The California End of Summer Run. | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The California End of Summer Run.

Positive Vibes said:
Anyone have the rangers # up there? No sense in bringing wood if we cant burn it. We should check on permits for gas stoves. I think gas stoves will be ok but when we go way up there we have to have one. So it couldn't hurt to check.

It was at extreame fire danger when I was up there. I asked the Fire dept. (National Forest) and they said it was fine as long as you have a permit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BKennedy said:
I have a gas stove permit good till the end of September.

Which National Forest is this?

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/

It would Sierra National Forest

Here you go..

"Fire Restrictions are in effect for High Hazard Areas, which includes all areas of the Sierra National Forest from the foothills up to 4,000'. No fires outside of designated sites. Designated sites include developed campgrounds, picnic areas and signed fire safe areas. In all other areas, campfires will not be allowed, however the use of a portable stove using gas, or pressurized fuel will be permitted. For more information on fire restrictions and to receive a map of areas covered by fire restrictions, please contact a Forest Service Office located in Clovis at 559-297-0706; Prather at 559-855-5360 and North Fork at 559-877-2218. Campfire permits are required outside of developed campgrounds. Campfire permits are available at all Forest Service offices free of charge. Conditions in the Forest are very dry so be extra careful with open flame fires. "

More Info : Here

My other worry is Bears! :eek: ...Brian! Bring your piece! :shoot:

Last edited:

Stic-o, we've been camping up around 8000' for the past 7 years. We have only seen two bears and that was on the same day at close to 9000'. And they both ran away when they say us. Weve never had a problem where we camp and we are way up there at primitive camp sites. Hope that makes people feel better.

Positive Vibes said:
Stic-o, we've been camping up around 8000' for the past 7 years. We have only seen two bears and that was on the same day at close to 9000'. And they both ran away when they say us. Weve never had a problem where we camp and we are way up there at primitive camp sites. Hope that makes people feel better.

Well that's good to know...We'll be at about 5500 ft. and pretty close to the road.

Stic-O, is there a pay phone near where we are camping?

And................did you notice if your cell phone worked at or near the camp site?

BKennedy said:
Stic-O, is there a pay phone near where we are camping?

And................did you notice if your cell phone worked at or near the camp site?

I Have Cingular and my phone did not work up there. There should be a pay phone 3 miles down the street in town. This is also where some public restrooms are.

Thanks Stic.

Looks like I will be up there sometime Thursday afternoon.

I just saw that bears thread.....funny. The only bears I have ever seen out on a trail were when I was backpacking in the mountains above Ventura. We stood there looking at each other for about ten seconds, then the bear walked away. I did not even think about getting out my .357 until after it left, it was just too cool looking to shoot. Saw a bear on the 101 freeway in Ventura while working the night shift up there. It was real young and got lost. It was darted and given a ride back up to the mountains. I got to feel it after it was darted and it was awsome.

But don't worry Stic, I always bring a gun with me......why, because I can, thats why. I have been carrying one for so long now I feel funny when I don't have one near. I worry much more about people (they are much bigger a^&holes) than animals.

It looks like we won't need to bring any fire wood for this trip. We can sit around a lantern instead. My parents left this morning and are staying at Edison Campground until we come up on Thursday.

I still need to bring wood. How do I cook my food then! :(

I'm pretty sure I'm gunna go up there friday and follow clarkkent and warform...but my parents are starting to trip out since it's my birthday they kinda wanna spend time with me...bah...lol...but I'm for sure gunna stay the the night on friday and might come home saturday night...=)

At this point I may not be able to to take Fri off. Not sure yet but just giving a heads up.

BKennedy said:
Oh, come-on brother! Call in sick or say your mother has the runs and you need to wipe her rear, that will get you out of anything! :confused:

I should know more tomorrow. Just depends on the work load. But I'm gonna try my best!

My Pops is up there already at Camp Edison and went by the camp site. He says its 1.6 miles up Dinky Creek Rd. Does that sound like the right place?

BKennedy said:
My Pops is up there already at Camp Edison and went by the camp site. He says its 1.6 miles up Dinky Creek Rd. Does that sound like the right place?

It was 3 miles almost on the nose in the Mustang we were in. 2 miles above Fire Station. Did he see the pictures of the site? There are no signs there. Just one that says Camping site limit 21 days and a picture of a Shovel and bucket under that. what did he say about it?

I'll call him tommorow.

Brian, ask him if he think's there is enough room for my camper and trailer. The whole deal is like 45ft long.

Rick said:
Brian, ask him if he think's there is enough room for my camper and trailer. The whole deal is like 45ft long.

Lenth isn't as much of a problem as height is there. Sorry I didn't check that out for ya Rick :( When are you due in?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Friday late afternoon more then likely.

How is the area for turning around etc.. This thing is very tall... Is there any other place nearby if this won't work?

Back