The "Build-Up": 2.5 Fox Air, D44, ARB, 37 claws, man 1354, 1/4 elliptical rear, etc | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The "Build-Up": 2.5 Fox Air, D44, ARB, 37 claws, man 1354, 1/4 elliptical rear, etc

Alright finally collected just about every part I need for the build. One item not pictured are the Rubicon Express Extreme duty Long arms and track bar (with UPS right now).

If someone sees something I'm missing let me know, the transfer case on the ground is my 4405 I just swapped for a 1354 manual. Waiting my 4.88 yukons for the front to finish the axle.

Build finish date: 12/01/2007

Thanks to Izwack (pics and info learned from your posts), Gerald Jerret (original lift inspiration Damn you actually for making me do an IFS lift first), Jefe (for your awesome articulation and write-ups, my goal is to have more art. than you!), about a million others including the tranny guy (forget your name but your valve body rebuild saved me $1500 on a rebuilt tranny).

Doubler and 1/4 elliptical rear coming after winter is over hopefully.
Spacers for rear will give me 5x5.5 and make the width more equal to the front.

A few teaser pics, let me know if I am missing something.

Attachments

• 100_1303.jpg
    100_1303.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 669
  • 100_1304.jpg
    100_1304.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 678
  • 100_1305.jpg
    100_1305.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 676
  • 100_1306.jpg
    100_1306.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 668

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

some more info

What it looks like now and the Fox 2.5's (1 & 5/8 shaft!!).

Attachments

• 100_1307.jpg
    100_1307.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 640
  • 100_1138.jpg
    100_1138.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 650
  • 100_1125.jpg
    100_1125.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 647

nice build up so far!! nice shocks 2

Well it sounds like you've got everything figured out :D so we're just going to sit back, relax, and watch your build. Maybe I'll see you out in the Badlands at some point.

Subscribing.

cool

Well awsome start.

As soon as i sell my sound system im getting some 18" travel fox 2.5 shocks. AHHHHH

Well awsome start.

As soon as i sell my sound system im getting some 18" travel fox 2.5 shocks. AHHHHH

I hope you like shocks sticking out of your hood!

How much $$ are you going to have in this? Looks like you've assembled a lot of nice parts.

How much $$ are you going to have in this? Looks like you've assembled a lot of nice parts.

I knew somone had to ask. I added it up the other day and then proceeded to slit my wrist....

But either way you look at it, I haven't spent more money because I have an Explorer just the cost of lifting any vehicle: (tires and beadlocks:$1300, Air Shocks: $610, Long arms and Brackets:$1000, Dana 44: $200, ARB used:$500, Gears $190, 44 Outers (knuckles, arms, bearings, spindles, etc) $700. And lots more, Most of the above prices are extremely good from searching forums all over for the past 3 months.

A lot of people look at $700 for outters of the DANA 44 as super exspensive but it is what you'll need to do the job right:
Flat top knuckles:$200
High Steer Arms: $140
Hubs, spindles, bearings, brake brackets, calipers: $350
Warn Premium hubs: $60

And then the tools I started buying:
bandsaw with coolant capability, a 5/8 drill press, a 30 ton press, hobart 180 welder, and a hypertherm 900max plasma cutter.

Lets just say I could of bought a Z06 and made the payments for 3 years on a 5 year loan. and after the 3 years was up all the money I will spend on my truck would probaly pay for the remaining 2 years of the loan.

But I can't go fabbing up axles and brackets and bumpers on a vette. I mean would a Warn 9.5ti really look good on the front of one? Photoshop anyone?

Well it sounds like you've got everything figured out :D so we're just going to sit back, relax, and watch your build. Maybe I'll see you out in the Badlands at some point.

Two questions for you. I am going to try and use a yj steering box (easily tapped for hydro assit). Any issues there?

What are you and many others doing for front driveshafts. Complete new ones made, lengthened ones from 91-94 (1354 compatible), etc.

Thanks in advance.

I used the Toyota box so I can't really say much about the YJ steering box.

As for the driveshaft, I just used the old one as the D44 has the same 1310-series U-joint that the old IFS axle uses. All I did was buy a steel tube who's ID was exactly the same as the OD of the old driveshaft. Then sliced the old driveshaft and fitted the new tube over it to the proper length.

Haven't done much, all parts are here. Gears are going in this weekend.

I bought the Girlfriend a old jeep so I am getting it capable at the same time.

Tube fenders going on.

And the UPS man hates me!
shown below 4.88 front and rear for jeep
4.88 for my d44
5.13 for friends d44
5.13 for friends 14 Bolt

Attachments

• 100_1312.jpg
    100_1312.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 579
  • 100_1313.jpg
    100_1313.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 582

Looks like a good build, curious to see how the 1.4 rear turns out.

What vehicle is the d44 from?

What length travel are those shocks? (Burns, 18" travel is just unusable in an explorer)

As for my front shaft, I just took 2.5 and 2.0" square tube both 1/4 wall and welded on the stock d-shaft ends.

d44 looks like a Waggy

And the UPS man hates me!

but Yukon Gear Loves you!!

But seriously you must have gotten some deal buying 6 gearsets

nice start to this build
I'm subscribing

ya, guess it is. I was expecting the trac bar stuff to be there, but it has the cast in perch.

ya, guess it is. I was expecting the trac bar stuff to be there, but it has the cast in perch.

I am custom mounting the brackets for the Long Arms. I have a buddies old Dana 30 out of an XJ which I will use for mock up.

By the way the UPS dropped off 4 large Rubicon Express boxes. The last of my ordering, at least the big stuff. I'll post pics up later.

The Fox's are 14" travel, you really don't need much more than that. Once you get to 16 or 18" your axle/steering will be binding or your in your fenders.

I am installing the 4.88's and ARB and finishing the axle this week. (ball joints, brakes, and all).

Next week will be the holy grail of plasma cutting!! (anyone need an IFS with 4.88's, newer Aussie locker, upper control arms, TRE's, and a front 4" suspension lift, and some wheels and tires).

I'll setup a for sale ad in the correct forum later this month.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good! another midwest person! I'm still considering getting a plasma for my swap, i cant think of a good reason to not get one. my completion date will be much later that yours though.

as for selling your stuff, if you take the gears and lockers out of the diff, people should eat them right up. you might be able to sell the complete diff though(shipping would be killer but probly better for the buyer than having gears set up at a shop). when my front locker exploded, the gears came out unscathed and they sold in a day or two.

So why are you doing the d44 swap? hungry for harder trails or did something go wrong with the ifs?

Back