The cost of a simple little plastic insert, OMG!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The cost of a simple little plastic insert, OMG!!!

BBQ_HotDogs

A Man Without Wheels
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer (R.I.P.)
I went to Ford yesterday to pick up some more new parts for my 98 that I am completely remodeling. I got 2 new headlight assemblies, they were reasonably priced, my cost was $78 each and a new ash tray cup, not to be used for smoking, although I do, but not in my Explorer was, my cost $13. But I fell over to find out that the little cups, plastic mind you, that go into the cupholders was a wang banging $23 EACH!!! What the heck is going on? They list for over $30 each. These are some of the things that many just toss into the trash. The part numbers if anyone wants to check into this is F77Z-7813562-BAA for the AFT and the FWD one is F77Z-7813562-CAA. I bought them of course, being the perfectionist that I am, but holy moly. What really troubles me the worst is that there is an old price tag on 1 bag that says it cost $12.95 and is scratched out saying "wrong" on it. Surely these are the wrong prices for these 2 plastic inserts. If they are indeed wrong, I can get it cleared, but just need to check and see somewhere else. I mean almost $50 for 2 little rubber/plastic things to put in the cupholders? That is rediculous.

I am going to send the new ash tray cup to Phonix-Imaging and get it done in a red marble color. What do you think? Would a red marble color look good in my red console or should I have it painted red to match the console piece? Opinion are definately appreciated.

Here is the console now....

215125-7ConsoleTissue.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just do what I did, I went out to the car lot and found a ranger or Explorer with the doors open:)

Texplorer said:
Just do what I did, I went out to the car lot and found a ranger or Explorer with the doors open:)
LOL, that's funny. But I am just too honest of a person to do that. Now I could take them from a junkyard. But I wanted a couple that looked real nice for show. I am going to enter my Explorer in a contest next month in Houston.

I have been looking for the cost of these two pieces. I can t believe they are wanting that much for them. Have you checked with Torrie at FordPartsNetwork.com

You may want to do that since you have the part numbers. He will reply to you in minutes with the cost.

did you get the ash tray cup? if not i have one i'll give you

I ran into the same problem whenI lost mine..... in SC they wanted $30 for that thing :rolleyes: It cannot have cost over 30 cents to make it .

I'm learning to live without it.

Wait... there were plastic inserts?? This is news to me... LoL!

boominXplorer said:
did you get the ash tray cup? if not i have one i'll give you
Is it in the mail yet? LOL, I need one to send to Phonix-Imaging to get done in red marble.

Charlie's_93EB said:
wow, it that the color you are going to do?
Yes, do you like it? Have you seen my install running in the audio forum? (Worklog, 2 challenges 3 & 7) It shows allot more than just the console part. I am doing a major remodel of my Explorer right now, new OEM carpet and all. Spending more than I paid for the truck when I first bought it, LOL. But I hope to hand it down to my daughter when she is old enough to drive in about 7 years.

Go to the dealer for parts on a last resort basis only .

OEM headlight assemblies go on eBay for $30 a piece.

My dad had to go to Ford last week for a "EGR tube-to-exhaust manifold" coupler. It is, literally, identical to a normal male-to-male flare plumbing coupler......with one minor difference, it doesn't use standard plumbing threads. If it was standard, it would be about $1.50 at the hardware store.................but this minor difference makes it a Ford specialty part, and lists at Ford for $30. :rolleyes:

The EGR tube itself (with the nice flare nuts at the ends, and metering orifice) can be had for about $38 at Ford, but the little damn coupler needed with it lists for $30. Do the math.

Gotta love dealer only parts! :(

Oh my, LOL dang Robb, didn't know that. I guess the thing that makes me the maddest is that I get a discount off of new Ford Parts. I would say over 75% people here don't. They have to pay full retail, no matter what the part is. It is such a rip-off and then they wonder why we use aftermarket parts on our vehicles. It's a crime with a license.

BBQ_HotDogs said:
LOL, that's funny. But I am just too honest of a person to do that. Now I could take them from a junkyard. But I wanted a couple that looked real nice for show. I am going to enter my Explorer in a contest next month in Houston.

What show is that????

Texas Heat Wave in July in Houston, audio contest

I took mine from the dealer parking lot a few years ago. Then i accidentally threw them away because they were stuck to the bottom of my cups. Didnt notice until i got home.

BBQ_HotDogs said:
Texas Heat Wave in July in Houston, audio contest

I think you mean Austin, TX. :)

Is it in Austin this year? LOL, I was told here in Houston. You have any more information on that? You must know more than me for sure, LOL. I love to go to Austin, nothing like a cool dip down the Guadalupe.

Back