The California End of Summer Run. | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The California End of Summer Run.

And a second, and a third....................

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like I am going to be in North carolina for work during the run. Wish I could make it.

Matt

Well, I guess I'll still go without you Matt and Dave. It would be a lot more fun with you along though.....

Okay, it looks like we have ten people signed up so far. Is that all that are coming?

I broke down the sign up for who is camping and vehicle's. Don't take the vehicle classifications the wrong way, its easier to plan where we go if we know in advance the capibilities of everyone's rigs, which makes for a more pleasant trip for everyone (I was listed as "slightly modified" the first time I went to Truckhaven with "Serious Explorations", which motivated me to spend thousands of dollars and hundreds of man hours making me "Big Dog" worthy). This is what we have so far.

Number Camping: Eight

Number of Big Dogs (Lift and Lockers): Four (Rick, Positive Vibes, Goliath and Me).

Number of Medium Sized Dogs: Three (Arvin because he is Crazy, Stic-O, and Mendonca00).

Number of Stock Dogs: Three (my93X, Bobby Locs, Jim&Lois Kennedy).

Last edited:

I am bringing my Daughter Sarah (who is an excellent spotter) and maybe my Wife Rossana. She likes to keep me guessing.

Rossana is also great at scaring the crap out of me on every tough obstacle with a sharp intake of breath making me think she saw something I didn't and we are about to cause serious damage or injury. I still can't get used to that. I think its because I have only heard that noise coming from the people I work with when something real bad is about to happen. Usually followed by "Oh Sh*t!" (famous last words of many the world over).

Going to pickup the Explorer in about an hour from my buddy's shop. The double shocks in the rear were rubbing together at full compression and needed to be moved farther apart at the top. Now all I have to do is repack the wheel bearings, grease up every zirc fitting, get my A/C checked out, and install the new CB stuff. Oh yeah, lay sod in the front yard Holy Sh*t, I better get moving!

Last edited:

After reading the sign up, sounds like most people will be heading up Thur or Fri. I will plan on taking Fri off and getting there Thur night. Does this mean we get to do a run on Fri???

Also Stic-o if there is anything we need for the pot luck let me know. I can bring what ever were lacking in.

And we really should review the wood situation. It's no fun without a good fire to stare in!

I'm a medium Dog :D

We have to be really careful on the Fire Thing!

1. We need more people to get permits

2. Fire station is 1 mile away.

3. There are trees that hang over the fire pit.

4. Fire Danger is Extreme probaly

This will not be a T-haven Bon-Fire Sorry Guys....Not worth it! :nono:

Stic-o said:
I'm a medium Dog :D

We have to be really careful on the Fire Thing!

1. We need more people to get permits

2. Fire station is 1 mile away.

3. There are trees that hang over the fire pit.

I know we cant have a bon fire but at least enough wood to keep a fire in the pit. Does each person need to get a fire permit? Not a big deal we just need to hit the ranger station first.

With fire danger being extreme are we still sure we can even have a fire? Where we go we even have to get a permit for the gas stoves.

I've been following this thread off and on since the begining. Could somebody please direct me to where all the info is? I think i might be able to make it now and would love a shortcut to time and place and other info. Thanks.

Positive Vibes said:
I know we cant have a bon fire but at least enough wood to keep a fire in the pit. Does each person need to get a fire permit? Not a big deal we just need to hit the ranger station first.

With fire danger being extreme are we still sure we can even have a fire? Where we go we even have to get a permit for the gas stoves.

Yes we can have a fire...but someone with a permit must be there. The permit is free, and it is good year around at all national forests. The Fire station is 1 mile before you get to the camp. You'll drive right past it. You can get one there or at any ranger station in california.

zensius said:
I've been following this thread off and on since the begining. Could somebody please direct me to where all the info is? I think i might be able to make it now and would love a shortcut to time and place and other info. Thanks.

Just click at the bottom \/ or go to page 1.

if you do this every year, i will be more than happy to make it next year if i can. i dont think ill be able to drive it over there, because i have school this year and next year im off to the army, however, i get to drive everything the army's got and if i dont go off to Iraq right away, i will either borrow a chinook or have someone else fly me and my buddy outa kentucky in a jolly green giant. (im talking helicopters:) It will probly be alot but hey, my buddy's worth it. i just spent a helluva lot on just a paint job and some new parts. ive almost worn out my first pair of shocks which is kind of sad because its expensive, but rewarding because that means im not being a little ***** and im using the #### outa that four wheel drive. i figure if you can make it on a horse, i can definitly make it with however many are in my V6.... hehhehehe....

A run on Friday is sounding very good, since I should be up there Wed afternoon or evening. One day to hang around the camp, maybe do a little sight-seeing, then............Lets Wheel!

BKennedy said:
A run on Friday is sounding very good, since I should be up there Wed afternoon or evening. One day to hang around the camp, maybe do a little sight-seeing, then............Lets Wheel!

I will be up early Friday morning. I was going to come up Thursday night, but it's easier to set up a tent at 7 or 8 AM then midnight :rolleyes: I'll need to get settled (set up tent) then I'm ready to roll! Or if guys would like to some hard core stuff on Friday, I'll play spoter. :D

Went to re-pack the front wheel bearings this morning and found out my brakes are worn out. Glad I checked, am also glad its an easy fix. We can do whatever anybody wants on Friday, my parents are going to be there and do not have a modified rig. Maybe we could pre run a few trails??

I agree Brian. We could putz around and pre run a couple of trails.

Last edited:

prerunning sounds great, what time and what cb channel? i assume we meet at camp.

-lets wheel
joshua

How about channel three (3)? Time is not a factor for me as I will be there already. The morning is preferred.

Rick, when you showing up? :cool:

Last edited:

Stic-o said:

Fire restrictions have been in effect in the Sierras for several weeks already.

Fire restrictions apply to everything in the affected area - including private property!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone have the rangers # up there? No sense in bringing wood if we cant burn it. We should check on permits for gas stoves. I think gas stoves will be ok but when we go way up there we have to have one. So it couldn't hurt to check.

Back