The Black Pearl SAS and build | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Well now that Im Elite i figured Id start a thread to document my SAS build...

100_1653.JPG

5060.JPG

0414170712~2.jpg

0906171907.jpg

1027171821.jpg

1027171926.jpg

1027171946.jpg

Screenshot_2017-05-07-23-03-06.png

Screenshot_2017-09-11-23-25-57.png

0910171104.jpg

0910171147.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good call on skipping the meet. Need to take your time on all that stuff. Nothing like finding out you forgot something on a trail.

The shock boot will be better than nothing. They aren't as strong, but should last a while as long as they are clamped tight, and don't spin.

If that doesn't work, then you know what you have to do, to that shaft.

Thats what i was thinking on skipping the meet. im sure the boot will work

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

carrier breaks.png

Started to pull the carrier bearings off all three Dana 44 carriers i have to confirm which one is which. I have two Series 3 carriers (3.73 and down) and one series 4 carrier (3.92 and up)

All three are different deck heights so pulling the bearing and taking a measurement is required. I Lincoln locked the series 4 carrier but was also thinking if i had a second series 4 carrier i would throw a full spool in it but i guess i will run the Lincoln locked one.

Does anyone have a good diagram of the pinion setup on the Dana44? I believe the PO of this axle added an extra oil slinger behind the inner pinion bearing, still trying to find a decent diagram to confirm that. none of the other two had this extra slinger.

For reference: the Dana44 pinion bearing preload is @25 lbs In @ 210 lbs Ft (pinion nut torque).

Dana/Spicer spec is 20-40 lbs in for new bearings.

First round for the pattern check.
Drive side:
1556752673498-681577651.jpg

And the coast side:

0501191821.jpg

2019-05-02 12.59.08.jpg

Recovery points came in from Chassis Unlimited!!

Does anyone have any experience with SuperWinch locking hubs?

I have a set siting in the shop, i installed them once before but they would never unlock. I finished up the gear and "locker" install and decided to install one of the SW hubs and sure enough they wont unlock.

It seems to me that there should be a spring or something ) that's missing) that keeps the 19 spline flange from engaging the axle shaft... no idea what the deal is, i have looked up the instructions but those aren't very good about explaining what parts are included.. and google images doesn't help either and it seems that i am not missing anything.

What gives?

EDIT: Figured it out:
So I bought these used for $20 and the PO didnt have them assembled.

0504190008.jpg
0504190007.jpg

This is how i always attempted to install them^^ and they were always locked in place.

I got to looking at this inner gear. and noticed this little notch and wondered why it was there.
0504190010 - Copy.jpg
0504190010a - Copy.jpg

On the inside of the hub there is a little inner spring, if this gear isnt retained by that inner spring your hubs will not unlock.
0504190009.jpg

You can see there is an outside and inside spring. The outside spring is just to hold pressure on the lock/free rotory switch so it stays in whatever position you up the hubs.

You must install that inner spring into that groove in the inside gear.
0504190015a.jpg

In the above picture, the hub is in the locked position.
0504190015b.jpg

now it is in the unlocked position.

0503192119.jpg

When you dont have your 9/16 hex socket at home, you do what you have to do. Works well if you were on the trail
0503192119a.jpg

0503192115_HDR.jpg

Read to rock!

This cover is from Barnes4WD. 1/4 inch Ultra 100 steel LIFETIME WARRANTY!

x STEERING.jpg

I THINK THAT WILL WORK!!

Sunday i had a little fun. Checking things out making sure nothing was hitting or binding up.
0505191209_HDR.jpg

0505191215.jpg

0505191216_HDR.jpg

0505191209a_HDR.jpg

0505191215_HDR.jpg

0505191209.jpg

Unfortunately the tires didn't want to play and the top two kept getting pushed over.

The rear axle was firmly planted on the ground so i assume i would have been able to go further but i will have to wait until i can use an RTI ramp or something.

Speaking with a few friends. The coils are too stiff (they were free with my upper coil brackets so i used them for setup) they are full size bronco 6 inch lift coils.

A buddy of mine has TJ 6 inch coils, he said those are about perfect. So i am looking for a set of EB or TJ coils right now.

As if i didnt spend enough money on this rig already! @gmanpaint told me about a company that does online auctions and i won a set of rock lights from them on the first auction $80 bucks
Iris Series Rock Lights

Track bar and tie drag link angles look good. The only problem with those higher than OEM fill plugs is that the D44 takes 2.0 quarts of fluid. If you overfill them it blows past the seals and sometimes, like mine, seeps out of plug welds. I use a zip-tie dip stick to check the level with my SOLID cover.

Those rock lights look like a disco party.

Track bar and tie drag link angles look good. The only problem with those higher than OEM fill plugs is that the D44 takes 2.0 quarts of fluid. If you overfill them it blows past the seals and sometimes, like mine, seeps out of plug welds. I use a zip-tie dip stick to check the level with my SOLID cover.

Those rock lights look like a disco party.
Yeah those rock lights have a music function.. wont be using that very much lol.

I think i added about 2-2.5 qts.

The rock lights show to be delivered on saturday, not bad coming from Parker, Co. Guess that will be the order of business this weekend.

Saturday i am going to bring The Pearl into the dealership and check the alignment. Mostly wanting to check the Thrust Angle, center the steering wheel and set the toe.

Back