with this rig out of it. Lol

New Manifold on.

20200829_135401.jpg

Old busted up POS manifold. Supposedly, these are off a Saleen rig used from 99-01 with less restriction in them than the 98, and supposedly less prone to cracking. Myth busted.

Mike thinks the smaller pieces happened after the fact, from the weight of it, and flex during use, getting it back to camp, and to his place. It was only the one crack (all the way thru) at the down, when it blowed itself up on the trail. It threw a CEL for the HO2 lean, on the way to his place.

20200829_130034.jpg

WHAT THE HELL??????????????????????????????????????????????? I know every cast part has a weak spot but
DAYYYUM!!!!!! That sucker blew up!
I have a special shelf for parts like this, stuff that has reeked havoc, each bit has a story behind it, that manifold would be up there for sure

Maybe whatever was blocking the flow found its way deeper into the rack now? Who knows, that just plain sucks. I have replaced plenty of racks and power steering pumps and I have never seen this before.
I was even thinking sheesh maybe his serpentine belt is spinning the pump backwards? LOL

Did anyone pull the belt off and spin the pullies? I'm wondering why the 230 degree water temps

Yes, it broke pretty good!! Lol

Mike did remove the belt, and check. All good. Water temps are fine, it's the trans temps that have been running hot.

Had to rest the trans at the bottom of monarch pass for about 45 mins. By the time I got there, it was hitting 235.
Rested again at the top for another 45 mins, as it hit 240 at the top of that 7 mile climb, in 2nd gear, doing 40 mph.

Made it to salida for fuel, and avg 58 mpg from top of monarch to salida. Lol

By chance do you have an exhaust hanger at your transmission mount? If its left out and the exhaust gets hit it will break at its weakest point.

Yes, there is a hanger there. I know what your saying Boomin. Best we can tell is ice cold water hit it just right. If not that, it might just have been hairline cracked already.

Right before Colorado springs my GPS says low battery, then it died. No idea when, but the auxiliary outlet in the console stopped working.

Plugged it in the rear outlet to charge back up, and will do again overnight.

Deffo something electrical going on.

What's next?

where areyou taking the trans temp? Factory sensor in the pan?

where areyou taking the trans temp? Factory sensor in the pan?
Yes sir, and reading that stock sensor with a scan gauge plugged into the dash port.

Never realized that Kansas has some long long grade hills in it. They're gradual but they caused the trans to hit 230 on one of them.

Without control of overdrive, it's just hard to keep the trans cool.

Kicking down only hurts it as the temps climb super high. Say it's doing 2500 rpm at 75. Hit a grade, and drop to 68 fast. Kick down jumps the rpms to either 3500 or 4500. Ugh.

230* is wicked high. Maybe consider bypassing the radiator and run 2nd factory cooler on the opposite side of the grill opening.

Have you checked your hubs for heat after driving? Might have some brake drag adding to the cause.

230 is what I'm told, is the beginning danger zone for this trans, but never verified that. What temps will actually grenade this trans, never found that out either.

New rad is bypassed, with larger than stock Hayden cooler, with a pusher fan. Been running the fan while on the hwy.

I plan on revisiting this setup soon, and see what more I can do for it.

Getting ready to pick up the trailer this morning. Luckily the owner of the company I work for, has in laws about an hour from here. They are letting me store it indoors until I can return for it.

This will be the longest day of on road use for this rig since a day in 2017. Ironically also a trip to Colorado. Figure 14 hours or so today.

WHAT THE HELL??????????????????????????????????????????????? I know every cast part has a weak spot but
DAYYYUM!!!!!! That sucker blew up!
I have a special shelf for parts like this, stuff that has reeked havoc, each bit has a story behind it, that manifold would be up there for sure

Maybe whatever was blocking the flow found its way deeper into the rack now? Who knows, that just plain sucks. I have replaced plenty of racks and power steering pumps and I have never seen this before.
I was even thinking sheesh maybe his serpentine belt is spinning the pump backwards? LOL

Did anyone pull the belt off and spin the pullies? I'm wondering why the 230 degree water temps

Had it happen to both of mine when Red got dunked.

20180825_114957.jpg
20180825_171403.jpg

Hot cast iron and water do not mix at all.

