• Register Today It's free!

"The Caves"

93mazdanavajo

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Mazda Navajo
I was just wondering if anyone else here knew of "the caves." You can get there off of Prairie Star Parkway between Woodland Rd. and Renner Blvd.

You'll see on the side of the road were the red "yield" signs have been pushed aside. Let me know if you've been there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

can you go in there?
I've been in them several years ago--when they were full of businesses--you can get lost in there!!! If you get off the main road--it all looks alike--

I was chased out last time though, by a security guard who was determined to give me a piece of his mind--are we talking about the same place?

Yeah, I'm sure we are. Except I've been where you are talking about, but there are also some deserted caves on the other side that are not paved and they are a ton of fun. (plus no security gaurd)

Oh, I need to go with my wife and check this out--if I remember correctly, they are deep enough to stabilize the temperature--

I haven't been up there for a few years--isn't it off holiday drive??

I need directions--let's say from I435 and Johnson drive area--
My parents live in Shawnee, in fact we are going up Saturday--

If it's the ones I'm thinking of, I used to make some deliveries there in the big truck.That was 15-20 years ago.

The best way I can tell you guys to get there is take K10 to Renner turn North on Renner and go until you get to Prairie Star Parkway and go West. When your driving down Prairie Star (before you get to the bridge) look to your left and you'll see two or three red dimond signs and they are pushed aside. Drive through them and just follow the path untill you get to the rock (it's tons of white rock) and just look around you'll find them. There are three entrances to the cave and two of them are blocked off but the third is still open, when you drive into the caves it's amazing because the caves are deep enough to keep a temperature. (I'll try to get pictures up here sometime.)

Here's a video of my truck a long time ago in that area.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2532094563612704706&q=mazda+navajo

Yes, on the West side of Renner it is Prairie Star Parkway and on the East side of Renner it is 95th.

P.S. How do I upload an avatar? I can't find it anywhere. Thanks.

OK
Those are the Inland caves. Inland is the company who built, and rented the spaces for storage, and offices--if memory serves.
That was my stomping grounds--from '79-84 or so. You can go in there, but might get run out--

Didn't they have a sinkhole problem from parts of this--over in KCK--Argentine and Turner area??? I think that is why they stopped going that direction.
There were houses that sunk---

93mazdanavajo....

I'm looking at doing a video for the site, and I'm in need of some stocker video. Is there any way you could email me the video of your Explorer to leebo@explorerforum.com? I can use any mpeg or mov file. Anything you got would be great.

Thanks,
Lee

I've go there all the time, and although I have been run out, I have not been caught. So until that happens, I'm probably going to keep going back. Hah.

Ok Im in:D

There are some that are man made but are paved, but then there are some that never got paved and are just full of mud. Ahh, they are awesome.

Hey I was just working in the area a few weeks ago. Wish I would have known. I would have checked it out at lunch.

Back