The Black Pearls LM7 5.3 LS SWAP! | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Black Pearls LM7 5.3 LS SWAP!

SO I guess the time has came early for my 5.3L LS swap on The Black Pearl!!

LET THE HATE BEGIN!!!

I have a buddy that is a drag-racer but started working for a ****ty speed shop in the area and now he is burnt out from engines and all that; He is getting into guns and i have built a few ARs. We did some talking the other weekend and we figured that one of my ARs is worth about the same as his 400-450 horse Gen3 LM7 (706 heads, Gen4 internals. Titanium valve springs, retainers and guides)

Currently the piston rings are gaped and it has a cam setup for spray but he just hadn't gotten around to get nitro setup in the car yet. This is in a late 80s Monte Carlo BTW.

This are some pictures i loaded on my SAS build thread so i will post them up here to keep it all in one place.

General LS pic.jpg
This is just a general picture i found on google but thats pretty much the setup i am getting.

I have some 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds that will be used (IF they fit!) that he threw in as well.

I went to the wrecking yard last weekend and picked up a 2000 tahoe fuseblock, harness, MAF and PCM for $40.65 out the door.
Junkyard harness.jpg

Started pulling it apart and removing ALL un-needed circuits, Factory fuse block, A/C, EVAP, Trans and a few other circuits.

harness remains.jpg

i also added a few circuits such as a secondary ground circuit for the Taurus 2-speed fan i have installed. The fans are controlled by the PCM, the PCM sends ground to the fan relays to turn them on/off at set temps (that will be programmed into the PCM when it gets tuned).

This is what we have left:
My harness.jpg

To clean things up in the engine bay i am going to use a Corvette style fuel system. There is no fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail, it in in-line on the frame rail. It also uses a return-less system incorporated into the fuel filter, with the regulator.

Screenshot_2019-01-03-12-27-01.png

450 is overkill but this pump is a direct for to the explorer in-tank fuel pump according to Walbro.

This fuel filter will replace the factory Explorer fuel filter. It is a Corvette fuel filter with a built in fuel pressure regulator. With a return line back to the tank for unused fuel.
Filter regulator.JPG

These engines require 60PSI fuel pressure and the 1gen explorers are only pushing around 30-40 PSI.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The whole setup sits pretty close to the factory location.
15825947453165174390353609489797.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

And got the gauges started. The black diamond plate is cutout for four 2 1/16 gauges and one 3 3/8 mechanical speedo gauge. The white plastic factory gauge frame is pretty rough cut to cleat everything. Thinking oil pressure, water temp, fuel level and trans temp.
15825948458904138752897686456688.jpg

The factory bulbs under the gauges are going to be reused as much as possible. The LS engine does have a low oil level switch in the pan that I can hopefully tap into the dash warning light as well.

And seeing as I am going manual shift tcase, the selector switch area for the tcase can be repurposed
20200218_220052.jpg

Getting closer with each step!

What about tachometer?

those gauges are going to look cool in the stock cluster housing

Getting closer with each step!

What about tachometer?
I have an AutoGage sitting round in the shop that works with the LS pulse so that will just get mounted on the dash or pillar somewhere

those gauges are going to look cool in the stock cluster housing

Yeah i was thinking that would be kinda cool. The diamond plate that is mounted in the dash (where the voltmeter is) needs to get painted black to match. i thought about cutting that out in the black but i spent waaay to much time cutting out the bare aluminum pieces so i figure ill just throw some black paint on a piece thats already made lol

TH400 seal kit is supposed to show up today.

Motor mounts should show up in the next week or so.

Still not sure what i want to do with the exhaust manifolds, thinking i am going to add-on to the factory ones. BUT the passenger side (truck) has an EGR port on it, I dont think i have ever seen another one with an EGR setup cast into the manifold. So i think i am going to pickup a passenger side truck manifold and use that one.

well got a few things ordered yesterday.
2200-2600 stall torque converter. The Goat-built brackets mentioned a few posts ago, and the motor mounts are all on their way here.

Found a local guy that had a set of dirt track shifters for sale for $20 bucks that i am going to use for the triple stick setup
twin stick shifter.jpg

Just the shifter, no linkage for it. It will work well in the space i have setup for it. Thinking i am going to add a third shift lever in the center of these two, extremely easy to do.
4400-4400-TC.png

The brackets are going to bring the alternator and power steering pump up 4 inches to clear the explorer steering gear, In the factory configuration the power steering pulley is almost on the same plane as the crankshaft pulley so that will definitely help out.