Sorry to hear about all the issues, Greg. 🙁 I know it's not fun dealing with this stuff on a trip like this.

230 is hot but its not going to explode
Consider your water temp normal operating range is 200-215 degrees, the trans should be cooler like 180-210 but 230 is not going to kill it
What the 230 pan temp does is start to break down the mercon V, shorten its lifespan and varnish the internals
Once you sort out the cooling you will want to change out that fluid
-fluid-life-expectancy-transmission-repair-guy-png.png

IMO and in my own experience Hayden coolers suck, you want a more efficient cooler.....
If the pusher fan is not dropping the temps consider turning it off, it may be restricting airflow to the cooling stack. If it is helping the temps...well obviously run that sucker.

Hayden fin and plate coolers do not work nearly as well as stacked plate coolers like the factory style of this B&M unit:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CIGE9G/?tag=serious-20

Notice the factory trucks come with this style cooler?

The cat converter right underneath the torque converter and the other one right next to the trans do not help these pan temps
My converters are well now that I am in Idaho they are hollow, I see them as a heat trap
The exhaust pipes are also wrapped until after the trans, the exhaust wrap pushes the heat further down stream

Glad you found a place to keep the trailer, that is a load off, literally

We are pulling for you!

Yeah, it's the tube and fin cooler. Going to search out the plate style for it.

Pusher is helping. I can see it drop the temps.

Looked at the cats, and can see how they will heat it up.

Found a blown fuse. The overdrive and console auxiliary works again.

Mechanic has the trailer hubs off and found one brake adjuster not on right. Its upside down, causing drag.

Also found one hub nut a little loose. Dang it!

Going to see how it pulls the trailer on route to the next drop off. If it doesn't overheat the trans, I'm going to attempt to take it home. I'm out of Colorado and the major hill climbs are behind me. Mo has some good ones tho. 60 mph od off, and 75 mph hwy speed limits will be risky, but if it gets it home, that's a win.

My transmission guy says the tube and fin type coolers do not work because the fluid flows through them too fast to cool. I have both, a large tube and fin attached to the front of the radiator, and a fin and plate cooler. The tube and fin cooler is mostly for volume since I have been schooled on coolers. Now that 410 said they don't work as well as the stacked plate coolers, I need to fine one of those. I also have a pusher fan attached to the front of my plate and fin cooler that decreases the fluid temps by 10-20* when I use it at crawling speeds. Mine really heats up when the torque converter isn't locked. When its locked, the temps drop dramatically. When off-road and pulling long grades I will put the Atlas into low range, and the transmission in 2nd or 3rd, then lock the converter. When on the highway I will pull grades in 3rd with the converter locked.

I am planning on getting my Explorer to the transmission shop sometime soon. The trans has been in there for about ten years and I figure its time to go through it, and maybe replace the torque converter. It was build by Bowtie so its living on borrowed time.

I was going to say the best thing would be fixing the overdrive off. It really helps.

Cold front today should also help.

Chevy trucks use the stacked plate style coolers, you can get them at Junk yard.
We have found the removing the tiny radiator fluid to fluid cooler and running dual factory style aux coolers works very well

Good tips about the OD off and converter lock up.........

Appreciate all the tips, advice, and help guys!

Left the shop a couple hours ago. Since I have control of the overdrive again, I found that 65 mph, at 3100 rpms, with od off, the temps are staying below 200, with the pusher fan running.

I passed up the new trailer drop off location, and am pressing on with it.

Currently at Hayes Walmart parking lot. Has to stop for some grease tubes for the gun. Shop ran out. Going to add some to the trailer bearings, via the center zerk.

Engine load has improved a bunch, after the shop adjusted the trailer brake hardware, and got the hub nuts where they should have been.

At this rate, it will be around 2am b4 I'm home. Going to be a hard one on this old man. If I start to get sleepy, I will pull off the road.

Hopefully this is the last post of the day here! Lol

Best wishes on the trip to bring the trailer home.

Do get some more cooler area in the truck, that will help the ATF temps a lot. I like Amsoil fluids of all kinds, and their ATF is about the best, but it's very high(around $10 a quart). It can survive that high heat much better than other brands.

mercon V is not far behind that $10 a quart from valvoline or mobil its $7-9

Back