The Differences Between the 3.0 and 4.0? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Differences Between the 3.0 and 4.0?

DoOver

Reaction score
City, State
Catskill Mountains Of New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Loaded Long Wagon E4WD
Hello, I have a 94 3.0 2/wd. It runs very good and gets about 20.mpg loaded or not. I would have never looked at this van for work as I aways had a big V8 4X4. But I am very happy with its proformance. I am actively looking for a 95-97 AeroStar with a 4.0 4X4. I would like to know how a 4.0 runs and what kind of milage they get. Also the 4X4, how does it work and does it work good enough? I need it because I live in a very hilly, snow place. And this van will be loaded with tools and parts. This is a great site, I've been "exploring" the links.
Thanks,
Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Aerostar does not have the same kind of 4WD like the Explorer. The computer selects when it should go into electronic all wheel drive without changing the gear ratio. It does not have a high or low gear setting. These models consume more gas since they are heavier, have more moving parts to break, and cost a little more to register in NY since the registration goes according to the gross vehicle weight. The 3.0L, and 4.0L are very similar as far as gas consumption. You might feel a little more torque with the 4.0L if you plan on using it for traveling up steep inclines. If you will use it for work on a daily basis, then you could stick with your current 3.0L 94. I use mine for work too. I do electrical, plumbing, carpentry, locks, and other type of work. By the way, 20 MPG is pretty good for these vans.

Thanks for the reply BrooklynBay

What kind of front end does it have? The front axles must be locked in at all times? Do the front hubs/spindles have an outer and inner wheel bearing? Is this a coil spring or torsion bar front end set up? Is it possible to put a Ranger shiftable tranny/transfer case in? And how about lockable hubs off of a Ranger? Maybe a 8' Fisher power angle plow? Just kidding about the plow! By the way are you in Brooklyn Ny, Brooklyn. If so where is Brooklyn Bay?
Brian

I really get more like 21 to 22 mpg. I know this thing has more power than my 91 Bronco and it handles much better than the Bronco. I am a Volunteer Fireman. There has been many a night that I didn't think I would make it to the call. Anything over 60 was horrable. This van handles great and I love the hatch back for work.
Brian

It has front axles which don't lock. You could probably swap a lot of the parts over to it. It has front shocks with coil springs. There are upper, and lower ball joints, and an anti sway bar with links connected to the front cross member. I live a few blocks away from Brooklyn College.

The Differences Between the 3.0 and 4.0?

about 30 degrees, 6 spark plugs, and a few ponies

Back