QUESTION: Does anyone know for use what size quick connect fittings the factory explorer fuel pump and fuel filter has?
At the pump i have 3/8 supply and 5/16 return, BUT at the fuel filter i believe i have 5/16 for both.

Also, when i was looking up specs on the fitting sizes i noticed that a local auto parts store listed the factory pumps as being able to push approx 70-125 psi... can anyone confirm this?

Check out the need for speed section....
I stock pump will handle the fuel requirements at low rpms but will begin to inadequate above 3500prm. The stock pump is only rated at 65lph while the Mustang pump is rated at 88lph for the older ones and 95lph for the newer ones. If you run the engine lean even in stock form for any length of time you can cause major internal damage. I recomend replacing the pump to be on the safe side. Too much fuel will be bypassed by the pressure regulator but too little fuel is the equivalent of dumping sand in to the intake tracted and hoping it goes through the engine without causing damage.

Found this in an old thread. Seems there are 145lph pumps made for stangs that can be used as well. Will increasing the line size help with volume? Like go to 1/2" line maybe? Pressure is one thing, but volume is another. I think that will help your gas guzzler a bit. lol

you dont need to up line size. itll get more volume than it needs and excess will be sent back via the return line. fuel filter is 3/8 by the way

fuel filter is 3/8 by the way

Thats what i thought too. But it is definitely not 3/8 at the fuel filter.

i dont know why i didnt look this up before but accourding to Orielly's website the factory fuel filter is 5/16 in/out.

I do see that the Fuel pump is 3/8 out (supply) and 5/16 in (return) so that is good.

So I guess the Supply fuel line will need to be upgraded. No big deal cause the fuel pump (explorer), fuel filter (corvette) and fuel rail (holley EFI) all use 3/8

weird. on my ranger i definitely put a 3/8 push to -6AN adapter fitting on the fuel filter. must be a difference in years or something. did that corvette filter come with the -6 thread conversion fittings? if so id use those and build a -6 line for the supply!

weird. on my ranger i definitely put a 3/8 push to -6AN adapter fitting on the fuel filter. must be a difference in years or something. did that corvette filter come with the -6 thread conversion fittings? if so id use those and build a -6 line for the supply!

Thats what i am thinking.
The plan is to have everything -6AN
The filter/regulator is a factory Corvette filter (my dealer keeps them in stock if needed) and i am buying the conversion fittings. I already havce one that was given to me

Thats the same setup basically. But the Explorer return line is already 5/16 so it plugged right into the Vette filter lol

Exactly lol. Why reinvent the wheel

Its like christmas around here!
Everyday there are new parts coming in for the build.
Picked up an autometer fuel gauge that will work with the factory sending unit (14-18 ohms empty, 155-165 ohms full)
20200301_185653.jpg

Now the only gauge left to buy is the trans temp gauge that is going to go where the electronic transfer case buttons went
20200301_185839.jpg

The voltage gauge was just for mockup
20200218_220052.jpg

Still need to either paint that diamond plate black, or cut a new piece out of the black plate i used for the instrument panel... thinking just paint it because i spent WAY too much time cutting that one out!

As for having the RPM gauge in place of a speedometer, it will be a rare occasion to have to worry about speed limits (its only a suggestion anyways!!) so for that i have a GPS app on my phone (that i use for my motorcycle) that i can refer to when needed in the truck as well

The -AN fittings all came in last night. I havec yet to buy the fitting at the fuel rail because I am not sure what style to go with yet becuase the engine is not installed yet (Straight, 45* or 90* bend) but the rest are already installed on the truck.

I also picked up a pair of turbo 400 to -AN trans oil cooler fittings as well.

I ordered 15 feet of Stainless Steel brained 3/8 fuel hose, that should be in this friday.

Motor mounts should also be in by friday as well. Still waiting for the alternator and power steering bracket to come in. No ETA on that yet, so i think that might be the holdup for setting the engine in place.

Cluster looks pretty slick! Nice work.

Parts coming in is always exciting. Getting them installed can go either direction, good or bad. lol

Keep chipping away a little at a time, and it will be done before you know it. I personally can't wait to hear this fire up, after the exhaust is on.

Back