• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

The Corona Virus - COVID 19 Thread

Risky Bizness

Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Sport Trac Limited
Was just wondering where you are located, your occupation, and if/how it has affected your life.

So far, where I am in SE Kansas, it has not affected me at all.

I am a service writer for a FORD dealership, and my wife cleans houses/offices.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

94Eddie

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Mountaineer Premier
I am self employed and work from home so I am not affected much other than having to barter for toilet paper. I live in Northern Virginia about 25 miles from DC. Most people I deal with don't understand what all the fuss is about and based on the statistics I tend to agree with them. I think people outside of urban areas aren't panicking much at all.

Lazerskull

Reaction score
City, State
Loomis, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997, Explorer, XLT
Was just wondering where you are located, your occupation, and if/how it has affected your life.

So far, where I am in SE Kansas, it has not affected me at all.

I am a service writer for a FORD dealership, and my wife cleans houses/offices.
I am in the San Francisco Bay Area. I work for a school and church, both were shut down. I have a little cabin in Truckee, which is near all the ski resorts and Lake Tahoe. I went there for a week. At first things were normal, then they shut everything down including all the ski resorts Sunday March 15. People there are pretty cautious and everyone seems to be wearing the gloves and masks like say for example at the grocery stores, also all the cleaning supplies are always sold out, as well as things like sliced bread.

I was driving back to my home in Hayward when my Explorer broke down. I towed it to a transmission shop. There are some busted pieces in the transfer case. Probably from all the heavy snow driving the past week. In less than 5 days we had something like 10 feet of snow drop down on us. Something around 3 or 4 feet a day.

In Hayward I live in a poorer neighborhood. And I think the poor people are less concerned about it. Because most people are just happy to stay home anyway and get paid, watch Netflix and smoke weed. My landlord is a master mechanic for Chevy. He says the service departments of all the dealerships are still open. So he still drives to work in the morning. He says there's nobody on the roads anymore, except for people like him, who work in what is called "essential businesses."

Before I went to my cabin, I stocked up my freezer with frozen foods. I have a few bags of rice and tons of canned fish and sliced bread. So I can make myself tuna sandwiches for a week, also use the frozen foods, etc. Last night I used Uber Eats and got myself a fresh made pie from Nations.
Half pecan half chocolate cream. Just to test it out and see if it works. The girl who delivered it had gloves and a mask on.

I am a teacher for a living so I do this every year. I take vitamin C, magnesium, zinc, and a special mix of herbs that help boost the immune system.

I think that even if I got the corona virus I'd be able to handle it. A part of me is curious if I could do it, just because I'm a weird guy like that.

I'd drink a lot of apple cider vinegar, eat a ton of garlic and drink tons of fluids. Id then cook a ton of brown rice and double bag them in paper bags and make like 6-8 bags full of hot cooked rice, bury myself in them in bed with covers all over them. Drink some elderberry juice and sleep it off. I'd probably be fine within a few days.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
I went to the grocery store for the 2nd time since the shelter at home started. Interesting day... I didn't realize that Tuesday morning from 6 to 9 is dedicated to senior citizens and immune suppressed individuals. I got there right at 9am and the lot looked totally normal, it wasn't packed like last time.

There was barely anyone in the store, no lines at the checkout at all. The only trouble was that the shelves were emptier than they were a week ago. There were a couple items on the bread shelves, nothing that we use, or want. The meat section had product in it, but very sparse. The seafood, and fresh cut meat dept was closed. Throughout the store there were loads of empty spots in every isle. No TP or paper towels at all. No bleach, or any disinfecting cleaners besides toilet bowl cleaner.

Produce was well stocked both last week and this week, so that's a plus.

The staff seemed quite at ease compared to last week. Lot's of smiles and chit chat with the folks I see every week.

shucker1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Metairie, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 5.0
Stationed right now as a refinery mechanic in Chalmette, LA.

Usually on the road working on gas pipeline equipment.

So I gotta work.

Attachments

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Sure glad I am retired. My side business of providing risk managers for large event security has completely dried up. Was offered a job watching a hotel that returning cruise ship passengers who tested positive for the virus are quarantined, but passed. The job was to keep people who were supposed to be in, and keep the people who were not supposed to be in out. No thank you, don't need money that bad.

Wife works at Costco in the pharmacy. She called me from the parking lot this morning saying it was completely full of old grouchy seniors. I am staying at home for the most part, and only going out when necessary. I do take the dog for a walk daily, but there are not that many people out in my neighborhood and its easy to keep distance.

JW

Third Gen Collector
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Valencia, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
A Pair Of Gen 3s
Professional: I work in our local hospital's IT department. As a department, we're getting hammered with immediate requests to deploy equipment, in numbers that are unprecedented. We have makeshift triage areas set up outside our ER, and have also dedicated two entire nursing units to possible and confirmed (only two to date) COVID-19 patients. We have a fairly high elderly population, so respiratory issues in general aren't uncommon for this site, and most of the acute respiratory patients we've seen have NOT been COVID-19 positive. This is a stand-alone single site facility that services a population of around 300,000 residents, just north of Los Angeles. The staff, especially on the clinical side, is handling things exceptionally well.

Personal: I don't go out and do much anyway, so the various shutdowns and stay-at-home edicts aren't really changing things for me. My tiny side handyman business was already very slow before Big Vicious Killer Virus broke out, so not much change there, either. And I've been having most of my meals in either my hospital's cafeteria or at a friend's, so I've not been too affected by the grocery shortages. The few times I have been in a grocery store, all of the obvious stuff is in short supply. No issues getting fuel.

donalds

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer sohc
Sucks here every thing is sold out so
No food other than what's here
No gd toilet paper only what's in the house
People are going nuts my wife works at the local hospital so far 3 confirmed cases

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
I already shared this anecdote with the moderators. Might as well share it here too just in case it could help someone...

When I moved to Phoenix in 1984 I was barely making ends meet. My first apartment was 250 sq ft and in a bad part of town. Money was so tight that there were times I would run out of toilet paper before the next paycheck.

I had to do something right? My father always taught me to improvise, make good with what you have. So, what did I have? The Phoenix phone book! The pages were thin, and the book was thick.:eek:

94Eddie

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Mountaineer Premier
Rick, the Sears catalog was the go to Charmin for many people back in the day. A person could do their business and shop at the same time. I wonder, how many sales were determined for Sears while the customer was having a bowel movement?

429CJ-3X2

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Des Moines, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 & '02 Sport Tracs,
Here in Des Moines, IA, things are pretty quiet. Traffic when I go to work in the morning is about 1/3 of what it usually is. Stores are a lot like Rick described, no paper products, lots of empty or near empty shelves. The packaged fresh meat dept at our nearest grocery store was pretty picked over except for the more expensive cuts, but the fresh cut meat section looked about normal.

My wife teaches an English as a Second Language class at the local community college, and those classes have been suspended indefinitely. I work on the printers in a hospital and they need those running, so I'm still working, but the hospital seems to be slowed down as much as possible. It's like a ghost town compared to normal. A lot of the non-medical staff people are transitioning to work from home. We have people out on vacation, and 1 out because he got back from a Caribbean cruise last week and has to stay home until next week. My boss is home sick, quite possibly with COVID-19. Won't know her test results for another day or 2. Anyway, we're down to 4 of the 7 people we normally have and still have almost nothing to do because there's so little activity in the hospital.

I'm not trying to scare anyone, but the official numbers of people with COVID-19 don't tell the real story. The numbers we see in the news are how many people have tested positive. Most people, even those who have it, don't qualify to get tested. If you don't meet certain requirements, like you have been to one of the hot spots, been around someone known to have it, have an extremely high fever, difficulty breathing or other risk factors, you won't get tested. No test, you don't get counted. If you think you might have it, you have to call ahead to the doctor or ER, and you'll most likely be told to stay home and how to care for yourself there. You probably won't ever be seen by a doctor. This is partly due to lack of test kits, masks, and gowns, etc, but also because unless you're at higher risk, there's nothing they can do for you at the hospital that you can't do for yourself at home since there's no treatment yet. If you were to go to the doctor or ER, you'd just be exposing everyone there for no good reason. My sister-in-law has had it for 2 weeks, hasn't seen a doctor or been tested, but has been in daily contact with the hospital. Since she hasn't been tested, she doesn't get counted. Their county doesn't officially have any cases, but the home health nurse told my brother there are others like her. They have it, but haven't been tested, so they don't get counted. The actual number of cases is many times the reported number. The upside to that is, the death rate as a percentage of actual cases is much, much lower than what's reported.
Again, not meaning to scare anyone, but the best thing to do for your own protection is assume everyone else has it. The best thing you can do to protect everyone else is to assume you have it and can infect everyone around you. I've done about a 180 in the past 10 days on how I see this.

ThreeJs

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas/Henderson NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB Explorer 4x4
NV is shut down. All non essential businesses are ordered closed.

Depends on store but a lot of things are sold out/hard to find. Guns and ammo..most sold out.

I work at an essential business so I still get up and go to work.
We are stocked with food, essentials and the means to protect everything.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
I forgot to mention that $175 worth of groceries cost $245 today. I actually got less than I would in normal circumstances and paid much, much more for what I did get. My shopping list was the same as usual, no stocking up, just a regular grocery list.

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
Here in L.A. it's pretty much all locked down.

I'm working from home for now, but had to take a pay cut for now and we'll see what happens from here. I run the online side of our business which is garden decor. Online sales are still doing well, but our sales to brick and mortar, have completely come to a halt, which is hurting the company overall. Not sure what happens next, but been here before.

Wife is a Teacher, and there district is still trying to figure it all out. Kids are probably done for the school year. Sucks because my daughter graduates from elementary, so will probably miss out on all the fun stuff, but it could be a lot worse.

Not scared of the viruses, scared of the world after.

Be safe out there every one.

Turdle

Habla tortuga
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
My grandpa used to tell me about corn cobs in the outhouse.

2 brown ones and a white one. Use the brown one then the white one to see if you need to use the other brown one.

429CJ-3X2

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Des Moines, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 & '02 Sport Tracs,
I stopped at the grocery store on my way home from work today. Still no TP on the shelves, but other than that and bare spots in the bread aisle things looked pretty normal.
My sick boss has a bad chest cold and a sinus infection, but tested negative for COVID-19. I expected her to test positive.
New restrictions at the local hospitals nearly eliminate visitors. Only certain cases can have visitors, and they're limited to 1.

410Fortune

Mud Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 Slightly Modified
My grandpa used to tell me about corn cobs in the outhouse.

2 brown ones and a white one. Use the brown one then the white one to see if you need to use the other brown one.
seriously?
Like you eat the corn then multiple people wipe with the cob? Or is it like toothbrushes every member of the house has their own brown and white cobs? So gross.......

we need the 3 sea shells

donalds

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer sohc
seriously?
Like you eat the corn then multiple people wipe with the cob? Or is it like toothbrushes every member of the house has their own brown and white cobs? So gross.......

we need the 3 sea shells
Funny quote
tumblr_oredhxbrvy1qmt01xo4_500.gif

Last edited:

410Fortune

Mud Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 Slightly Modified
Autozone and Oreillys both offering curbside pickup. Oh boy I bet the old already grumpy manager guy down at oreillys is just in love with this idea

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
seriously?

we need the 3 sea shells

Being that they live in corn country there were probably plenty of cobs to go around ;)